News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Heaven, would you really want to exist forever ?

Started by unholy1971, December 31, 2011, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 05, 2012, 07:15:14 PM
I can't magine that being the case.  

I would guess in heaven there's no longer the same demands as life here on earth.  I don't see hours out of every day being spent earning a living, repairing the house, maintaining the yard, raising the kids, running errands, paying bills, dealing with traffic, or even hours spent doing more relaxing and enjoyable stuff like surfing the web, watching football, (the American kind :)) taking a vacation, and on and on and on with all the different sort of things we do here.  I expect your afterlife will be devoid of all these things and your choices for entertainment will be pretty much non-existant.

But you can imagine, right?  No one knows for sure and I'm simply giving my opinion on the matter.  I take what I know about God and how he created us (remember in context of a fairytale).  I think life on earth since creation has gone BASICALLY the way it was meant to APART from what sin causes.  Please don't make me explain that.  It would be too difficult and involve WAY too much.

MadBomr101

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 05, 2012, 07:50:11 PMBut you can imagine, right?  No one knows for sure and I'm simply giving my opinion on the matter.

In fact, I have a vivid imagination and I'm going to assume you have one as well.  So far, I've detailed why I think there's little or nothing to do in heaven while your reply to my question "What is there to do in heaven?" has merely been a throwaway "Me personally...not a whole lot different than life as we know it.

That's not a reply.  Please use your imagination and outline what you believe is a day in heaven...cuz if it's real, you're going to have a LOT of them.  Those of us who don't believe in all this would find it fascinating to know.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Sweetdeath

I guess everyone's definition of "heaven" is different. Mine would be filled with endless anime amd sci fi cons , star trek marathons, and epic video game lounges.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 05, 2012, 08:03:32 PM
In fact, I have a vivid imagination and I'm going to assume you have one as well.  So far, I've detailed why I think there's little or nothing to do in heaven while your reply to my question "What is there to do in heaven?" has merely been a throwaway "Me personally...not a whole lot different than life as we know it."
A throw away?  There is no definition, nor anyone that's reported the heaven place from the fairytale...how can I give any detail on speculation?
That's not a reply.  Please use your imagination and outline what you believe is a day in heaven...cuz if it's real, you're going to have a LOT of them.  Those of us who don't believe in all this would find it fascinating to know.
It's hard to imagine this would go over without the typical ridicule.  It's almost evident considering your wording above.  It would certainly require 100% imagination in that there is no report on what heaven is like other than a place without sin, gold streets, etc. (which is probably not literal streets of gold, but figurative)

superfes

The idea of Heaven was based on the endorphin release that you get when we worship and spend time in familiar areas of our life and childhood.

So do you want to feel good forever?

Well... the actual question is, do you want to be high forever and ever?

;-)
Nothing teaches the true teachings of Jesus Christ better than not following them.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: superfes on January 05, 2012, 10:01:00 PM
The idea of Heaven was based on the endorphin release that you get when we worship and spend time in familiar areas of our life and childhood.

So do you want to feel good forever?

Well... the actual question is, do you want to be high forever and ever?

;-)

I guess this reply is quite in line with what I figured.  I also assume we are not now speaking of the heaven in context of the piece of fiction known as the bible.

If you mean a high as a drug high, no.  If you mean a high as in unending happiness, or removal of all pain, physiological, physical, emotional...all pain, sure.  I'm game for that.

MadBomr101

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 05, 2012, 09:02:29 PMIt's hard to imagine this would go over without the typical ridicule.  It's almost evident considering your wording above.  It would certainly require 100% imagination in that there is no report on what heaven is like other than a place without sin, gold streets, etc. (which is probably not literal streets of gold, but figurative)

You seem to be a decent sort, AD and I save my contempt for the louder, brasher, more intolerant and judgemental of your bretheren.  I can assure you it's not my intention to ridicule you.  I ask out of genuine curiosity to better understand what the average Xian believes in awaiting him/her in the afterlife.  Understand I'm not asking for a fact based report.  No one has ever actually described for me what they think a day in heaven may be like based on what they know of their religion and what they believe god has promised them.  Xians will describe in gruesome detail what they believe hell looks, smells and feels like as well as what goes on there, I just find it hard to believe that they can't convey the same information about heaven.

How does one spend one's time in such a realm?  I'm curious to know what the average Xian believes life in heaven may be, however, you're clearly reticent to share whatever idea you may have on this topic so I won't press the issue further.   :)

But I'm disappointed.   :(
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Ecurb Noselrub

Please use your imagination and outline what you believe is a day in heaven...cuz if it's real, you're going to have a LOT of them.  Those of us who don't believe in all this would find it fascinating to know.

I envision it as a dynamic process, in which we participate in endless creative activities, as partners with God.  Perhaps other universes will be instituted.  Whatever can be imagined that is good and beautiful will come into being. The kingdom of God is a dimension from which all other dimensions derive their existence, and we will participate in that process as beings created in God's image. That's how I imagine it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 06, 2012, 12:37:39 AM
You seem to be a decent sort, AD and I save my contempt for the louder, brasher, more intolerant and judgemental of your bretheren.  I can assure you it's not my intention to ridicule you.  I ask out of genuine curiosity to better understand what the average Xian believes in awaiting him/her in the afterlife.  Understand I'm not asking for a fact based report.  No one has ever actually described for me what they think a day in heaven may be like based on what they know of their religion and what they believe god has promised them.  Xians will describe in gruesome detail what they believe hell looks, smells and feels like as well as what goes on there, I just find it hard to believe that they can't convey the same information about heaven.

How does one spend one's time in such a realm?  I'm curious to know what the average Xian believes life in heaven may be, however, you're clearly reticent to share whatever idea you may have on this topic so I won't press the issue further.   :)

But I'm disappointed.   :(

Hell:  It's not a place of torment (while it is portrayed as such, much like streets of gold) it is a metaphor used to describe eternal separation from that which is the only thing, if you will, able to sustain and/or grant life eternal.  There are fires of hell, but not perpetual fire and only burning as long as there is something to burn.  For one example of the interpretation or idea from within the piece of fiction, see Jude 1:7 if you're interested.

Heaven:  My opinion based solely on my personal beliefs.  I don't know of anyone else that might hold the same as I've not really shared this too much.  Because we are made, according to the piece of fiction, in God's image, I believe God, while originally not human in form, sees the human form as perfect, has given humanity a mind similar to His own in many ways, a thinker, creative, loving...all the good of humanity.  He put man in a garden originally before sin entered into the equation.  So Man is meant to work the ground albeit prior to sin, the work less "work" and more enjoyment.  After the fall, we read that things became more difficult...anyway the point is that Man is meant to be on this earth and God made this earth for man.  I believe we would've progressed much to the point we are now, but maybe earlier and much more advanced up to this point at least.  Man would see a need, the wheel...electricity...and everything else that man has found possible to do.

So it is in this context that I view and therefore think heaven will be much like life here now.  I don't think there would be a monetary system of buying and selling, but I do think we could do all sorts of things we do now.  Is there anything wrong with snow skiing?  Water skiing?  What about homes?  The piece of fiction mentions mansions, what was understood or meant by mansions during the time and culture of the writing, we can at least conclude some sort of dwellings.  Travel...well, it doesn't seem Adam and Eve were given the ability to "fly", so maybe it won't be that we can fly like birds per se, but travel to and from planets may be quite possible in the heaven.  I don't see why we could not have some sort of vehicles in heaven.  What's wrong with boating, motoX, ATV's, racing...and all that goes with it.  I don't see why it can't be there.

So what might a day look like in heaven?  I'm not certain about sleeping as in rest, but a day might consist of family breakfast, possibly a short time of worship (after all, everyone there apparently wants to be there and does love God/Jesus) that wouldn't be an issue of boredom.  I enjoy music and the praise service at my church now, I can't imagine the set up in heaven!  The day starts, maybe today is a "work" day where we gather our food or we go out for some sight-seeing.  Maybe a movie...hey why not.  There's lots of interesting things God could show us about our "earthly" history that might be of huge interest.  The big bang, dinosaurs, black holes, the subjects seem limitless.  I don't really know what a day would be like.  It's almost overwhelming to ponder.

I believe there will be a worship day.  If God "needed" rest from creating, so we also "need" rest in Him.  I don't know how days will be counted, if at all.  I haven't really figured this out yet.  It's all just ideas floating around my mind.  There are many things that I have no answer for in reconciling for in heaven.

I hope this helps. 

MadBomr101

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 06, 2012, 01:42:30 AMHell:  It's not a place of torment (while it is portrayed as such, much like streets of gold) it is a metaphor used to describe eternal separation from that which is the only thing, if you will, able to sustain and/or grant life eternal.  There are fires of hell, but not perpetual fire and only burning as long as there is something to burn.  For one example of the interpretation or idea from within the piece of fiction, see Jude 1:7 if you're interested.

Heaven:  My opinion based solely on my personal beliefs.  I don't know of anyone else that might hold the same as I've not really shared this too much.  Because we are made, according to the piece of fiction, in God's image, I believe God, while originally not human in form, sees the human form as perfect, has given humanity a mind similar to His own in many ways, a thinker, creative, loving...all the good of humanity.  He put man in a garden originally before sin entered into the equation.  So Man is meant to work the ground albeit prior to sin, the work less "work" and more enjoyment.  After the fall, we read that things became more difficult...anyway the point is that Man is meant to be on this earth and God made this earth for man.  I believe we would've progressed much to the point we are now, but maybe earlier and much more advanced up to this point at least.  Man would see a need, the wheel...electricity...and everything else that man has found possible to do.

So it is in this context that I view and therefore think heaven will be much like life here now.  I don't think there would be a monetary system of buying and selling, but I do think we could do all sorts of things we do now.  Is there anything wrong with snow skiing?  Water skiing?  What about homes?  The piece of fiction mentions mansions, what was understood or meant by mansions during the time and culture of the writing, we can at least conclude some sort of dwellings.  Travel...well, it doesn't seem Adam and Eve were given the ability to "fly", so maybe it won't be that we can fly like birds per se, but travel to and from planets may be quite possible in the heaven.  I don't see why we could not have some sort of vehicles in heaven.  What's wrong with boating, motoX, ATV's, racing...and all that goes with it.  I don't see why it can't be there.

So what might a day look like in heaven?  I'm not certain about sleeping as in rest, but a day might consist of family breakfast, possibly a short time of worship (after all, everyone there apparently wants to be there and does love God/Jesus) that wouldn't be an issue of boredom.  I enjoy music and the praise service at my church now, I can't imagine the set up in heaven!  The day starts, maybe today is a "work" day where we gather our food or we go out for some sight-seeing.  Maybe a movie...hey why not.  There's lots of interesting things God could show us about our "earthly" history that might be of huge interest.  The big bang, dinosaurs, black holes, the subjects seem limitless.  I don't really know what a day would be like.  It's almost overwhelming to ponder.

I believe there will be a worship day.  If God "needed" rest from creating, so we also "need" rest in Him.  I don't know how days will be counted, if at all.  I haven't really figured this out yet.  It's all just ideas floating around my mind.  There are many things that I have no answer for in reconciling for in heaven.

I hope this helps.

Now THAT's a reply!  Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

As an atheist, I can't say I agree with what you've envisioned but if I were Xian maybe I'd be right there with you on it.  That's never gonna happen so I'd just like to ask Ecurb and any other Xian on this board, if they agree with your vision.  I'm curious how much agreement among the faithful there may be on their respective visions of heaven.
- Bomr

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 06, 2012, 04:03:46 AM

As an atheist, I can't say I agree with what you've envisioned but if I were Xian maybe I'd be right there with you on it.  That's never gonna happen so I'd just like to ask Ecurb and any other Xian on this board, if they agree with your vision.  I'm curious how much agreement among the faithful there may be on their respective visions of heaven.

You're welcome.  My imagination can run more, but my imagination also runs into problems of which I cannot possibly know the answer to this side of that fictional promise.  :)

iSok

Depends on what you think of Heaven, a place of experience or a place of being.
Qur'an [49:13] - "O Mankind, We created you all from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another. Verily the noblest of you in the sight of God is the most God-fearing of you. Surely God is All-Knowing, All-Aware."

MadBomr101

Quote from: iSok on January 07, 2012, 01:45:51 AM

Please explain the difference as you see it. 
- Bomr

iSok

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 07, 2012, 01:51:19 AM
Quote from: iSok on January 07, 2012, 01:45:51 AM

Please explain the difference as you see it.  

In the beginning Reality was at once being, knowledge and bliss (sat, chit and ananda of the Hindu tradition or qudra, hikmah and rahma which are among the names of Allah in Islam).
Heaven is a return to that unity from our world of multiplicity. The world of experience ends and Heaven is a place where one's condition does not change, there is no longer a perception of time. The liquid soul crystallizes and does no longer perceive experience.
Qur'an [49:13] - "O Mankind, We created you all from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another. Verily the noblest of you in the sight of God is the most God-fearing of you. Surely God is All-Knowing, All-Aware."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: MadBomr101 on January 06, 2012, 04:03:46 AM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 06, 2012, 01:42:30 AMHell:  It's not a place of torment (while it is portrayed as such, much like streets of gold) it is a metaphor used to describe eternal separation from that which is the only thing, if you will, able to sustain and/or grant life eternal.  There are fires of hell, but not perpetual fire and only burning as long as there is something to burn.  For one example of the interpretation or idea from within the piece of fiction, see Jude 1:7 if you're interested.

I hope this helps.

I prefer to keep my speculations about the Kingdom of God fairly brief and general, as my previous post on this subject demonstrates.  We don't have a lot in the way of description from Jesus or Paul.  I can't dispute AD's thoughts on the subject, but I simply prefer to not go there.  Paul indicates that it's essentially greater than anything that we can imagine.  Hope he's right.