News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on September 28, 2016, 03:40:44 AM
I'm officially taking a break from HAF. I thought it would be best to announce it rather than just vanish and make you all wonder, though I've been here less and less anyway. I'm sure many of you expected that anyway (ahem...Mags :) ) Firechicklet is not here yet, but there's lots to prepare for, and now that my wife will be at full term tomorrow, she'll be here anytime within the next month or so. Despite complaining about how tired she is and how big she looks, Mrs. Firebird's doing great and we're looking forward to meeting the little bugger very soon.
I might lurk a bit here and there, and I'll be back sometime soon. Take care and save me a few drinks.
TTFN pictures when sprog arrives!!!  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Tom62

Best wishes and good luck, Firebird.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

We'll miss you. Come back soon.

Meanwhile lets give some cheer for Mrs Firebird who is the one that is doing all the delivering.

Sandra Craft

Happy days and some sleep-filled nights to you and Mrs FB and the Firechicklet (love that nickname).
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

So, the hunting party is off the mountain and the moose is cut to bits and hung to mature.
The party came down from our hunting area on Saturday, a day early because of weather. To give you an idea of how bad it got, my dad's boat shattered a window from the rough waters on the lake heading out.
I have already been down since Thursday, since the slogging around in either knee-deep marches or steep hills aggravated my old injuries to the point that I had to call it quits.

We only got one of the three animals we were given license to take down, but it was a good one. Big bull moose with 15-point antlers, weight after skinning and disemboweling was 308kg (680lbs). Sadly not my shot, but it was a team effort. Shame I didn't get any pics.

In sadder news, our neighbor died yesterday. Apparently he had a heart attack while hunting moose. Nice old guy, friends with my dad. Bit of a shock, really.  :-\

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Congrats on the moose. Sorry about your neighbor.  :-\

I feel like I should laugh every time I hear someone describe snakes as cunning and smart because mine has spent the last ten minutes trying to eat her rat sideways and still hasn't succeeded.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on October 03, 2016, 01:51:48 AM

I feel like I should laugh every time I hear someone describe snakes as cunning and smart because mine has spent the last ten minutes trying to eat her rat sideways and still hasn't succeeded.
Ah! This explains your fb post!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on October 03, 2016, 06:53:39 AM
Quote from: Buddy on October 03, 2016, 01:51:48 AM

Ah! This explains your fb post!

She did succeed after a while, but not without leaving a (literal) bloody mess everywhere. It's a good thing she's cute.

I should also add that I accidentally left the lid off her tank for like 30 minutes and she didn't even try to escape. It's fascinating how lazy she can be sometimes. I love it.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Firebird on September 28, 2016, 03:40:44 AM
I'm officially taking a break from HAF. I thought it would be best to announce it rather than just vanish and make you all wonder, though I've been here less and less anyway. I'm sure many of you expected that anyway (ahem...Mags :) ) Firechicklet is not here yet, but there's lots to prepare for, and now that my wife will be at full term tomorrow, she'll be here anytime within the next month or so. Despite complaining about how tired she is and how big she looks, Mrs. Firebird's doing great and we're looking forward to meeting the little bugger very soon.
I might lurk a bit here and there, and I'll be back sometime soon. Take care and save me a few drinks.
Au revoir and all the very best.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

If only I got a buck for every hour I procrastinate... :sigh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

For the first time ever I'm actually considering dating someone.

Velma

Today I saw the ear, nose, and throat doctor today for the tinnitus in my right ear. Well, I now am officially diagnosed, but there really isn't much they can do. I also have moderate to moderate/severe high range hearing loss in that ear. It doesn't interfere with most day-to-day activities like conversations, watching television, going to the movies, or things like that. I had a feeling this would be the outcome. However, there was the small chance that it was something easily fixed. He wanted to do an MRI, but I can't afford it right now.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Quote from: Velma on October 12, 2016, 07:07:31 PM
....He wanted to do an MRI, but I can't afford it right now.
Which really says everything you need to know about healthcare in America.  :???:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-