News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on July 25, 2016, 12:26:21 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 22, 2016, 03:15:03 AM
You two have been busy.
You shot a carer from a mental health centre.
Why? Was he being threatening?
No he was just lying there.
Ah, a trip hazard, they are quite dangerous, a threat to the community.

It doesn't get any better. The officer was apparently trying to shoot the autistic person sitting on the ground with a white toy truck in his hand who was next to the carer. "Bullet that struck caregiver was meant to protect him, police union prez says" | Miami Herald

So, something of a case of, "It's OK folks, we don't normally shoot black people here, just the mentally ill. And our officers can't hit a barn door anyway."

When one is in the shit stop spouting it!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Gloucester on July 25, 2016, 08:33:40 AM
You two have been busy.

It doesn't get any better. The officer was apparently trying to shoot the autistic person sitting on the ground with a white toy truck in his hand who was next to the carer. "Bullet that struck caregiver was meant to protect him, police union prez says" | Miami Herald

So, something of a case of, "It's OK folks, we don't normally shoot black people here, just the mentally ill. And our officers can't hit a barn door anyway."

My problem with this whole "protecting him" line isn't just that they handcuffed him (I understand that's standard procedure) but they left him lying there bleeding for 20 mins.  I'm sure the police are trained in first aid, they'd just about have to be.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 25, 2016, 03:37:44 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 25, 2016, 08:33:40 AM
You two have been busy.

My problem with this whole "protecting him" line isn't just that they handcuffed him (I understand that's standard procedure) but they left him lying there bleeding for 20 mins.  I'm sure the police are trained in first aid, they'd just about have to be.

The reported behaviour, and responses, of the American police - and especially small town police - never ceases to amaze ( and abhor) me. I am coming to believe that the portrayal that I used to watch on TV many years ago , and think a theatrical parody, is a pale shadow of the real thing.

Is the training and regulation so poor? Do politics play such a large part? Are the responses as often as self- protective as those I have heard in recent months?

Our Bobbies have their faults but I'll go with them rather than the American variety, thanks. But then, when anyone can get hold of a gun, legally or not . . .

xSilverPhinx

ZZzzZzZZzZZzz...Feeling so sleepy, had a rough night and couldn't sleep.

All it takes is one thing to worry about and it's full blown insomnia.  :sad sigh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 27, 2016, 11:14:39 PM

All it takes is one thing to worry about and it's full blown insomnia.  :sad sigh:

:console:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on July 27, 2016, 11:20:09 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 27, 2016, 11:14:39 PM

:console:

Thank you.

Solved a few problems this afternoon so I think I'll sleep like a log today. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Velma

(Inspired by my facebook feed today):

I can understand having legitimate objections to Hillary Clinton as president. However, if part of your rallying cry against her is "Benghazi!" I reserve the right to point at you and laugh.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Ecurb Noselrub

The Clintons are political animals who simply want power.  But even with her warts she is more experienced, stable and presidential than Trump.  She's the lesser of two evils and I will vote for her.  I can't imagine Trump as Commander in Chief of the most powerful military in history.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 28, 2016, 11:55:00 PM
The Clintons are political animals who simply want power.  But even with her warts she is more experienced, stable and presidential than Trump.  She's the lesser of two evils and I will vote for her.  I can't imagine Trump as Commander in Chief of the most powerful military in history.

So, much like the Kennedy clan then?

But, in your position I would be standing beside you! You guys have little choice if you rationalise it.

An American "expert" was saying earlier that there are 40% who will vote Democrat and 40 % who will vote Republican regardless who is in the frame. So the future of your country, and of the world to some degree, is in the hands of 20%. Assuming any of those actually get off their arses and vote.

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on July 29, 2016, 01:08:03 AM

But, in your position I would be standing beside you! You guys have little choice if you rationalise it.

An American "expert" was saying earlier that there are 40% who will vote Democrat and 40 % who will vote Republican regardless who is in the frame. So the future of your country, and of the world to some degree, is in the hands of 20%. Assuming any of those actually get off their arses and vote.

I'm voting!!!! Oh yes me! I'm voting! :frolic:
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Apathy on July 29, 2016, 02:14:00 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 29, 2016, 01:08:03 AM

I'm voting!!!! Oh yes me! I'm voting! :frolic:

Hi there 20%er!

Buddy

I find out if I get a promotion at work tomorrow. I'll be put on full time days instead of part time nights plus a raise to at least 10 dollars an hour. I really hope I get it and I'm so anxious for tomorrow.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on July 29, 2016, 05:35:34 AM
I find out if I get a promotion at work tomorrow. I'll be put on full time days instead of part time nights plus a raise to at least 10 dollars an hour. I really hope I get it and I'm so anxious for tomorrow.
Good luck!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on July 29, 2016, 05:35:34 AM
I'll keep my fingers, legs and eyes crossed for you!

Asmodean

A Norwegian tabloid is running a story about a secret tunnel "sowing doubt about Hitler's death"

Really? If memory serves, the guy was born in the late 1880s. I bet 1000:1 that he's dead as a fucking doornail.

My point is, why invent stories from things that are not? We have enough interesting shit happening in the world to fill the pages. Leave the Second World War to the historians. It belongs to them now.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.