News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Some quotes from Jesus about everlasting life

Started by CalmReflect, March 14, 2012, 04:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on March 15, 2012, 01:23:39 AM
But when they start saying that I am going to hell. That is completely over the top. They are saying that they want me to be tortured, that they want me to be annihilated and that the god they praise will be their hero and will do this stuff to me simply because I don't believe in it. In a way they are threatening me, in a way they are painting me and all atheists out to be scum worthy of annihilation. The arrogance of some Christians I find intolerable.

I think DJ, an ex-Christian, answers this, gives perspective for you, Stevil.  It may not seem nice from your perspective and you may be right about some Christians that do this, however as DJ points out, the majority want something better for *you.  Forgive our ignorance in relaying the information.

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 15, 2012, 01:57:29 AM
Now, yes, I think the Christian who chooses to tell me they're going to "pray for me" (in a non-patronizing tone) is probably nicer than the Christian who chooses to tell me that I'm going to hell. But on a fundamental, theological, level all Christians probably believe in the validity of those two things and I expect it to peek out every now and again. I used to be a Christian who genuinely believed and worried that people I loved were going to hell; I honestly didn't want it to happen and didn't wish it on any of them, but I believed it. I felt like I had to and it was a kind of on-going mental torture.

So that might be why I cut Christians a bit of slack on this, as well. I honestly feel kind of bad for them. It sucks to really like someone, feel like something horrible has to happened to them, and to not be able to do anything about it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Hasn't AD made it pretty clear that he, as somewhat of a Seventh Day Adventist, doesn't believe in a literal, eternal, burning-place-of-torment hell?

Amicale

When I was a Christian, I always had an issue with the concept of hell. It made no sense to me that one's eternal destiny could be based on a belief they had (sometimes made at the very last moment before their death, too) rather than primarily based on how one lived their life. I even allowed for the idea that sure, we all mess up -- but overall, most of us intend to do far more good than harm, and that ought to count for something. It bothered me that a criminal, a murderer, could accept Jesus on death row and go to heaven, whereas someone who was an atheist and did their best to live a good life wouldn't be eligible for heaven, based just on what they believed.

Then again, as a Christian, I never thought much about what the Christian idea of heaven meant -- in my head, it was more or less a happy place, free from pain, where we'd see God and see our loved ones again. What I made myself ignore was that several of my loved ones might not be there; I couldn't contemplate such good people not being there. I also made myself ignore what heaven really was: an eternal state of worshipping the God of the Old and New testaments... which would mean condoning, loving and worshipping all the things that God did, because God is "holy". Once I realized that was more the Christian concept of heaven, I grew far less interested in it. I couldn't even stomach it. I realized I didn't condone so much of what I read in the Bible... and that's when I realized that even if "A" God could possibly exist somewhere, I no longer wanted to follow that one.

That was the beginning of my walk away from Christianity. I honestly examined what I knew about the Bible, about what eternal life would mean if I continued to want to accept it, and chose not to. I knew that I couldn't in good conscience believe a deity was holy when I could or would never want to do to humans most of the things this God did to them. So, that was that. 

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

MariaEvri

QuoteFor me to elaborate would be considered preaching.  I'll suggest simply that the woman while not a "lost sheep of Israel" was nonetheless given the same that was considered only for the "lost sheep of Israel" and therefore...the same.

what if the woman instead of saying yes I am a dog said instead "please do not swear at me, I am human"
would she get any help then?
why would god need to call names in order to help? Why does he need to berud? Where is the love?
if she didn;t have faith he wouldn't have helped?
If I were a doctor, I would help as much as I could witout the need for calling names, or asking if they believe or not. If I claimed I loved all people, I would help all people.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MariaEvri on March 15, 2012, 06:06:38 PM
QuoteFor me to elaborate would be considered preaching.  I'll suggest simply that the woman while not a "lost sheep of Israel" was nonetheless given the same that was considered only for the "lost sheep of Israel" and therefore...the same.

what if the woman instead of saying yes I am a dog said instead "please do not swear at me, I am human"
why would god need to call names in order to help? Why does he need to berud? Where is the love?
If I were a doctor, I would help as much as I could witout the need for calling names, or asking if they believe or not. If I claimed I loved all people, I would help all people.

I don't get it.  You seem to take offense at "dogs", but cannot see that she wasn't a "dog"..."Dog" is simply a metaphor for someone that "picks up the scraps" whereas the believer is the one that embraces and believes therefore comes to Him.  This episode simply points out that Christ will heal ALL that come.  If one needs help, but doesn't come, then they don't get healing.  However if their need surpasses their understanding and believe, Christ is faithful to heal.  Hence also the gift metaphor.  As long as I'm out of touch with those that want to give me a xmas/birthday gift, I don't receive the gift that they would otherwise give me.

There's nothing rude about this God respecting one's beliefs or lack thereof.

Amicale

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 15, 2012, 06:24:26 PM

I don't get it.  You seem to take offense at "dogs", but cannot see that she wasn't a "dog"..."Dog" is simply a metaphor for someone that "picks up the scraps" whereas the believer is the one that embraces and believes therefore comes to Him.  This episode simply points out that Christ will heal ALL that come.  If one needs help, but doesn't come, then they don't get healing.  However if their need surpasses their understanding and believe, Christ is faithful to heal.  Hence also the gift metaphor.  As long as I'm out of touch with those that want to give me a xmas/birthday gift, I don't receive the gift that they would otherwise give me.

AD, I don't see what you seem to see in the text.

Quote from: Matthew 15:21-28
Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."
Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."
The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.
He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."
"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."
Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

What I see here is Jesus saying he only came for the Jews - the 'lost sheep of Israel'. He believed that he was sent to ONLY primarily take care of those people, not the others. When he says it's not right to take the children's bread and toss it to the dogs, he seems to be saying that it's right right to waste time/effort/miracles/healing on people he wasn't sent to help. The woman responds to this by saying she's so desperate that even if the time/effort/miracles/healing aren't meant for her (or her daughter), she'll take any "leftovers" that there might be. Essentially, she's saying "even if you didn't want me to have it, I'll take it anyway if there's a bit of it that comes my way". That's sad, first that Jesus wouldn't seem to WANT to help all people... and secondly, sad that before he helped her, she had to make the point of nearly begging for the help.

These verses don't suggest that Jesus thought he came to help everyone, that he was sent to help everyone, or that he wanted to help everyone. He grudgingly helped her, supposedly, because he was maybe so surprised that even though she wasn't 'a lost sheep of Israel', she still thought he could help.

I dunno. It just strikes me as odd that if Jesus were divine, he'd have this response to a human being he in fact created, as he was also God, besides being the son of God. Anyone else have an issue with that, too? After all, we'd find it downright insulting today if we went to the doctor and said "please help me, my daughter has a medical issue" and the response was "sorry, my practice isn't really meant to help people like you" when in fact the doctor advertised himself as being able to treat that exact condition.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on March 15, 2012, 06:46:18 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 15, 2012, 06:24:26 PM

AD, I don't see what you seem to see in the text.

Quote from: Matthew 15:21-28
Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."
Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."
The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.
He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."
"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."
Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

What I see here is Jesus saying he only came for the Jews - the 'lost sheep of Israel'. He believed that he was sent to ONLY primarily take care of those people, not the others. When he says it's not right to take the children's bread and toss it to the dogs, he seems to be saying that it's right right to waste time/effort/miracles/healing on people he wasn't sent to help. The woman responds to this by saying she's so desperate that even if the time/effort/miracles/healing aren't meant for her (or her daughter), she'll take any "leftovers" that there might be. Essentially, she's saying "even if you didn't want me to have it, I'll take it anyway if there's a bit of it that comes my way". That's sad, first that Jesus wouldn't seem to WANT to help all people... and secondly, sad that before he helped her, she had to make the point of nearly begging for the help.

These verses don't suggest that Jesus thought he came to help everyone, that he was sent to help everyone, or that he wanted to help everyone. He grudgingly helped her, supposedly, because he was maybe so surprised that even though she wasn't 'a lost sheep of Israel', she still thought he could help.

I dunno. It just strikes me as odd that if Jesus were divine, he'd have this response to a human being he in fact created, as he was also God, besides being the son of God. Anyone else have an issue with that, too? After all, we'd find it downright insulting today if we went to the doctor and said "please help me, my daughter has a medical issue" and the response was "sorry, my practice isn't really meant to help people like you" when in fact the doctor advertised himself as being able to treat that exact condition.

I understand why you would think or interpret this as such.  It is because this is cherry-picking an argument and not taking the whole of the bible to interpret a small piece.

One text:

Quote from: Romans 10:10-14 NIVFor it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.  As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."  For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in?

Granted there is AT LEAST one word that might need some defining in there(what does it mean to be justified), but that is what study is for.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 15, 2012, 03:38:07 PM
BUT that you're offended by someone thinking/saying to you, "You're going to hell." ??
I'm actually fine with you thinking it, but to verbally tell someone or to imply it to that person that does not believe as you do, that I find offensive. We are not part of this horrific mythical fairytale. We live in the real world.
I find it as bad as when Christians jump up and down for joy when a disaster such as the Japan tsunami or the Christmas tsunami that hit indonesia. These guys seem genuinely excited at the death and destruction of others as if they think the rapture is upon the earth. It seems to me they take pleasure in others misfortunes. Imagined or real, it doesn't matter, the intent is the same.

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 15, 2012, 03:38:07 PM
I neither judged nor damned DJ.  I simply "noted" her choice in the matter of fairytale.  My point was that she made a statement of choice on the matter of a fairytale claim.
What was the point behind verballising this observation of yours? So what if she did make a statement of choice, what does that lead to?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on March 15, 2012, 06:59:52 PM
What was the point behind verballising this observation of yours? So what if she did make a statement of choice, what does that lead to?

One word:  Choice or Freewill.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 15, 2012, 07:01:57 PM

I am totally confused by this. Isn't freewill just an expression of choice?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

It's not much of a choice, if you ask me.

I used to work for a company that gave you 6 sick days (and would crow about this when talking about the benefits package "6 sick days a year!") but then would write you up if you took over 5 sick days per year.   Sure, you have 6 sick days, as long as you're not actually dumb enough to use them.  Sure, god gave you  freewill.  As long as you're not actually dumb enough to use it!

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 15, 2012, 07:11:50 PM

Yeah, it is! (mind is blown)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

I would call BS on that.
Your intent was not to discuss or prove freewill but was to highlight Pascal's manipulative wager.

If you want to discuss, or try to prove free will then why not start a thread. I'm pretty sure I could debunk the concept of free will.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 15, 2012, 07:11:50 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt

Sure.  One chooses their beliefs of their own freewill.  Both fit the point.  I simply meant either of the two fit.  Maybe I should've written, "Two words: Choice, Freewill" ?   

Quote from: Ali on March 15, 2012, 07:16:08 PM
It's not much of a choice, if you ask me.

And yet DJ expressed her choice.  If God is, then knowing the bible, she's clear on her choice.  It's not me damning her or willing the consequence.  If one is not clear on the choice(s), then I don't presume to know how God will judge.

Quote from: AliI used to work for a company that gave you 6 sick days (and would crow about this when talking about the benefits package "6 sick days a year!") but then would write you up if you took over 5 sick days per year.   Sure, you have 6 sick days, as long as you're not actually dumb enough to use them.  Sure, god gave you  freewill.  As long as you're not actually dumb enough to use it!

So did you choose to work there or were you forced? 

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on March 15, 2012, 07:33:26 PM
I would call BS on that.
Your intent was not to discuss or prove freewill but was to highlight Pascal's manipulative wager.

How is it manipulative?  Have you been manipulated into something or have you been able to use your own thoughts to come to your beliefs...err...disbelief, to be more specific. 

Quote from: StevilIf you want to discuss, or try to prove free will then why not start a thread. I'm pretty sure I could debunk the concept of free will.

You're always on the attack, Stevil.  It's difficult to read your words in a calm tone.  I'll try though.  If I'm deluded, why would it cause you to get offendedby any of this?