News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on November 27, 2019, 01:35:33 AM
I'm thinking about selling all of my tools and equipment. Maybe becoming a nomad of sorts, or at least able to be nomadic if I so choose. I have most of what you'd need to start a Fab shop, a farm shop at any rate.

I realized today that all of that is probably dragging me down. I don't have an affinity for money but my stuff is far too precious to me. I'll never be able to make the sorts of changes that I need to make if I'm worried about it.

Take a weekend or two to get everything ready and then list it at firesale prices. Everything must go! Or at least, that's what I'm thinking about.

This is madness, it's the devil trying to lead you astray, you've got to expect this when you're posting in your 6660s.
Keep your stuff, store it and travel if you must but keep your stuff, stuff is good, stuff is precious.
I don't like travelling myself, you can never take enough of your stuff with you and you know you'll need what you leave at home.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on November 27, 2019, 02:50:39 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 26, 2019, 09:26:58 PM
Quote from: Buddy on November 26, 2019, 05:25:58 PM
I leave my phone unattended for five minutes with my boss and suddenly I have a tinder date on Friday. Hope I don't get murdered

:rofl:

If you stop posting we'll know why!

At this point I think I'm in the back seat of my own life. Stuff keeps happening and I just roll with it.

Welcome to adulthood..
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 27, 2019, 03:32:34 AM
I'm thinking about selling all of my tools and equipment. Maybe becoming a nomad of sorts, or at least able to be nomadic if I so choose. I have most of what you'd need to start a Fab shop, a farm shop at any rate.

I realized today that all of that is probably dragging me down. I don't have an affinity for money but my stuff is far too precious to me. I'll never be able to make the sorts of changes that I need to make if I'm worried about it.

Take a weekend or two to get everything ready and then list it at firesale prices. Everything must go! Or at least, that's what I'm thinking about.

You sound like me. After I got my last degree, I wanted to get out of academia and chemistry to become a sculptor. To the horror of my science professors, I was accepted as a student at the Central School of Art and Design in London, but life had other plans for me. I think there is some creativity in you that feels stifled by your daily work routine. I am not saying you should take any drastic steps, but think you should perhaps at least take a sabbatical for half a year or longer and try something new. Travel to Europe or the East and get rejuvenated!

This.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 27, 2019, 03:32:34 AM

You sound like me. After I got my last degree, I wanted to get out of academia and chemistry to become a sculptor. To the horror of my science professors, I was accepted as a student at the Central School of Art and Design in London, but life had other plans for me. I think there is some creativity in you that feels stifled by your daily work routine. I am not saying you should take any drastic steps, but think you should perhaps at least take a sabbatical for half a year or longer and try something new. Travel to Europe or the East and get rejuvenated!

I would love to go east for a while. Either Thailand or Burma. It's be a while before I can make it happen though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

when i was a kid burma was a closed country. people that i knew who went to rangoon to set up offices had to import everything they needed to make it go. not even pencils were available there, you had to bring them with you.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on November 27, 2019, 12:28:34 AM
BR; torque to yield (tty) is a really bad designation but it has been used by non techno mavens as a descriptive.  Any material that is exposed to any sort of stress, in this case tension stress, will deform.  Materials all have a characteristic called Youngs Modulus.  It is in the engineering jargon called Modulus of Elasticity.  The symbol, small case e, is normally used in the evaluations of ultimate strength of a material.

Yield strength is a whole different deal.  At some point in the examination of the elastic modulus, that is when the material finally fails, we have reached yield strength. Yield point is when the the material has been so much stressed that it begins to come unglued.  The characteristic of steel and similar materials is that when stressed near the yield point it begins to contract in such a way that the area of the stressed part becomes smaller and then violates the elastic modulus which leads to failure. One can see proof of that concept at work when pulling taffy.

I have a sneaking suspicion that BR, and several others of you, knows all that stuff.  What the hell,  rocks and other materials obey the same  rules.   We have reliable information about the modulus of elasticity, and yield points of all the materials that we use in an engineering scheme.  ARP bolts are made of a high strength steel alloy that has its own strength characteristics.  The  elastic modulus is well determined and the recommended stretch of rod bolts or other fasteners at  critical junctions is well within, and far below, the yield strength.

Physics lecture completed.  The class is now excused to get on with more important things.....

im no engineer, so i only have a converstional relationship with stress/straiin relationships. i can't even remember how to draw up a mohrs circle anymore, and that was indeed with rocks, back when i was a geologist. so i am at thge limits of my understanding. but as i understand clamping force, the goal of torquing these bolts is to stretch them far enough into the elastic region so that they remain tight over the top at the end of the exhaust stroke and throughout the intake stroke, when the rod bolts are unloaded and under tension.. the manufacturer recommends seating the bolts and then stretching 0.005 to 0.0055. theoretically this is well below the yield point of permanent deformation, but ARP still says to measure the bolts and discard them when they show 0.001 inches of elongation. i assume that is simply the result of molecular creep.

my own recent blow up was with bolts that had only been torqued three times, perhaps 100 miles of full-throttle application:

rod was fine, one of the bolts wasn't tight and the other sheared, apparently.

here's a hundred bucks worth of bolts i now use for set up. none of these hacve ever been in a running engine, but they've all been tightened at least one time.

i appreciate your comments, by the way. like i said, my undersatnding of this stuff is conversational.

set the function, not the mechanism.

jumbojak

I shaved for the first time in a decade last night. Nobody recognizes me.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on December 06, 2019, 02:46:09 PM

Do you look younger now? That is often the  case.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Fifteen years younger, according to people I've seen so far.

Dark Lightning

Baby face, you've got the cutest little baby face...  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Are you going undercover or something? Don't worry, your secret is safe with us. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 07, 2019, 01:50:23 PM

Are you going undercover or something? Don't worry, your secret is safe with us. :P

Seems like it. Even people I've know for years aren't sure it's me until I speak.

Magdalena

Dave.
Today, one year ago:
Last Active: December 07, 2018, 12:23:05 PM.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74.
I said I would not forget him, so here I am remembering his advice...
QuoteTomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Well said Mags.  Dave had some wisdom to leave us with.

Ecurb Noselrub

Dave was a great guy.  I raise a glass in his honor and memory.