Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 11, 2016, 02:26:54 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2016, 12:56:51 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 11, 2016, 11:50:00 AM
Quote from: Recusant on March 10, 2016, 05:45:38 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 10, 2016, 11:26:24 AM
Quote from: Recusant on March 10, 2016, 10:11:59 AM
The treasure is the great out-of-the-way places you will see when searching.  :)

So it's basically a great excuse to travel? I ought to try it sometime.  :P

It might be an excuse to travel for the more dedicated geocachers (for instance, I once made a point of forgoing an easier route in favor of a detour through Andorra to find a geocache there), but what I've found is that during travels, it can be a way to find special spots that aren't in any guide books. You can also add it to regular sight-seeing because it's fairly common to hide a geocache at well-known tourist sites.

Interesting. And what sort of stuff do you find in geocaches?
The geochash.

Geo-hash?
Tetrahydrocannabinol?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on March 11, 2016, 02:55:38 PM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 11, 2016, 02:26:54 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2016, 12:56:51 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 11, 2016, 11:50:00 AM
Quote from: Recusant on March 10, 2016, 05:45:38 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 10, 2016, 11:26:24 AM
Quote from: Recusant on March 10, 2016, 10:11:59 AM
The treasure is the great out-of-the-way places you will see when searching.  :)

So it's basically a great excuse to travel? I ought to try it sometime.  :P

It might be an excuse to travel for the more dedicated geocachers (for instance, I once made a point of forgoing an easier route in favor of a detour through Andorra to find a geocache there), but what I've found is that during travels, it can be a way to find special spots that aren't in any guide books. You can also add it to regular sight-seeing because it's fairly common to hide a geocache at well-known tourist sites.

Interesting. And what sort of stuff do you find in geocaches?
The geochash.

Geo-hash?
Tetrahydrocannabinol?

Terratetrahydrocannabinol.

It has a nice ring to it.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

Having really mixed feelings about Cesar Millan actually having felony cruelty charges brought against him.

For those of you who haven't seen, he decided to "cure" a two-time pig-killing dog by throwing it in a pen with a bunch of pigs, one of whom got its ear ripped off.

On one hand, he seems more ignorant than malicious. Yes, he -should- know better, but this is the problem with letting professional animal training fly completely, totally unregulated. The cruelty law being used against him is in place to stop the practice of baiting for sport, which he was not.

Unless it turns out this incident was scripted to generate drama before "curing" the dog, I don't see where there's a case here. I want Nat Geo to drop him. It's disgusting what they've released in his support - which, for those who haven't seen, is basically "no you guys its cool, later on he tied the dog to the pig and it was fine!" But arresting people under legal loopholes because we don't like them is a line I don't want to cross.

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 11, 2016, 11:50:00 AMInteresting. And what sort of stuff do you find in geocaches?

Many times there will just be a log to sign, to show you've found the thing. In fact there are some geocaches that are about half the size of a thimble, which can only hold a small rolled up log. In larger ones people will often leave small trading items, often plastic figurines, but sometimes nice ceramic or metal ones.

There are also items called trackables, usually little "travelbugs" that are meant to move from cache to cache, carried by geocachers. The owner of the travelbug and any geocachers that have seen it or picked it up can follow its journey online. Sometimes they're trying to get to a specific destination, but there are also travelbugs that are intended to just "see the world."

The main geocaching site is below, but there are others.

Geocaching 101
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Geocaching sounds like great fun with a little bit of adventure thrown in.

Buddy, your new found mini is sure to be a pleasing conveyance. My grand daughter just bought a 2014 Mini which fits her just perfectly. She is almost a Pygmy at 95 pounds and four foot eleven. She recently earned her Nursing degree. RNs make serious money so she could afford to abandon the ragged out old Ford Taurus that I bought for her while she was in school. Enjoy your neat little car.....and for damned sure don't crash it by texting while you drive.

Buddy

Quote from: Icarus on March 12, 2016, 02:23:54 AM
.....and for damned sure don't crash it by texting while you drive.

:D Don't worry Icarus, I never text and drive.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 12, 2016, 04:24:00 PM

I like to rely on voice type for that which as you can see by this post licks autocorrect and is a far more interesting way to communicate

Crow

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 12, 2016, 04:58:34 PM

I like to rely on voice type for that which as you can see by this post licks autocorrect and is a far more interesting way to communicate

I often use the voice feature on the Mac instead of typing like now and it seems to work most of the time pity there is always up to Asian

That should have said pity that isn't a way to add punctuation
Retired member.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Crow on March 12, 2016, 05:20:55 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 12, 2016, 04:58:34 PM

I often use the voice feature on the Mac instead of typing like now and it seems to work most of the time pity there is always up to Asian

That should have said pity that isn't a way to add punctuation

I don't know if it's the same for mac if it's for an iPhone, but all you have to do on an iPhone is saving name of the punctuation you wish to use. Still no AutoCorrect though.

Crow

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 12, 2016, 06:41:30 PM
I don't know if it's the same for mac if it's for an iPhone, but all you have to do on an iPhone is saving name of the punctuation you wish to use. Still no AutoCorrect though.

That works! Now I may use it properly rather than when I'm being lazy.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 11, 2016, 04:41:29 PM
But arresting people under legal loopholes because we don't like them is a line I don't want to cross.

I agree with not fishing for ways to punish people because you don't like them (which leads to all sorts of bad), but I think they do have a case here even if they're not using the right law.   Maybe there isn't the right law yet, does criminal negligence or depraved indifference apply to animals?  Maybe they're trying to use this as the case that makes the right law for these circumstances?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Essie Mae

Hi  everyone, I've missed you and all your funnies and interesting info and stories.  I'm still in Oz until 29th, looking after toddler, mum and newborn - Lana Genevieve, (think they must have been binge-watching 1950s films and I love the names).  I rise at 6 and retire exhausted at 9.30 pm. Will post pics when I get a chance. Gotta go.... x
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Magdalena

Quote from: Essie Mae on March 13, 2016, 03:50:03 AM
I'm still in Oz until 29th, looking after toddler, mum and newborn...
:frolic:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Well done, Essie May - that's what we grandparents are for!