News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: MariaEvri on July 08, 2016, 12:12:59 PM
you know it's |those" days of the month when you burst into tears just by watching a vid. of an airplane taking off
:therethere:
I know, "those days of the month when you burst into tears just by watching a vid. of an airplane taking off"   :weepy:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

MariaEvri

let's see what happens when I watch a video of a plane land!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

Woken early a Winter Saturday, wife talking on the  phone, my daughter is in hospital again.
"She's OK, I would have woke you if she wasn't."

500km away daughter doesn't want her local grandmother to come, she asks for her husband who is < a grandfather's asshole.
Things don't go well on an emotional level, daughter is upset, grandmother and < than asshole tells her to get over it.
< asshole could have been a soccer contender back in the motherland, but he didn't so get over it.

She's planed to win her age group in the world championship of her chosen sport this September, for years.
She pushes body her beyond endurance, embraces pains I can't imagine, I wish she wouldn't.

Minor collarbone fracture and major bike expense, car drives away.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

By the grace of The Asmo, ratties emerge victorious once again.

http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/129879/slangen-angriper-da-kommer-rottemor-til-unnsetning

(Note: video may be somewhat ad-prone)

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 09, 2016, 03:35:04 PM
Woken early a Winter Saturday, wife talking on the  phone, my daughter is in hospital again.

500km away daughter doesn't want her local grandmother to come, she asks for her husband who is < a grandfather's asshole.
Things don't go well on an emotional level, daughter is upset, grandmother and < than asshole tells her to get over it.
< asshole could have been a soccer contender back in the motherland, but he didn't so get over it.

She's planed to win her age group in the world championship of her chosen sport this September, for years.
She pushes body her beyond endurance, embraces pains I can't imagine, I wish she wouldn't.

That sucks, BPII. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 09, 2016, 03:35:04 PM

Bummer on 3 counts.
At least the collar bone will heal.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Something profound, sort of.

Ruminating on my life; no nostalgia, no sorrow, no guilt involved in this particular process. Perhaps Socrates hsd the right of it. Perhaps something in the book I am reading (one of those sci-ti jobs with moral questions in it) triggered it of.

I have had the experience of armed forces training and service (though as a technician, we were still last line combatants). I have helped fight an oil depot fire, climbed cliffs, skied slopes and plumbed the depths of caves. I have been scuba diving and parascending - but never managed to fit in  a free fall or paraglider flight. There were less than comfortable occurences in all of those activities.

I have fought years of depression, an almost fatal heart attack and the consequences of that. And come out an optimist.

Relevant to my thoughts of today, but not originated by me: fear can a tool that can be used to one's own advantage but panic may be the worst enemy one can ever face.

The last is, of course, assuming you never get on the wrong side of an axe or gun wielding psychopath in a confined place. Statistics are on your side in avoiding this.

So, "Don't panic Mr, Mrs or Ms Whoeve!"*

*Non-Brits may need that explained.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Agree that panic is a grave enemy. Keep calm, keep your wits.  In crises, things can go into slow motion - watch things develop and often a way of escape/victory emerges.  Unless, of course, you are surprised by a sniper.  Then it's lights out.

Dave

Later : Oops,, pisted in wrong thread, can't find one about "makes you think" or something...

Later still: nope, "Makes you think" is about current affairs - so I mis-posted in that one really.

What a dork!  ;)

Reading that same book, still . . .

Probably anecdotal but illustrative of a way of thinking. During the last war the boffins carefully plotted every bullet hole in returning bombers, analysed these and presented the results for the brass to debate.

It was decided that armouring the "favoured" target areas on the aircraft was a good idea - until a Flight Leutenant cleared his throat.

"You have something to say,  Flight Leutenant?" asked the senior officer, haughtily.

"Yes, sir, I suggest you armour everywhere but these areas. After all, these aircraft came back."

He remained a Flight Leutenant for the renainder of the war.

The morals:

Look at both sides of the evidence before you.
and
Smartasses do not prosper when idiots are in charge.

xSilverPhinx

I just installed Win 10, I hope I don't regret that decision.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 11, 2016, 06:38:52 PM
I just installed Win 10, I hope I don't regret that decision.
I have it but mine was an early version that you can make look and work like 7 or 8. I hate the "Metro" desktop so use the "classic" one.

Later versions of Office do work faster with it and, so far, no probs with most of the upper end non-Microshioft applications. But some, like my new blood pressure meter, won't work with 10. That is not MS's fault (for a change).

Icarus

Gloucester; Don't sweat the inevitable doom of the worlds collective intelligence.  Therefore keep your BP in check. HAF needs the likes of you and quite few other of our forum sages.

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Thanks for that, Bad Penny II. Never heard of neenish tarts, though I'd probably enjoy them. Wikipedia gives the origin as Germany, but with no basis for that attribution. I enjoyed the story of the search for the origin, and the little kicker about Ruby Neenish at the end.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken