News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Pondering God's Plan

Started by Asherah, March 15, 2012, 08:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asherah

Sometimes, I try to imagine God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in the eternal chambers of the Godhead talking about how the whole plan of man's redemption will pan out.

God: Wow, I'm really lonely here.

Jesus & Holy Spirit: Yea, me too. Hey, I have an idea! Let's create intelligent beings (definitely less intelligent that us, though), so that we can have a relationship with them! And, they can worship us for all of eternity!

God: Yea, and we'll give them free will so that they can choose to love us.

Jesus: But, what if they don't choose to love us?

God: Well, we could just threaten them with eternal torment if they don't.

Jesus & Holy Spirit: That makes sense. Let's do it!

God: Hey, I have another idea! Let's make it to where I can't forgive sin unless there is an animal sacrifice. That sounds cool.

Jesus & HS: Yea, the people won't have a clue what that's all about. But, they'll do it because we'll promise them curses if they don't.

Jesus: Ooo, I have another brilliant idea. Let's give messages through different prophets about the coming of a Messiah! Let's use the Isrealites as the vessels of our message and send the Messiah through this people. We will give very specific parameters involving what this King will be like and what he will do. Then, let's do an old switcheroo and I'll go down and die for everyone's sins!! It will be the coolest surprise ever! The Isrealites won't know what hit them. They won't be able to believe it! But, if they don't believe it, they'll go to Hell! This will be great!

Jesus: I'm not really sure how I'm going to go down there without you, God, and you, Holy Spirit. I mean, we are the same God, but somehow we are going to split ourselves up. I don't get it and nobody else will either. But, let's do it!
As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect. - Dawkins

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Stevil

I like these types of posts. It is good to try and vizualise.

It was interesting seeing the Lord of the Rings Extra stuff.
PJ discussed why certain things on the page don't work when you include visual. It may sound reasonable in your head, but when you visualise it, it just doesn't work.

Firebird

Can someone explain just what the holy spirit is in Christianity? I've never heard a good explanation for what it is and how it differs from god.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dobermonster

The Trinity is an inherently incomprehensible concept - that's what makes it appealing, because it transcends human understanding the way Christians consider God to be transcendent. It's a mental exercise in trying to comprehend the 'three-in-one'. When I was a tyke, I got a kids book that was supposed to explain the Trinity through the analogy of an apple. You have the peel, the flesh, and the seeds - three separate parts, but all making up the one apple. Yeah, I still don't get it . . . but I do have the munchies.  

ETA: The 'holy spirit' as used in the Bible is translated from a Hebrew word used to describe the divine essence apparent in the world - purity, holiness, an essential part of every human soul (if you want to really know the mind of God).

Asherah

Hmmm.....that's a good question. The Holy Spirit is the "comforter" as Jesus called him/she/it. It's the spirit of God that came to dwell in the hearts of believers on the day of pentecost, which supposedly took place I think a month or so after Christ died. The Holy Spirit is the guide for a Christian. Whenever a person asks Jesus into their heart, some say that the Holy Spirit comes inside them at that point. Others say that you  have to specifically ask for the indwelling of the spirit and that it can happen many many times. When God speaks to a Christian it is really the Holy Spirit who relays the message. Christians will say stuff like, "The Holy Spirit told me" or "I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to...". That explanation probably doesn't make much sense. But, that's what I came away with after being a Christian for 15 years.
As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect. - Dawkins

Asherah

Also, forgot to say that Christians believe that those who don't understand the Bible don't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The HS reveals all truth and without it, you can't comprehend the things of God. Anything good in you comes from the HS. If you feel compassion towards a sick child, that isn't you, it's the HS. Or, if you feel overwhelmed by the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross and you are overcome with thankfulness, that's not you, it's the HS. We, as humans, are incapable of good. Only by the HS can we do good. Pretty crazy stuff, huh?

Firebird

Thanks. Still a bit confused by the whole thing, but glad to hear I have good reason to be :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Firebird on March 16, 2012, 03:03:21 AM
Can someone explain just what the holy spirit is in Christianity? I've never heard a good explanation for what it is and how it differs from god.

The Holy Spirit is God.  Experientially, the HS is the presence of God in the life of the believer.  The experience of his presence is wonderful.  The divine presence (the Holy Spirit) is what Christianity is all about.

Gawen

The Trinity is the adult equivalent of, if for example, a child's belief that the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Santa are all the same being. 3 beings existing as one cannot be reconciled using the Bible. To get from Son of Man to Son of God to God Himself is nothing other than wishful thinking on the Writers and the current believers.

It basically comes down to cherry picking NT verses and claiming "Jesus claimed to be God and it says so in the Bible". It's a way to get around OT verses like Exod. 20:1-4; Deut. 5:6-9, which claim it is forbidden to worship anything other than God. It is also a way to get around polytheism to monotheism, which Trinitarianism has failed to do.

ETA:

You simply cannot have something with individual properties that allow it to be labelled "Jesus" and not "Holy Spirit", and in the same breath claim they are synonymous. This is called the fallacy of equivocation. Christianity is built on this house of cards.

Five Christian definitions of Trinity:

1. God - a divine single nature/essence of three persons
2. God - a person who is the Father of Jesus
3. God - another person who is the Father's son
4. God - another person who is the Holy Spirit
5. God - another identity who is the Triune Being

Simple, huh?

One can see how easy it is for Christians to commit the fallacy of equivocation and indeed, they must do so to make an argument which might "sound" coherent. But in the end their conclusion results in absurdity because they have devised different definitions of the word "God" in their argument and have thereby compared two or more different concepts just like the examples above to create an amalgamation.

And one could also read about the bloody history of how Trinitarianism came to be.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Asherah

Gawen, that was the best explanation I have ever heard. It's so easy to see the fallacy when laid out that way. I wanted to add that if you ask a Christian how the Holy Spirit, Jesus, and God can be one being yet separate beings they will say that it's a "mystery" and our humans minds are too small to understand. So sad how little Christians think of the human mind.   :'(

fester30

The trinity thing where you have multiple gods in one came from an Egyptian idea.  Ra was one god with many personalities.  There was Isis, Osiris, Horus, etc.  These were all separate personalities, but were all part of the essence of Ra.  Christians sort of stole that idea.  Many of you already know of Ra impregnating the virgin Isis, and the result being Horus, the son of Ra.

The apple is good, hadn't heard that one.  The Jesus guy on Religulous described it like water.  It can be liquid, solid (ice), or gas (water vapor), but those are all three phases of the same thing, water.  So that's god with the trinity.

When Christians try to win me with Pascal's wager, I mention god's plan.  If god has this plan, then he has complete control over where people are born and whether they ever hear about Jesus.  Therefore, when someone is born in Pakistan and never has that opportunity to hear about Jesus, and never have the chance to accept or reject Jesus' sacrifice, through no fault of their own, they go to Hell.  That's God's fault, since he has complete control over that.  Therefore it was God's plan to send that person to Hell and not even give them a chance.  I say because of that, even if there is a Hell, and even if Hell is the worst kind of torture beyond imagination, I'd rather go to Hell than follow that kind of God.  I'd rather burn in Hell out of principle.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Dobermonster on March 16, 2012, 03:18:02 AM
The Trinity is an inherently incomprehensible concept - that's what makes it appealing, because it transcends human understanding the way Christians consider God to be transcendent. It's a mental exercise in trying to comprehend the 'three-in-one'. When I was a tyke, I got a kids book that was supposed to explain the Trinity through the analogy of an apple. You have the peel, the flesh, and the seeds - three separate parts, but all making up the one apple. Yeah, I still don't get it . . . but I do have the munchies.  

ETA: The 'holy spirit' as used in the Bible is translated from a Hebrew word used to describe the divine essence apparent in the world - purity, holiness, an essential part of every human soul (if you want to really know the mind of God).

I could never wrap my head around it when I was Catholic. I saw the obvious distinction between Jesus and the other two, seeing how he had a physical body, but it always seemed God and the Spirit were one and the same. Neither would seem to have physical form... The idea has always baffled me.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Hector Valdez

Hmmm...that's not god, but a populist conception of god/straw man that is easily targeted by intelligent yet literal minded individuals and easily believed by simpletons who need something more concrete because they can not concieve how notions of universal love and abstract philosophy.

It makes for great laughs though.

*note* It is easy to say that what I am saying is a logical fallacy(no true scotsman), but consider that it is also a logical fallacy to insist that something is what another person believes when they tell you that it is not. Arming yourself with the no true scotsman fallacy seems to be just a stronger form of straw-man. Similiar to destroying the angry, idiotic god of the bible, and then ignoring any other forms of god that might be proposed. (The book of Elijah, for example) A good example of this is the usual disproof of an "omni-three" god that is often dismantled. A conception of god that is defined by, say, "ultimate love", however, is often decried as not the "real" christian belief, ignoring the fact that ultimate love is a very real part of christian theology, and also ignoring the diversity of religion in favor of an oversimplistic antagonizing view of it.

DeterminedJuliet

Who, exactly, are the "simpletons" in your estimation?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.