News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 30, 2017, 11:20:46 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 30, 2017, 07:04:51 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 30, 2017, 04:55:13 AM
I'm basically screwed. Too much to do, not enough time. :sad sigh:

Sleep...pffft.
7 day account suspension?

Sounds like the rational thing to do, but I believe such a measure would backfire as if I couldn't post on HAF I wouldn't think of anything else all day! I don't want HAF to become a forbidden fruit I can't taste...

;D Ok.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Essie Mae on May 28, 2017, 11:27:35 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 28, 2017, 06:58:23 AM
Re: Soapbox Science.

Not quite the same but an idea I approve of, is something I am listening to on BBC World Service - "A Pint of Science". It organises scientists to talk, in a relaxed way, about science in pubs. Seems it has already been exported to other countries.
Science in the pub! Perfect!
Now you made me think of this again:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Quote from: Guardian85 on June 01, 2017, 07:05:12 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on May 28, 2017, 11:27:35 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 28, 2017, 06:58:23 AM
Re: Soapbox Science.

Not quite the same but an idea I approve of, is something I am listening to on BBC World Service - "A Pint of Science". It organises scientists to talk, in a relaxed way, about science in pubs. Seems it has already been exported to other countries.
Science in the pub! Perfect!
Now you made me think of this again:

Excellent. I'll have another please!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Speaking of black magic, I have a renewed interest in studying witchcraft again. I'm not planning to take it up as a religion but I think there are possibly some certain psychological concepts behind some ideas of majick. One's I'm interested in and want to implement myself. For example, self love.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on June 02, 2017, 03:55:39 PM
Speaking of black magic, I have a renewed interest in studying witchcraft again. I'm not planning to take it up as a religion but I think there are possibly some certain psychological concepts behind some ideas of majick. One's I'm interested in and want to implement myself. For example, self love.
:tellmemore:
That's nice.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Apparently for some silly reason, here in the USA, today is "National Doughnut Day"...and doughnut people have gone crazy. This is a "Grilled Cheese Doughnut"...things are starting to get out of control here. :P

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on June 02, 2017, 07:53:16 PM
:tellmemore:
That's nice.

Is self-love really a form of black magic?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on June 02, 2017, 08:21:38 PM
Apparently for some silly reason, here in the USA, today is "National Doughnut Day"...and doughnut people have gone crazy. This is a "Grilled Cheese Doughnut"...things are starting to get out of control here. :P

Well, I . . . ew.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

How does this work? I never saw a link between ideas of magic and something like self-love.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

It may not even be the magic itself but the philosophy that goes along with it. In some traditions they have this idea of finding the light in the darkness. Symbolically this could mean to someone that there is hope in even the worst circumstances. They also believe that there is good and bad energy. And some people send you bad energy. So you want good energy, and not bad.

With enough mental gymnastics, these ideas could be a form of self love. Trying to grow and cultivate good energy from a place of bleakness would be beneficial if you believed in it.

But as for the magic. I don't know specifics, but I think that people who "use magic" use psychological tricks to attract people and convince them of things that they want them to know. I want to know what those psychological tricks are if they exist.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on June 03, 2017, 07:59:44 PM
It may not even be the magic itself but the philosophy that goes along with it. In some traditions they have this idea of finding the light in the darkness. Symbolically this could mean to someone that there is hope in even the worst circumstances. They also believe that there is good and bad energy. And some people send you bad energy. So you want good energy, and not bad.

With enough mental gymnastics, these ideas could be a form of self love. Trying to grow and cultivate good energy from a place of bleakness would be beneficial if you believed in it.
Done properly it will probably work as well as any if the other "positive thinking" techniques that have been tried over the centuries. Visual aids such as madallas, vocal aids like chants, musical instruments (especially drums that are close to the human heart sound) can help "clear the mind", for some, in order to establish an environment for change,

At one point I tried a "meditation" technique where you make yourself aware only of the real world arround you, the patterns of pressure on your body from however you are sitting or laying, the sounds from the smallest/nearest to the loudest/furthest. The object was to fbe fully aware of only real world sensations and stimuli, displacing the bad memories or fears about tomorrow. Takes time and efgort to reach the right level of "outer awareness", and then take that with you into daily life, but it can help. And needs no equipment or special room, symbology etc etc., just a bit of quiet, a bit of time and reasonable physical comfort.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Another device that is sometimes useful is the comic strip method.  When you are having some mental anguish,  draw a mental picture of a single panel of a comic strip......The characters in the strip might be speaking.... the words will appear in the balloon. Mentally erase any words that are there.  Now mentally expand the balloon until it fills the entire panel. Nothing else in the panel is visible except the white oblation.  You now have a framed white space that you can contemplate for a few minutes. Concentrate on the blankness of the space.

This simple gimmick sometimes works to defeat insomnia.

Do not do this while driving, while operating machinery, or during a sexual encounter.

Velma

The occasional times when my racing thoughts keep me from sleeping, I shout "Stop!" in my head. Many times it does stop the chaos and allow me to get to sleep.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Arturo

Velma, that sounds like a trigger word that you've discovered/developed for yourself​. That's the stuff I'm interested in. Knowing people's triggers and exploiting them to help people let go of emotional problems.

Icarus, that's a good creative way to wipe away your problems. I do a form of that with thoughts

Gloucester, I think I did that before too when I was having a psychotic episode. I was trying to connect with things psychically.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

Ants. Seems the ivy has called in the ground trumps to support the air power in the form of hornets. I'm going to try a massive bombardment of a syrup/borax mix to take them out and go after the rest of the ivy. Fresh stocks of ethyl benzene should deal with the wasps and hornets. Operation Defoliate drags on anoother week...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz