News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

^^ Well that's some good news at least.  Poor knees, they have so much work to do!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Bruno
Hello Gluten Girl. 8)

I don't believe you've called me this before. I'll take it to mean I am delicious but irritating to the intestines.

Icarus

You complaining whippersnappers are a pain in the ass.  Many old guys and girls plan ahead quite competently, myself among them. I do go out and about to conduct business, go to the grocery store, the library, liquor store, or the whore house. . I find that enduring the rush hour traffic and crowds at those places is another pain in the ass. The solution is simple enough: Pick the hours of least congestion and thereby avoid the rampant rudeness and recklessness of the younger crowd who are so impatient and hurried. I practice that concept in all but emergency situations. Many of my aged peers do that as well.

That ain't all. Consider someone like our Velma. She goes to work and does not have the luxury of shopping at slow times. I dare say that fellow HAFers would accord her some courtesy and if she, with her wheelchair or walker, is slower at the check out counter than you are, you will still exercise some  forbearance and courtesy.  Please tell me that you would.

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 06, 2016, 08:23:49 PM
^^ Well that's some good news at least.  Poor knees, they have so much work to do!
Yes they do.

The news was mixed. No more wheelchair at work - from now on I will be using the rollalator. I can bear as much weight as I can tolerate on my injured knee. The knee is healing, but very slowly. Bad news was that there are still bone fragments in the back of my knee. Plus, this injury means that I will have to have knee replacement surgery much sooner than I would have otherwise. Doctor said that five years from now was a very likely scenario.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Essie Mae

It's great that you refuse to give in to your condition - you deserve to get better. I wish you well for 2016 Velma.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Firebird

Had no idea those were called rollators until now. We tried for years to get my grandmother to use one and she refused, even though she badly needed it.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Crow

Can't believe that I'm still not fully recovered from NYE.
Retired member.

Recusant

It was inevitable. You've been eating healthier so your system has lost most of its acclimatization to toxins.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Crow

Quote from: Recusant on January 08, 2016, 05:16:26 PM
It was inevitable. You've been eating healthier so your system has lost most of its acclimatization to toxins.  ;)

Plus I ended up drinking more than I have done for a very long time, without eating. I thought I drank a lot a few weeks ago and I was in a bad shape from that, NYE made that look normal which it wasn't.

Edit: Just noticed you used the word toxins, need a shakes head disapprovingly emoji.
Retired member.

Velma

Quote from: Essie Mae on January 07, 2016, 12:19:56 PM
It's great that you refuse to give in to your condition - you deserve to get better. I wish you well for 2016 Velma.
Thank you. It has never made sense to me to give up. Stop for a moment to catch my breath, sure, but, give up - not without a fight.

Quote from: Firebird on January 08, 2016, 05:11:19 AM
Had no idea those were called rollators until now. We tried for years to get my grandmother to use one and she refused, even though she badly needed it.
It is a strange word. It doesn't really roll of the tongue. The rollatator is a great thing. More stable than crutches, or even a cane. Plus, you have a place to sit if you need it. Right now, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on January 08, 2016, 05:50:28 PM
It is a strange word. It doesn't really roll of the tongue. The rollatator is a great thing. More stable than crutches, or even a cane. Plus, you have a place to sit if you need it. Right now, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I just call mine a roller -- you're right, the "ator" doesn't trip off the tongue.  I had to get over a lot of embarrassment about using it, I felt that people were judging me (correctly) for taking up too much space or needing such a thing before I was 90.  I got over it tho, because (a) I realized most of those judgments were my own and (b) it was better to be able to sit down when I needed to than fall down.  And it's certainly much better to be able to get out and walk around than sit at home because I know my legs aren't up to this or that errand.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Claireliontamer

I've been back in hospital since Wednesday, this time neurological problems,  abnormal ct and lumbar puncture. To say I'm shit scared is an underestimate.

Recusant

Damn. I hope they release you soon with positive news, Claire. :hug2:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Guardian85

Quote from: Claireliontamer on January 08, 2016, 09:48:36 PM
I've been back in hospital since Wednesday, this time neurological problems,  abnormal ct and lumbar puncture. To say I'm shit scared is an underestimate.
Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Quote from: Claireliontamer on January 08, 2016, 09:48:36 PM

Oh my gosh Claire. Hope everything turns out okay.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.