News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 10, 2016, 12:58:49 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 09, 2016, 12:14:48 AM
Quote from: Crow on March 08, 2016, 11:58:25 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 08, 2016, 11:36:55 PM
I want to go for a joyride but there is nowhere to go.

The point of a joyride isn't to go anywhere specific. You just enjoy the ride on some good roads. Find the best road with lots of corners and camber changes, drive there, piss about on it for a bit then head back.

That's the problem. The roads in this area are all flat and straight and littered with potholes.

Have you tried geocaching?  There may be hidden treasures out in those potholes.
Recusant enjoys a bit of treasure hunting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

The treasure is the great out-of-the-way places you will see when searching.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on March 10, 2016, 10:11:59 AM
The treasure is the great out-of-the-way places you will see when searching.  :)

So it's basically a great excuse to travel? I ought to try it sometime.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 09, 2016, 12:14:48 AM
Quote from: Crow on March 08, 2016, 11:58:25 PM

The point of a joyride isn't to go anywhere specific. You just enjoy the ride on some good roads. Find the best road with lots of corners and camber changes, drive there, piss about on it for a bit then head back.

That's the problem. The roads in this area are all flat and straight and littered with potholes.

Crater-dodging can be fun.

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 10, 2016, 11:26:24 AM

It might be an excuse to travel for the more dedicated geocachers (for instance, I once made a point of forgoing an easier route in favor of a detour through Andorra to find a geocache there), but what I've found is that during travels, it can be a way to find special spots that aren't in any guide books. You can also add it to regular sight-seeing because it's fairly common to hide a geocache at well-known tourist sites.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Just get in the car and drive...pick an old two lane highway that runs south and go, even purposely try to get lost.

Stop at some small town somewhere for lunch or dinner, or for a cup of coffee/tea,... see that small barn selling antiques at the side of the road? Go ahead and stop, browse around, maybe buy an old license plate from the early 20's you can put on the front of the car.

"Remember you may be going nowhere, but what a ride."

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 10, 2016, 06:31:45 PM

"Remember you may be going nowhere, but what a ride."

That sounds like my life.  ::)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Hooray, Mags is back.

I missed you, girl.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on March 11, 2016, 02:35:55 AM
Hooray, Mags is back.

I missed you, girl.

And I missed you, my dear young lad.  :hug:
I missed everyone, I didn't want to be banned, but it was necessary. Being away from people I like wasn't easy.

...But it wasn't that bad, while I was in "solitary confinement" I had three visitors.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Aha, Mags, you're back at last.  Hooray!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on March 10, 2016, 05:45:38 PM

It might be an excuse to travel for the more dedicated geocachers (for instance, I once made a point of forgoing an easier route in favor of a detour through Andorra to find a geocache there), but what I've found is that during travels, it can be a way to find special spots that aren't in any guide books. You can also add it to regular sight-seeing because it's fairly common to hide a geocache at well-known tourist sites.

Interesting. And what sort of stuff do you find in geocaches?

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 11, 2016, 11:50:00 AM

The geochash.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2016, 12:56:51 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 11, 2016, 11:50:00 AM

The geochash.

Geo-hash?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

jumbojak

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 10, 2016, 06:31:45 PM

Just get in the car and drive...pick an old two lane highway that runs south and go, even purposely try to get lost.

You aren't lost until you run out of gas.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz