News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

Quote from: jumbojak on December 28, 2015, 03:51:04 AM
Good thoughts Crow. I could see it being an irritant getting asked constantly when you were going to get a boyfriend/girlfriend though. Honestly, I thought about telling my mom I was gay at one point so she'd stop bugging me about the situation. It's not that I was never with someone, just that before Claire it was never a girl I felt comfortable bringing to meet the folks. Lots of crazy women before her. Hell, more than half of them never found out where I LIVED, and at least one never got my real phone number. Google voice really saved my ass on that one...

And she hated me to begin with!

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Crow on December 28, 2015, 12:21:57 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 28, 2015, 08:58:02 AM
How did giving up animal products go?

Really easy. I got to the point where I had been studying the subject for a few years, had the chance to speak to some respected scientists who really opened my eyes and I could find no convincing argument in favour besides it tastes nice. My go to meals are "bowls", I use two different bases usually one that is a mix of protein and carbohydrates such as brown rice mixed with quinoa or amaranth mixed with farro, then a dark green leafy base such as spinach, kale or beetroot leaves. Then from there I add a a selection of vegetables sometimes raw or sometimes prepared in different ways depending on the flavours I want. Then I usually add in a selection of things such as beans, avocado, roasted chickpeas, falafel, potatoes, tofu or other things. Then finish it off with a dressing, I personally like to use a fresh squeezed citrus juice mixed with oils and spices, then throw in some seeds and nuts and mix together. More complicated to the food I used to eat but you can create any flavour profile you want, very easy to put together, super nutritional and very tasty.

The first week I was bloated and farting/crapping a lot and it was disgusting, I hadn't just removed meat I had added a lot of fibre to my diet but that subsided after a week and feel great since. The only thing I still eat animal wise is a B12 supplement that is derived from them as that is the only reliable source. I'm also not staunch about it when eating out as there are still very few places that cater to it and vegi options are always full of dairy in ways you would never expect, though I have quickly found those that give a proper animal free option and maintain creativity are often the far superior restaurants. Wine is another time I don't care about animal products as I am drinking something unhealthy anyway so there is no point is being overly zealous about what ingredient it might have in it and really the only unhealthy thing I currently consume. My consumption of food has shot up and even though I have never had a philosophical dislike to animal food products I do not find them tempting in the slightest, I have no sweet tooth any more either which I found surprising, I had a skittle the other days and it was so sweet I was almost sick. Cheese, milk and eggs I now find to be revolting and cheese was one of my favourite food prior. Skin and hair got so much better and I have to cut my nails three times a week rather than once a week as they grow very fast now. Food shopping has become incredibly cheap I use to spend about £40-£50 a week now it is on average about £10 and on weeks where I need to restock some basics about £20. That is all I have noticed so far.

But.....steak, cheese, bacon, ice cream, YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS!!!!!!!!!

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on December 28, 2015, 02:59:19 PM

Don't do anything for me, cheese did but doesn't any more. Similarly to how I use to think about cigarettes to how I know think about them.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on December 28, 2015, 12:21:57 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 28, 2015, 08:58:02 AM
How did giving up animal products go?

Really easy. I got to the point where I had been studying the subject for a few years, had the chance to speak to some respected scientists who really opened my eyes and I could find no convincing argument in favour besides it tastes nice. My go to meals are "bowls", I use two different bases usually one that is a mix of protein and carbohydrates such as brown rice mixed with quinoa or amaranth mixed with farro, then a dark green leafy base such as spinach, kale or beetroot leaves. Then from there I add a a selection of vegetables sometimes raw or sometimes prepared in different ways depending on the flavours I want. Then I usually add in a selection of things such as beans, avocado, roasted chickpeas, falafel, potatoes, tofu or other things. Then finish it off with a dressing, I personally like to use a fresh squeezed citrus juice mixed with oils and spices, then throw in some seeds and nuts and mix together. More complicated to the food I used to eat but you can create any flavour profile you want, very easy to put together, super nutritional and very tasty.

The first week I was bloated and farting/crapping a lot and it was disgusting, I hadn't just removed meat I had added a lot of fibre to my diet but that subsided after a week and feel great since. The only thing I still eat animal wise is a B12 supplement that is derived from them as that is the only reliable source. I'm also not staunch about it when eating out as there are still very few places that cater to it and vegi options are always full of dairy in ways you would never expect, though I have quickly found those that give a proper animal free option and maintain creativity are often the far superior restaurants. Wine is another time I don't care about animal products as I am drinking something unhealthy anyway so there is no point is being overly zealous about what ingredient it might have in it and really the only unhealthy thing I currently consume. My consumption of food has shot up and even though I have never had a philosophical dislike to animal food products I do not find them tempting in the slightest, I have no sweet tooth any more either which I found surprising, I had a skittle the other days and it was so sweet I was almost sick. Cheese, milk and eggs I now find to be revolting and cheese was one of my favourite food prior. Skin and hair got so much better and I have to cut my nails three times a week rather than once a week as they grow very fast now. Food shopping has become incredibly cheap I use to spend about £40-£50 a week now it is on average about £10 and on weeks where I need to restock some basics about £20. That is all I have noticed so far.
Thanks. Interesting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Claireliontamer on December 28, 2015, 02:56:03 PM
Good thoughts Crow. I could see it being an irritant getting asked constantly when you were going to get a boyfriend/girlfriend though. Honestly, I thought about telling my mom I was gay at one point so she'd stop bugging me about the situation. It's not that I was never with someone, just that before Claire it was never a girl I felt comfortable bringing to meet the folks. Lots of crazy women before her. Hell, more than half of them never found out where I LIVED, and at least one never got my real phone number. Google voice really saved my ass on that one...

No she didn't.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on December 28, 2015, 05:34:49 PM

No she didn't.

Stand clear! It's a domestic!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

To the two or three of you.......Spilling your guts is not always advisable or advantageous in any of its forms..  It is not like you are having an earth changing secret. Just leave it alone and proceed to a healthy and happy relationship. 

Buddy: if in fact you are an emerging young lesbian, don't sweat it. You need not divulge your inner feelings or motivations to your parents or anyone else until it is to your, or their,  advantage to do so.  Most of all you never need to apologize for whatever floats your boat.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on December 28, 2015, 06:00:53 PM

No she didn't.

Tank, Claireliontamer, speaking of 'domestic,' is it really like this?  ;D
Domestic Abuse-British Style

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Buddy

Of course not, they use Doctor Who. Trust me, I'm an expert on England now.  ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Tank on December 28, 2015, 06:00:53 PM

No she didn't.

Nah, he knows his place ;D

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Crow on December 28, 2015, 03:42:59 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on December 28, 2015, 02:59:19 PM

Don't do anything for me, cheese did but doesn't any more. Similarly to how I use to think about cigarettes to how I know think about them.

I'm impressed you've managed so easily.  I did try a while back, more out of curiosity and self challenge than anything.  I failed miserably as I got very bored of what I was eating, I hated the sight of chickpeas and pulses in the end and tofu is one of the very few products I think is vile no matter how it's cooked.

It did make me realise that I really really like food, not in a binging on McDonald's in secret kind of way but in a trying new things and having as varied a diet as possible way.  I get pleasure from trying new foods and new recipes so personally found cutting out all animal products too restrictive.

Crow

Lucid dreaming. Give it a go people it is a lot of fun. you have probably all experienced it a few times in the past when you are  fully aware of the dream and can manipulate and experience everything due to setting an alarm during REM sleep then hitting snooze without properly waking up. I personally use meditation but I have been doing that for a while now so switching the focus over to lucid dreaming before sleep has been easy, there are other methods you can use if you aren't well versed in meditation and are a quick google away but will require a bit of work. Before I realised what it was I have had semi lucid dreams at least once a week for as long as I can remember but the next level stuff is much better, takes a bit of practice but worth it.
Retired member.

Guardian85

Happy Newyear, heathens!

So the celebrations went well enough. Lots of fun, good neighbours, cognac and fireworks.

Damn near blew my head off sorting out a dud, but other than that things were pretty good.  8)
Just missed some people there...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

Guardian85, you look good!   :smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Guardian85

Quote from: Magdalena on January 01, 2016, 01:15:32 AM
Guardian85, you look good!   :smilenod:
Damn straight!  8)

I think it's the trillby that makes it.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-