News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Well, the blower for my forge burned up on Friday which means that I won't be able to do any work with actual steel. In a way that's a good thing though, as I've been practicing with modeling clay and can bang out a tong blank in just a few minutes. Drawing out reigns (basically handles) is tricky with clay, but I think I have it just about figured out at this point.

So once I have a better blower - looking into getting a squirrel cage if I can find an old HVAC system to scrounge off of - I'll be fairly well set to start making a pair of tongs a day for the next month or so. Once I have that down I'll be working towards making a rounding hammer and a better cutoff tool and then I can start making some more general use tools like punches and chisels.

Actually, that hammer might have to wait. I really want one but I'm probably getting ahead of myself. By the way, anybody interested in coat hooks or pot hangers?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on October 18, 2015, 10:17:52 PM
Rancid yogurt might work. A rather standard device for public speakers with stage fright is to imagine the people you are addressing are wearing no clothes. The mental image of some fat guy, with his belly fat  flopping around, is easy to dismiss as a judgmental sort. For a more severe mental image, imagine that the audience members all have diarrhea caused by a bad batch of sushi.

Keep your confidence and do believe that you are as competent as any of them and more competent than some of them.  In some cases a modicum of arrogance is useful.

Thanks for the tips, Icarus :D

My presentation went fine, I was able to say everything I wanted to say without major problems. I just spoke a little too fast but the audience and judges understood me fine.  ;D I was told by one person that he had never understood the subject matter before I explained it in my PowerPoint  slides, which made me feel even happier.  ;D

I feel great, I love these post-presentation highs!  ;D ;D ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 19, 2015, 10:55:44 PM
My presentation went fine, I was able to say everything I wanted to say without major problems. I just spoke a little too fast but the audience and judges understood me fine.  ;D I was told by one person that he had never understood the subject matter before I explained it in my PowerPoint  slides, which made me feel even happier.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Essie Mae

Congratuations Silver Phinx. I'm guessing you were nervous because you care so much.  :)
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Magdalena

Is anybody else gonna get a Halloween costume this year?
Bruno de la Pole is wearing his already, so I went and got mine.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on October 20, 2015, 05:34:35 AM
YOU CALLED?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 19, 2015, 10:55:44 PM

Excellent!  Did you have to picture anybody naked?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pasta Chick

I got my dog an Elsa costume from Frozen because it was $6 and the neighborhood kids adore her - they bike next to use sometimes when I run her down the street. But the XL is still too small!! Wtf - she only weighs like 42 lb at the very most!

Essie Mae

I know we're nearly all unbelievers here, but maybe we should have someone to confess to when we act fall from grace. Asmo ould fit the bill,but he can be rather intimidating. When I was staying with my baby granddaughter recently, she often gave me books to read with her, and a favourite was a children's version of Noah's Ark. (She's only 17 months, but enjoys picture books). Another was a truly dreadful book of Christian versions of nursery rhymes which she liked to listen to because of the rhyming sounds. I succeeded in avoiding them mostly, but sometimes my daughter-in-law would suggest I read them. I was her 30 years ago and would have been incandescent if anyone had undermined Christianity to my kids, so there it is, mea culpa, I confess.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Guardian85

I'm in.  8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Icarus

You are surely a very nice lady Essie Mae. Good on you for reading to the little one, even if it was of a Christian bent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(goddamned spelling corrector refuses to let me spell Christian with a lower case C.  My freakin' computer is narrow minded and bigoted. That must be a republican ploy to make me a believer.  Aha!  I notice that the speller thingy let me use a forbidden profanity without upper case. )

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on October 21, 2015, 12:49:40 AM
(goddamned spelling corrector refuses to let me spell Christian with a lower case C.  My freakin' computer is narrow minded and bigoted. That must be a republican ploy to make me a believer.  Aha!  I notice that the speller thingy let me use a forbidden profanity without upper case. )
I tend to notice those little things when I've had mucho vino.  ;)

Siz

Quote from: Icarus on October 21, 2015, 12:49:40 AM
goddamned spelling corrector refuses to let me spell Christian with a lower case C.
Why would it? It's still a proper noun. You americans and your funny double standards...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 20, 2015, 05:28:48 AM
Congratuations Silver Phinx. I'm guessing you were nervous because you care so much.  :)

Yes. Also because I take care not to make a total fool out of myself when all eyes are on me, I do that often enough when no one's paying attention.   ;)

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 20, 2015, 09:26:03 AM
Excellent!  Did you have to picture anybody naked?

LOL no, there was no need for that. To be honest I totally forgot that tactic!  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

My uni puts on a Halloween party every year  and my family and I are going to see Crimson Peak on Halloween night so I thought I would bust out the liquid latex and scar wax and go as something gory.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.