News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Just saw The Avengers

Started by McQ, May 06, 2012, 03:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

I saw it in IMAX 3D. I haven't seen it regular, but it was pretty sweet on the big screen. One of the better action movies I've seen.

And the trailer for the SpiderMan reboot looks pretty cool in 3D as well.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

Quote from: Crow on May 09, 2012, 02:04:39 PM
I wasn't even interested in this film after watching the Thor and Captain America movies, but after hearing so many positive reviews about the film I went to watch it last night. I loved it.
It looks like it's time to go to the pictures.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ThinkAnarchy

I wasn't even interested in this film after watching the Thor and Captain America movies, but after hearing so many positive reviews about the film I went to watch it last night. I loved it.

Thankfully I didn't see either of those two movies, but was not at all interested in this one. I will give it a chance when it's released on DVD though since most people seem to really enjoy it.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

McQ

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2012, 06:50:37 PM

You may like this. I have now also seen it in IMAX 3D and I have to admit to liking that even more than the regular version. I'm not a 3D fan, either. We have a really nice, new IMAX theater, so I decided to try both. 3D was much more detailed and totally immersive.

Loved.
It.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Crow

Quote from: McQ on May 09, 2012, 10:49:58 PM

You may like this. I have now also seen it in IMAX 3D and I have to admit to liking that even more than the regular version. I'm not a 3D fan, either. We have a really nice, new IMAX theater, so I decided to try both. 3D was much more detailed and totally immersive.

Loved.
It.

I may have to watch it it again, I also went for the non 3D version. I would watch it again just for the Hulk and Loki scene to be honest.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

The Avengers already made a billion dolars plus and broke a few records.  :o I liked the movie, but I could never predict it would be such a hit.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

McQ

@ Crow: I could watch that scene over and over and over!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

ThinkAnarchy

I became more interested when I heard the guy who made Firefly was involved with it. I think he directed, but when I saw his name I was sold. Still haven't seen it yet though.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Velma

Quote from: Crow on May 10, 2012, 12:01:54 AM

Loved.
It.

I may have to watch it it again, I also went for the non 3D version. I would watch it again just for the Hulk and Loki scene to be honest.
That was my favorite scene.   :)
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on May 15, 2012, 10:19:52 AM
Quote from: Crow on May 10, 2012, 12:01:54 AM

Loved.
It.

That was my favorite scene.   :)

Puny god :D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

I don't know much about Avengers, haven't seen Captain America or Thor. They seem a bit silly, guy looking like American flag running around with a shield and Viking guy running around with an oversized hammer.

Ironman II was terribly boring.

I quite like X-Men though, liked the 'toons on telly when I was young and the movies were pretty good, especially the Wolverine movie.
Even read the X-men origins comic book. Drawing were really good, especially the Jean Grey origin story.

Gawen

I saw it yesterday, purposely waiting for the crowds to die down (and still the theater was packed). A bit of opinionated background first:
Iron Man and Thor were my favs, although the second Iron Man was just so-so. Paltrow, in the two IM movies, appeals to me in ways other then her screen presence.

Thor, I thought, was brilliant. Princess Amidala, while a very good actress is not an actor that draws me to the movies.

I liked Hulk II, the one with Tim Roth as the bad guy.

I never saw Captain America. My cognitive dissonance was so, that it would not let me watch Nazi Germany in the light it was shown. On top of that, I am not a fan of pro-American propaganda movies. (wait till you see my scathing review of Battleship)

On to a few remarks of the current movie.
Avengers: LOIS (Last One I'll See)
"There is only one God and I don't think he dresses that way" - Captain America. Anyone catch that?
Of course, Hulk makes up for it in probably the best line and scene (mentioned in a post above) in the entire 2 1/2 hours.

This movie should have been in two parts; 1) How the Avengers comes together, background of SHIELD, more character study, Loki comes to earth...2) The war. I feel Avengers was just to rushed, not unlike the Transformers III movie, which I didn't care for. Fascinating characters with no further character development. Some of the characters hide away, but SHIELD knows their whereabouts...how?

Drab second stringers:
Black Widow, superfluous and unnecessary, with too much screen time. I'm not a fan of cat suits, being overdone and boring. Johansson's talents were lost in this character. Has she gained weight?

Hawkeye, same as Black Widow, with arrows that never miss (even when he doesn't aim) and explosive arrows that can take out huge chunks of armoured flying aircraft carriers.

Oddly enough, my favourite character was Loki, who didn't get near enough screen time as the bad guy.

Nick Fury, lackluster and hardly furious. However, Agent Maria Hill was hot. I really would like to know how Fury can shoot so accurately with no depth perception. A one-eyed Gandhi with a gun:
"There was an idea to bring together a group of remarkable people, so when we needed them, they could fight the battles that we never could..."

A few really good lines:
Natasha Romanoff: Regimes fall every day. I tend not to weep over that, I'm Russian.

Loki: What have I to fear?
Tony Stark: The Avengers. It's what we call ourselves, sort of like a team. "Earth's Mighiest Heroes" type thing.
Loki: Yes, I've met them.
Tony Stark: Yeah, takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one. But let's do a head count here: your brother the demi-god; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins, and YOU, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them.
Loki: That was the plan.
Tony Stark: Not a great plan. When they come, and they WILL, they'll come for you.
Loki: I have an army.
Tony Stark: We have a Hulk.

Nick Fury: We have no quarrel with your people.
Loki: An ant has no quarrel with a boot.

Steve Rogers: (Talking about Thor) What's the matter, scared of a little lightning?
Loki: I'm not overly fond of what follows...

Still, over all, meh...*shrugs my shoulders*. Too much...too fast...overlong...monotonous...too incredible. The more I think about it, the less I like it. What was I expecting? Honestly, I'm not sure. But witty lines and a movie where no one seems to enjoy themselves (except when they insult each other) isn't what I thought it would be.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sweetdeath

Hey guys. Just saw the Avengers on Saturday. I really enjoyed it. There was a lot of cute scenes berween Dr. Baner and Tony stark.

My gf really loved him as the hulk though. Especially when he punched Thor.  XD

Here is us being super happy  after seeing the movie

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/boubunny/2012-05-26165225.jpg

<3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Firebird

We finally saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Robert Downey Jr. stole the show as I expected him to; his presence on-screen is really amazing, and one reason Captain America (and to some extent Thor) paled in comparison to the Iron Man movies.

Loved the Hulk scenes, especially the one with him and Thor in Grand Central station (won't give away what happens just in case any of you haven't seen it, but I was laughing for 2 minutes afterward :)

I did catch Captain America's little line about there being "only one god, ma'am." Why is it pop culture went from rebelling against old religious stereotypes back in the 60's to falling over each other talking about god? (John Lennon sings the virtues of "no religion too", Cee-Lo changes it to "All religion's true". Just sayin'. This is an atheist forum after all. Ok, end rant).

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Velma

Capt. America is from a different time.  He went into the deep freeze during WWII, so I had no problem with the line.

My husband and I both enjoyed the movie and have seen it twice.  We'll probably see it about when it shows up on Netflix or one of the movie channels.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan