News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: MariaEvri on November 10, 2015, 06:49:18 PM
even though we're told it's a cyprus-israel exercise, having fighters fly low over the city even at night can make one nervous

I grew up living under the landing path of a large military airfield. You get used to it very quickly.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Crow

I was reading an article about a school in California changin the school menu to a plant-based diet and there was this:

QuoteThe private school, founded in 2006 by actress and environmental campaigner Suzy Amis Cameron and her sister, Rebecca Amis, also faced accusations from some US critics of looking after the health of its tiny group of privileged children while the mass of poorer students endured inadequate diets in the public school system.

Are those critics retarded? Blaming a school that is serving real and very healthy food that will be ensuring the children eat a balanced diet for the inadequacies of other schools. What makes it even worse is that fruit, veg, and whole foods are much cheaper especially in bulk than meat.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on November 12, 2015, 09:53:03 AM
I was reading an article about a school in California changin the school menu to a plant-based diet and there was this:

QuoteThe private school, founded in 2006 by actress and environmental campaigner Suzy Amis Cameron and her sister, Rebecca Amis, also faced accusations from some US critics of looking after the health of its tiny group of privileged children while the mass of poorer students endured inadequate diets in the public school system.

Are those critics retarded? Blaming a school that is serving real and very healthy food that will be ensuring the children eat a balanced diet for the inadequacies of other schools. What makes it even worse is that fruit, veg, and whole foods are much cheaper especially in bulk than meat.

No good deed or intent  goes unpunished.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

There are always people who want to drag everyone down to the lowest level, instead of raising everyone else up.  If you go into some of our state schools at lesson changeover time, there's pushing and shouting and effing and blinding at it's quite intimidating. It can't be condusive to learning when the lesson starts. I've also been in a private school during lesson changeover, and there is just a calm, civilised hum of quiet conversation, which is much less distracting. There's no reason that that sort of behaviour can't be imposed on the state school kids, indeed, it would be a kindness to them. The current situation is just neglectful and uncaring.

Well it's been a mixed week. My husband was really pissed that the day after we booked our flights to Oz to be with the family when the the next grandchild is born, the flights came down by £500 each. He then went to tighten a screw on the shower screen and the screen fell off and hit the bath, punching a big hole in it. It's a big job because the loo will have to be moved to to get the bath out, tiles will have to be replaced etc etc. but it's only our second claim in 43 years. I won a magnificent flower arrangment though, so that's alright.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Essie Mae on November 13, 2015, 10:53:17 AM
If you go into some of our state schools at lesson changeover time, there's pushing and shouting and effing and blinding at it's quite intimidating.

If I'm anywhere near them they don't!

You're dead right in saying it is being cruel to be kind imposing some discipline on them though, if it's done in the right way.

OMM:  I want this next week to be over so I can sit in a bar somewhere in Leeds and drink!  We have inspectors in at school this week, I am one of the teachers who will have to speak to them and be interviewed about certain things.  One of which is how I have felt supported as a new member of staff.  The truth is I haven't been supportive at all, far from it.  So I now have a dilemma on my hand, do I play the game and say what the school want me to hear or am I honest and hope it might impose change. 

Guardian85

So I just did something I never thought I'd do. I applied for a job at a religious organization.  :o

The Norwegian Church Aid organization announced their need for security consultants for their work abroad.
Considering they do work in the refugee camps around places like Iraq, Syria and the Kongo the need for such personnel should be apparent.

Ok, let me shoot the elephant in the room real quick. I wouldn't even have considered working for an overt mission organization, but the NCA is , despite it's religious name, run much like a secular charity organization, so I'm down with it. And the work looks to be real interesting and would be a real career boost if I can get it.

Quote from: Claireliontamer on November 13, 2015, 06:34:34 PM
OMM:  I want this next week to be over so I can sit in a bar somewhere in Leeds and drink! 
First round's on me.  ;)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Got blood drawn. I didn't pass out this time at least.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Icarus

An hour ago I drove down to the convenience store. Next door is a coin laundry. Two neatly dressed young fellows were sitting on a bench outside the laundry, Bicycles close at hand. I knew that they were LDS youngsters on their required "mission".  I couldn't help myself, I went over to chat with them.

They were pleasant fellows but a little bit nervous, probably because I had voluntarily approached them, an event in which they were unaccustomed.  Within a short time they began their pitch. I told them that I was an atheist but that did not deter them. I treated them respectfully and even managed to restrict my vocabulary to only one "Bullshit".  They gave me a brand new copy of The Book of Morman. I read the first several pages that explained the origin of their faith. I did not know that the angel who revealed himself and  instructed Joseph Smith was an Italian. His name was Moroni. Thatsa gooda talian name.

I am in the process of reading the book but lo it is a painful process. The absurdity and the contrived tales of Laminites, Nephites, and others exceed those of the KJV by a good margin.

I do not regard myself as a highly persuasive secular type. I may not argue as forcefully as my betters.

I did so want to invite the young fellows to come to my house, led to my library, and ask to them if they have ever been exposed to Sagan, Krauss, Avalos, Ehrman, Kolb, Feynman, Shermer, Descartes, Galileo, Brahe, and the rest. In an hour or two, I could show them some serious flaws in their mission, I believe. Alas it was not to be. Maybe it would have been an act of cruelty to instil any doubt about their assigned task.  I had some evil thoughts too, Like exposing then to a bevy of Lolitas. Magic underwear be damned. At 19 years old they are almost surely testosterone positive. What would be their response? I'll never know.   Yeah, I have evil thoughts, I confess. I could excuse myself by claiming that the Lolitas and the mission lads were merely the subjects of meaningful research.

There! That's what is on my mind today.  It is almost five O'clock so I can soon take some comfort in my magic potion which is Kentucky Bourbon on the rocks.  Those rocks are not to be confused with the ones that Joseph Smith had to use to interpret the writings on the golden plates of Nephi.

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 13, 2015, 06:39:59 PM

Quote from: Claireliontamer on November 13, 2015, 06:34:34 PM
OMM:  I want this next week to be over so I can sit in a bar somewhere in Leeds and drink! 
First round's on me.  ;)
Not if I beat you to the bar it isn't!  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on November 13, 2015, 11:02:15 PM
An hour ago I drove down to the convenience store. Next door is a coin laundry. Two neatly dressed young fellows were sitting on a bench outside the laundry, Bicycles close at hand. I knew that they were LDS youngsters on their required "mission".  I couldn't help myself, I went over to chat with them.

They were pleasant fellows but a little bit nervous, probably because I had voluntarily approached them, an event in which they were unaccustomed.  Within a short time they began their pitch. I told them that I was an atheist but that did not deter them. I treated them respectfully and even managed to restrict my vocabulary to only one "Bullshit".  They gave me a brand new copy of The Book of Morman. I read the first several pages that explained the origin of their faith. I did not know that the angel who revealed himself and  instructed Joseph Smith was an Italian. His name was Moroni. Thatsa gooda talian name.

I am in the process of reading the book but lo it is a painful process. The absurdity and the contrived tales of Laminites, Nephites, and others exceed those of the KJV by a good margin.

I do not regard myself as a highly persuasive secular type. I may not argue as forcefully as my betters.

I did so want to invite the young fellows to come to my house, led to my library, and ask to them if they have ever been exposed to Sagan, Krauss, Avalos, Ehrman, Kolb, Feynman, Shermer, Descartes, Galileo, Brahe, and the rest. In an hour or two, I could show them some serious flaws in their mission, I believe. Alas it was not to be. Maybe it would have been an act of cruelty to instil any doubt about their assigned task.  I had some evil thoughts too, Like exposing then to a bevy of Lolitas. Magic underwear be damned. At 19 years old they are almost surely testosterone positive. What would be their response? I'll never know.   Yeah, I have evil thoughts, I confess. I could excuse myself by claiming that the Lolitas and the mission lads were merely the subjects of meaningful research.

There! That's what is on my mind today.  It is almost five O'clock so I can soon take some comfort in my magic potion which is Kentucky Bourbon on the rocks.  Those rocks are not to be confused with the ones that Joseph Smith had to use to interpret the writings on the golden plates of Nephi.
Moron-i! Seriously? Their angle was a moron!!!!  :picard facepalm:

OldGit

Yup.  You have to be pretty damn credulous to believe much of the bible, but with the book of Mormon you need to be clinically insane, and probably drunk as well.  And the story of how they got written down would make the plot of an excellent TV comedy series. ;D

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Crow

Quote from: MariaEvri on November 14, 2015, 12:01:02 PM
Quotewould make the plot of an excellent TV comedy series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_Mormons

Very good episode.

There is also this which is excellent but not a comedy series and deals with the less well known side of the LDS from the creators of the Sopranos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Love
Retired member.

Velma

Quote from: OldGit on November 14, 2015, 10:41:51 AM
Yup.  You have to be pretty damn credulous to believe much of the bible, but with the book of Mormon you need to be clinically insane, and probably drunk as well.  And the story of how they got written down would make the plot of an excellent TV comedy series. ;D
That's why most religions make such a big deal out of teaching their religion to children. It is much more difficult to recruit adults. Although, there is window of opportunity with adults who are going through a stressful time in their lives.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan