News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Quote from: Guardian85 on October 12, 2016, 10:53:17 PM
Quote from: Velma on October 12, 2016, 07:07:31 PM
....He wanted to do an MRI, but I can't afford it right now.
Which really says everything you need to know about healthcare in America.  :???:
In more ways than you think...the MRI was only to rule out the infinitesimal possibility of a extremely rare benign tumor that can cause tinnitus. So not only is the MRI not affordable, it is yet another case of practicing too much medicine in this lawsuit happy culture. I was leaning towards not having the MRI even before I found out how much it was going to cost.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Icarus

Do see another ENT Velma.  The one you describe sounds like a an extraordinary practitioner of defensive medicine.

Velma

The doctor gave me some print outs with information and some sites to visit to learn more, along with a couple of sites that provide sound therapy. If none of that helps, I may look for another ENT.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Arturo

I started my new job today as an Uber driver. I was terrified but I made at least $50.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Apathy on October 15, 2016, 02:36:24 AM
I started my new job today as an Uber driver. I was terrified but I made at least $50.
Interesting. Is that $50 before or after costs?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

Quote from: Tank on October 15, 2016, 09:28:58 AM

Before, but it takes like $20 to fill my car up and I can drive all day on it.

Just checked my fares earlier, totalled $40 so I made about $80 today for three fares and 5 hours driving
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

OldGit

Asmodean

Quote from: Apathy on October 15, 2016, 10:51:18 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 15, 2016, 09:28:58 AM

Before, but it takes like $20 to fill my car up and I can drive all day on it.

Just checked my fares earlier, totalled $40 so I made about $80 today for three fares and 5 hours driving
Is that acceptable at your location? Because here, 80USD may often fall short of even buying me a five hour long smelly bus ride.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Average compensation per mile should be around 50¢. If you factor that in most of these companies are paying $3-4/hr.

Asmodean

As in, three to four USD per hour? Is that even legal? Even in the US?

...Oh! You mean after the 1/2USD a mile thing..? What's included in that?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on October 16, 2016, 03:59:48 PM

Haha I make 2.13 usd and hour officially. Of course I usually make the rest up with tips but still, some days it sucks.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Daym...  :o

I'm not a highly paid type of person, but even I manage to net about 30 before benefits. Yes, there are probably price differences between here and there, but still... Two bucks thirteen?! That wouldn't even buy me a lighter with which to light up my smoke.  :(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Asmodean on October 16, 2016, 03:59:48 PM

50¢ per mile should be covering auto maintenance. Gas, oil changes, etc. It would likely be somewhat lower for a taxi service because time is not in play - the driving itself is your job as opposed to an office position requiring an extra 50 mile a day commute for whatever reason.

Companies are generally not required to do this, so it can simply come out of your regular pay.

Companies that allo tipping also don't have to pay minimum wage, although most of the taxi services do not allow this yet. I keep hearing one advertise tipping allowed but I don't know their base rate.

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on October 16, 2016, 04:13:59 PM
Daym...  :o

I'm not a highly paid type of person, but even I manage to net about 30 before benefits. Yes, there are probably price differences between here and there, but still... Two bucks thirteen?! That wouldn't even buy me a lighter with which to light up my smoke.  :(

Well, waitressing isn't supposed to be a highly paid job but it is worth it sometimes. Even if the official pay is crap on a really good night I can net 120 USD in tips over an 9 hour shift.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

At least that's something! One can hope the tipping culture at your location is better than what it is here. Many people I know consider "keep the change" on a 195NOK bill paid with a 200NOK note to be a generous gesture, you see...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.