News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: What About Dignity?

Started by Egor, December 11, 2011, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

As a Christian here on HAF, I'd like to say that up to this point I've been fairly and kindly treated and I don't anticipate it changing anytime soon.

On the subject, I'll throw out a thought.  It's possible that Egor is equating the "Absolute Moral" argument with 'Dignity'.  I'm not certain it extends to simple ideas/feelings such as 'dignity'.  I've had a hard time following Egor's line of thinking and certainly disagree more than I've agreed so far.  Maybe if you, Egor, take your next step in questioning or continuing here, I may understand better later and maybe even chime in.

Gawen

Well, the fact that this is a discussion board...emphasis on 'discussion'. It's all well and good to come here and ask a question. I have no problem with that. But when the person who poses the question comes back with a number of assertions of an opposing POV and does nothing to back them up...well, what can I say? Seems to much like a drive-by and makes the OP and the 10 page thread virtually worthless.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

xSilverPhinx

You asked the question, people answered, but there's still a problem of definition, IMO. You define the word 'dignity' in a way that excludes atheists, we point out the faulty logic but you still insist on maining your definition. So yes, that is having your cake and eating it.

But oh, well.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

I think we should start a drinking game - every time Egor complains that he's going to get banned, even though no one is threatening to ban him, we all take a shot.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Egor on December 11, 2011, 10:59:05 AM
You could have dignity from yourself, but that would be a kind of delusional dignity. You could have dignity from what others think about you, but that is capricious and can be taken away by those same people. Or you can have dignity from the judgment of a being who is greater than yourself, but that could only be God. So that's why I ask where an atheist derives their dignity. Assuming there is no God, can there really be any such thing as dignity or can there only be the illusion of dignity?

Quote from: Egor on December 11, 2011, 09:23:06 PM
No, not at all. Christians are dignified by their status in the kingdom of God. Because we have confessed our sins and been forgiven and try to emulate the person of Jesus Christ whom we put our faith in, we become, quite literally a more advanced being. God places us on a pedestal as it were. We become Son's and Daughters of God.

I saw a tiger look at my daughter when she was little, there were bars so I wasn't worried, it is creepy though, being seen as meat.
I find Egor's posts creepy, it seems I'm being being dehumanized, there is a basis for Egor having dignity, none for me though.
So I find myself in the company of an advanced being, I am now a relatively lower being.
People that think this way have killed so many more people than tigers.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 14, 2011, 01:28:32 AM
Quote from: Egor on December 11, 2011, 10:59:05 AM
You could have dignity from yourself, but that would be a kind of delusional dignity. You could have dignity from what others think about you, but that is capricious and can be taken away by those same people. Or you can have dignity from the judgment of a being who is greater than yourself, but that could only be God. So that's why I ask where an atheist derives their dignity. Assuming there is no God, can there really be any such thing as dignity or can there only be the illusion of dignity?

Quote from: Egor on December 11, 2011, 09:23:06 PM
No, not at all. Christians are dignified by their status in the kingdom of God. Because we have confessed our sins and been forgiven and try to emulate the person of Jesus Christ whom we put our faith in, we become, quite literally a more advanced being. God places us on a pedestal as it were. We become Son's and Daughters of God.

I saw a tiger look at my daughter when she was little, there were bars so I wasn't worried, it is creepy though, being seen as meat.
I find Egor's posts creepy, it seems I'm being being dehumanized, there is a basis for Egor having dignity, none for me though.
So I find myself in the company of an advanced being, I am now a relatively lower being.
People that think this way have killed so many more people than tigers.

Yeaaaah, I'm not all that convinced when he says he hates "atheism" and not "atheists". It gives me a feeling similar to when I hear homo-phobes say they "hate the sin, not the sinner" and then do everything they can to make a gay person's life miserable.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 14, 2011, 01:31:02 AM
Yeaaaah, I'm not all that convinced when he says he hates "atheism" and not "atheists". It gives me a feeling similar to when I hear homo-phobes say they "hate the sin, not the sinner" and then do everything they can to make a gay person's life miserable.
...And then their LORD and MASTER sends them packing to the warm place to swirl on Asmo's Spit, because hate is akin to wrath and that one is a diddly sin... Eh... Doodly... No, that was not it either...  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 14, 2011, 01:15:46 AM
I think we should start a drinking game - every time Egor complains that he's going to get banned, even though no one is threatening to ban him, we all take a shot.

I don't drink but I'm in if I can take a sip of sparkling cider each time he anticipates being banned.

Quote from: Egor on December 13, 2011, 07:51:18 PM
I didn't want to go into my beliefs at all! I wanted to talk about y'all's beliefs.

If this were true, you wouldn't have spent so much time arguing that all the answers you got were invalid and "dignity" could only be defined by your frequently repeated standards (which seem to me to describe a state of grace more than dignity, but I suppose it would have been way too ridiculous to come into an atheist forum asking how atheists enter into a state of grace without a god).

Quote from: Recusant on December 13, 2011, 08:52:17 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on December 13, 2011, 08:45:18 PMSounds to me like a case of:
"I'm not retreating, I am advancing in a different direction!"

I disagree (if you're implying that Egor is beating an ignominious retreat while proclaiming otherwise). Not only is discretion the better part of valor, but Egor's reason for letting this thread drop is reasonable: He has the answer that he was seeking (even if his understanding of that answer seems inadequate to me) and would like to proceed to a new topic.

I have to disagree with your disagreement, I think Ed was indeed choosing to advance in a different direction.  He got answers to his question (at least the only one that made even a little bit of sense) on page 1 and didn't drop it until page 10 when requests for logical definitions and substantion of claims were beyond his ability to produce. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Whitney

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on December 13, 2011, 11:29:13 PM
As a Christian here on HAF, I'd like to say that up to this point I've been fairly and kindly treated and I don't anticipate it changing anytime soon.
Thanks AD
QuoteIt's possible that Egor is equating the "Absolute Moral" argument with 'Dignity'. 

That's what I was thinking too but couldn't manage to connect the dots between the two concepts.

It very vaguely reminds me of the prostelization trick where the believer starts out by asking the nonbeliever if they have ever murdered, stolen, etc until they finally get to the one "deadly sin" everyone has to answer in the affirmative "lie" and then use that to twist a shaky proof about how all humans are sinners in need of salvation through christ.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Whitney on December 14, 2011, 01:59:16 AM
It very vaguely reminds me of the prostelization trick where the believer starts out by asking the nonbeliever if they have ever murdered, stolen, etc until they finally get to the one "deadly sin" everyone has to answer in the affirmative "lie" and then use that to twist a shaky proof about how all humans are sinners in need of salvation through christ.

Sooooo, I guess if they admit to the murdering bit, they can skip right to needing Jesus?

Recusant

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 14, 2011, 01:49:32 AM
Quote from: Recusant on December 13, 2011, 08:52:17 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on December 13, 2011, 08:45:18 PMSounds to me like a case of:
"I'm not retreating, I am advancing in a different direction!"

I disagree (if you're implying that Egor is beating an ignominious retreat while proclaiming otherwise). Not only is discretion the better part of valor, but Egor's reason for letting this thread drop is reasonable: He has the answer that he was seeking (even if his understanding of that answer seems inadequate to me) and would like to proceed to a new topic.

I have to disagree with your disagreement, I think Ed was indeed choosing to advance in a different direction.  He got answers to his question (at least the only one that made even a little bit of sense) on page 1 and didn't drop it until page 10 when requests for logical definitions and substantion of claims were beyond his ability to produce.

Heh, fair enough.  8)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Guardian85

I'm in! Can't drink on duty, but I'll catch up later.   :D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

What are you trying to do DJ? Kill us all from liver failure!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Gawen

I like that....a lot.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

xSilverPhinx

I think I'll pass...someone has to be alcohol free and alert. ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey