News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Let us hope that Charlie will not give you cause you to use those tools.

Bonnet, boot?  I am told that the Mini is no longer a Brit car. Manufactured by the BMW outfit. If that is true then the trunk and hood is to be referred to with whatever German words describe those parts.  ;D

Pasta Chick

It can't have a trunk, it's a hatch back. Thus like my Outback, it has "under the hatch" or "in the back".

Edit: The new outback (still nameless - the old one was the 'Bus, on account of Subaru backward is U R A Bus, but that seems inappropriate for a new car) is sufficiently broken in and I want decals and shit... Except every one I find that's relevant to my interests is suuuuuper tacky...

Tom62

Quote from: Icarus on May 12, 2016, 06:38:04 PM

Bonnet, boot?  I am told that the Mini is no longer a Brit car. Manufactured by the BMW outfit. If that is true then the trunk and hood is to be referred to with whatever German words describe those parts.  ;D

Trunk = der Kofferraum (or der Laderaum)
Hood = die Motorhaube
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Firebird

Quote from: Tom62 on May 12, 2016, 07:28:11 PM
Trunk = der Kofferraum (or der Laderaum)
Hood = die Motorhaube

Never mind...just call it whatever you want ;)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Arturo

Captain America: Civil War was great. And the weather is nice. And I am da bomb.

No really, I'm holding you all hostage.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Apathy on May 12, 2016, 08:57:24 PM
Captain America: Civil War was great. And the weather is nice. And I am da bomb.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Buddy

Quote from: Icarus on May 12, 2016, 06:38:04 PM

They are made in Oxford so I think it still counts as an English car. At least that's how I'm justifying it because saying boot and bonnet in an obnoxious English accent is fun.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

If it comes from Oxford, it's just naturally superior.

jumbojak

I need more tools. And a box to keep them in. That's not even considering a hard surface with a roof for the box to roll on and not get drenched when it rains. I have a concrete pad, just no supporting structure or roof. :(

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Pasta Chick

Quote from: jumbojak on May 14, 2016, 01:39:32 AM
I need more tools. And a box to keep them in. That's not even considering a hard surface with a roof for the box to roll on and not get drenched when it rains. I have a concrete pad, just no supporting structure or roof. :(

I have 4 walls and 99% of a roof with no foundation or floor...

jumbojak

You need somebody to work on your car? With a few pallets and a little plywood we might be able to work out a trade...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-12/nicola-thorp-spurs-debate-after-sent-home-over-high-heels/7408736

QuoteThe case of a receptionist sent home from work for refusing to wear high heels has sparked a renewed push for companies to ban "sexist" and "out-dated" dress codes in the UK.

Temp worker Nicola Thorp, 27, says she was sent home from work in December last year for wearing flat shoes on her first day as a receptionist for finance company Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC).

According to a BBC report, Ms Thorp had signed the outsourcing company Portico's appearance policy, which stipulated that female employees were required to wear between 2 and 4-inch heels.

So this actually happened, our ABC says BBC says so, it must be so.
We cultured gents see fault in the female form, their natural posture simply does not please.
Now your footbinding from a young age, that was a sweet thing,  we can't demand that anymore, it's "cruel."  ::)
Yes I require my female staff to be high shoed so their asses present as I like.
Wave of political corecttitude approaches, duck and rise as it passes.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 14, 2016, 03:49:29 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-12/nicola-thorp-spurs-debate-after-sent-home-over-high-heels/7408736

QuoteThe case of a receptionist sent home from work for refusing to wear high heels has sparked a renewed push for companies to ban "sexist" and "out-dated" dress codes in the UK.

Temp worker Nicola Thorp, 27, says she was sent home from work in December last year for wearing flat shoes on her first day as a receptionist for finance company Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC).

According to a BBC report, Ms Thorp had signed the outsourcing company Portico's appearance policy, which stipulated that female employees were required to wear between 2 and 4-inch heels.

So this actually happened, our ABC says BBC says so, it must be so.
We cultured gents see fault in the female form, their natural posture simply does not please.
Now your footbinding from a young age, that was a sweet thing,  we can't demand that anymore, it's "cruel."  ::)
Yes I require my female staff to be high shoed so their asses present as I like.
Wave of political corecttitude approaches, duck and rise as it passes.
It did happen. But the company has now changed its policy and heel hight is no longer specified. For either gender.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on May 14, 2016, 04:10:36 PM
It did happen. But the company has now changed its policy and heel hight is no longer specified. For either gender.

Duck and rise as it passes.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: jumbojak on May 14, 2016, 02:11:29 AM
You need somebody to work on your car? With a few pallets and a little plywood we might be able to work out a trade...

Constantly.

The roof is complete except for some reason there's no peak. I no longer question these oddities. The previous owners were apparently just fucking weird.

Actively on my mind right now: Some JW's stopped by a couple weeks ago. Apparently my dog is complete whore for JW's, so BF ended up chatting with them a bit and left their Jesus tract on the board right inside the front door. It's taking all of my willpower to be respectful of his Catholicism and not draw a giant boner on Jesus.