News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: MariaEvri on June 28, 2016, 05:52:04 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 28, 2016, 07:01:00 AM
Quote from: No one on June 28, 2016, 03:22:05 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on June 27, 2016, 11:31:43 AM
I need to get out more, or perhaps not.

Outside, that's where the people are. People are not good.
No different from in here really.

people are evil!
People are often stupid
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on June 30, 2016, 08:22:29 PM

people are evil!
People are often stupid
And 50% have a below average IQ!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Essie Mae

Quote from: MariaEvri on June 30, 2016, 08:19:03 PM
we can meet behind safety glass  :o

Well it's some sort of progress I guess.  :)
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Velma

Quote from: Essie Mae on June 29, 2016, 09:09:34 PM
Quote from: Velma on June 29, 2016, 08:05:33 PM

Jean-Paul Sartre: "Hell is other people."

people are evil!
Maria, No one and Velma, some of us are not so threatening and even quite pleasant.  I wish I could  meet you all and prove it.
I have been told that I am too nice for my own good sometimes.  :)
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on July 03, 2016, 01:26:58 AM
I don't know, you can be a very very naughty girl when you're in the mood ;)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Velma

Quote from: Tank on July 03, 2016, 10:36:41 AM
When I'm in the mood.  ;)
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on July 03, 2016, 05:54:51 PM
;D

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on July 03, 2016, 07:43:17 PM
Quote from: Velma on July 03, 2016, 05:54:51 PM
;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ali

I'm starting to think our dog is genuinely dumb. She has been pretty difficult to house train, but I figure she's only 6 months old, so she is still a baby. But. Today we bought and installed a dog door for her. I spent quite a but of time and treats gradually getting her used to coming through the door when the flap was completely open, then when I only held it partially open, and then having her nose her way through it. After that I put her dinner out on the porch, and she came through the dog door with no help, and then back through it again when she wanted to come inside. Success! Two hours later...she has never seen a dog door in her life. She has no idea what it is, or what I want her to do.

So then, I gave her a dog IQ test that I found online.

Step 1: Call your dog. Do they come? Do they know their name? She came! So far so good! *
Step 2: Put a blanket over them. Do they claw their way out? No.
She eventually started wandering around the house with a blanket over her, like "welp, I guess this is my life now."
Step 3: Show the dog a treat. In front of the dog, hide the treat under a cup. Do they nose or paw the cup over to get the treat? No. She stared at the cup and stared at me, but never tried to knock the cup over to get the treat.

*After the dismal failure of the other two tests, I tried calling "Come here Train Tracks" in the same tone of voice. She came. :/

Conclusion: my dog may be dumb.

Ecurb Noselrub

Yep, she's dumb.  There are worse things, though.  For example, it would be worse if she was my dog.  😊  Just kidding.

Ali

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 04, 2016, 05:15:14 AM
Yep, she's dumb.  There are worse things, though.  For example, it would be worse if she was my dog.  😊
That literally made me LOL.  ;D

Velma

No every dog can be SuperDog. :)

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on July 04, 2016, 05:11:41 AM
Step 1: Call your dog. Do they come? Do they know their name? She came! So far so good! *

Still better than my cat. Or all cats, really.

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

There's something endearing about dumb dogs, I think.

Mine German Shepard is intelligent, as in she learns things quickly, but she also lacks "street smarts". There was this one time when I was walking in a rural area with her and a another dog (mongrel), who was really clever. There was a snake on the path in front of them, the mongrel saw it, leaped into the air and refused to go near it while my bumbling loony went to sniff it.  :lol:

There was another time when she was a puppy that I woke to the sound of her barking. I went outside and saw her playing with a bird-eating spider with a leg span the size of her face.  :o
I felt my heart go to my throat that time.

I guess the greatest moment was when I gave both her and the mongrel a piece of meat, she sniffed hers, looked at me and as she did the mongrel quickly swooped both pieces in her mouth and ran off. I've never seen a dog look so bewildered before. :lol:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey