News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Just saw The Avengers

Started by McQ, May 06, 2012, 03:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Firebird on May 29, 2012, 03:53:49 AM
We finally saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Robert Downey Jr. stole the show as I expected him to; his presence on-screen is really amazing, and one reason Captain America (and to some extent Thor) paled in comparison to the Iron Man movies.

Loved the Hulk scenes, especially the one with him and Thor in Grand Central station (won't give away what happens just in case any of you haven't seen it, but I was laughing for 2 minutes afterward :)

I did catch Captain America's little line about there being "only one god, ma'am." Why is it pop culture went from rebelling against old religious stereotypes back in the 60's to falling over each other talking about god? (John Lennon sings the virtues of "no religion too", Cee-Lo changes it to "All religion's true". Just sayin'. This is an atheist forum after all. Ok, end rant).

That Capt America line really bothered me a loooot. I gave my gf a look like "wow, really...?"

Different time or not. It's a movie made in 2012, and that kinda b.s propaganda didn't need to be in there. :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

Well, it figures, I'm the lone hold out. I'm glad I saw it just so I can say I saw it. I just don't think it was THAT great. It was ok. I am reminded of all the hype before it came out. The big build up. And then I am reminded of a few guys at work sitting around talking about the "funny" stuff (before I saw it). I see the same thing here. Seems most people remember the funny stuff...but it wasn't a comedy.

The Iron Leading Man takes center stage, but that's because the writers have him take center stage. And I don't know why. It would seem to me that the bad guy being Thor's adopted brother and comes from the same place as Thor, Thor should have been the central character.

The leading lady is....what?

Capt. America ends up being the mild mannered butler with superpowers.

It was all too easy.
If you put Stalin, Churchill, Roosevelt, Rommel, Hitler, Montgomery, Patton, and Yamamoto all in the same room and told them to save the world....

It is this incredibleness that wrecks movies for me. It's why TV shows like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica worked. They came of as credible. And it's the incredibleness of Avengers that blew it for me.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

Mild mannered butler with super powers. I likw that, lol  xDD

Black widow was bleeh. Kinda lame. And Hawkeye was posssed 2/3 of the movie.

I agree Thor should of had a bigger role than Ironman.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 28, 2012, 10:40:46 PM
Hey guys. Just saw the Avengers on Saturday. I really enjoyed it. There was a lot of cute scenes berween Dr. Baner and Tony stark.

My gf really loved him as the hulk though. Especially when he punched Thor.  XD

Here is us being super happy  after seeing the movie

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/boubunny/2012-05-26165225.jpg

<3

D'awwwwwww, what a cute couple!  You guys both look so happy!

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on May 29, 2012, 05:28:28 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 28, 2012, 10:40:46 PM
Hey guys. Just saw the Avengers on Saturday. I really enjoyed it. There was a lot of cute scenes berween Dr. Baner and Tony stark.

My gf really loved him as the hulk though. Especially when he punched Thor.  XD

Here is us being super happy  after seeing the movie

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/boubunny/2012-05-26165225.jpg

<3

D'awwwwwww, what a cute couple!  You guys both look so happy!

More power to their elbows.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Sweetdeath

Thank you, Ali!! :D

Our elbows? O_o