News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

So a friend from the MINI club was in town and he offered to look at Charlie's air compressor and it turns out that I'm not actually missing any parts???? Like we compared my car to his since it's the same model and they were exactly the same. Now I'm back to square one but it is nice to know I might not need a whole new compressor.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Taxes... Those pesky things the government uses to force The Asmo to build bus lanes and fill them with nasty, slow public transportation vehicles.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Velma on May 28, 2016, 12:40:29 PM
For the first couple of days after surgery, I was getting...
Dilaudid through my IV four times a day,
10 MG Oxycontin twice a day,
and 5/325 MG Percocet every four hours as needed.
They have taken me off the Dilaudud, so
I am only on the Oxycontin and Percocet.
:cheers:
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Velma

It is good stuff. However, the goal is to not need it. Today, not having scheduled physical therapy, I only asked for the Percocet once - after I had done my independent exercises. I will probably need it for a bit after I get home as I start moving around more and have PT then. I have been on pain meds for a while, so it would be better if I tapered off of them, but that is true for a lot of medications.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on May 27, 2016, 09:11:57 AM
There's a Chinese place in Chinatown, London, which for years was called Lee Ho Fuk.  Then somebody must have told them, because it changed to Lee Ho Fook.

Took this pic today at a home improvement store (Leroy Merlin):

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

Quote from: Magdalena on May 28, 2016, 03:41:33 AM
OMG! I am so sorry, I confused you with  Essie Mae! :faints:
Of course we can have an apocalypse, right now! Anything you want.  :grin:
I can't have an apocalypse because? ......
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Magdalena

Quote from: Essie Mae on May 30, 2016, 01:35:26 AM

I knew you were gonna ask me.....

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Quote from: Essie Mae on May 30, 2016, 01:35:26 AM

I think just the one is for everyone to enjoy.

Icarus

XSP languages are funny sometimes.  There is a popular little sports car Here in the US.  It is a Mazda brand whose model is called Miata . It is not a stretch to imagine the Hispanic/Cuban word "miata" which means.... shit.  At least that is what my Cuban kid friends taught me long ago. Perhaps Mags or Bruno can help clear up my faulty translations.

The Portuguese must also have some cute translational quirks as is evident.  Please translate the  Portuguese/Brasillian F word for we Norte Americanos. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on May 30, 2016, 01:51:49 AM
XSP languages are funny sometimes.  There is a popular little sports car Here in the US.  It is a Mazda brand whose model is called Miata . It is not a stretch to imagine the Hispanic/Cuban word "miata" which means.... shit.  At least that is what my Cuban kid friends taught me long ago. Perhaps Mags or Bruno can help clear up my faulty translations.

The Portuguese must also have some cute translational quirks as is evident.  Please translate the  Portuguese/Brasillian F word for we Norte Americanos.

Indeed they are! :grin:

:mb lol: It reminds me of the Ford Pinto case. When that car was introduced here in Brazil it didn't really sell as well because "pinto" means, well...dick. 

As for the door, it's rather boring I'm afraid. "Fuck" is short for "Fucksa", a brand name. Why they shortened it I don't know, as few people don't know what the F word is, even around these parts. 

Guardian85

In the defense of the aforementioned only Americans call it a Miata. In the rest of the world it is known as an MX-5.

More unfortunately named might be the Mitsubishi Pajero, which if my intelligence is accurate means something rather obscene in spanish.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 30, 2016, 02:13:29 AM

Indeed they are! :grin:

:mb lol: It reminds me of the Ford Pinto case. When that car arrived here in Brazil it didn't really sell as well because "pinto" means, well...dick. 

As for the door, it's rather boring I'm afraid. "Fuck" is short for "Fucksa", a brand name. Why they shortened it I don't know, as few people don't know what the F word is, even around these parts.
:notsure: Hmmm? "Miata."
I've never heard this word before, but it does sound like "Mierda." Which also means, shit. The word, fuck, in Spanish...there are so many ways of saying this word, in so many countries, I wouldn't know which one I would use. But I think "fuck" from where I come from, means, "Puta Mierda!"

OldGit

Rolls Royce couldn't sell the Silver Mist in Germany, until they took notice of the fact that Mist is German for 'dung'.

Siz

...Or the Toyota MR2 (which I had a lifetime ago) which in french sounds like emerdeuse, meaning 'shitty'.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

Some prior research would go a long way.