News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

End of the world in 5 days

Started by Gawen, October 16, 2011, 07:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

Don't forget Harold Camping's prophecy. Last May was the renamed and re prophesied "spiritual" rapture. In five days, it'll be the end of the world.

I can't wait...
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sandra Craft

I wonder if I need to buy a new umbrella for this.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 16, 2011, 07:55:17 PM
I wonder if I need to buy a new umbrella for this.

No. There may be a few left around for you to take.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Thanks for reminding me.  I was worried about a bill I have to pay next week.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 16, 2011, 08:31:55 PM
Thanks for reminding me.  I was worried about a bill I have to pay next week.
Silly/serious question. If you happened to belive this prophecy, would you, should you, pay the bill?  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on October 16, 2011, 09:06:51 PM
Silly/serious question. If you happened to belive this prophecy, would you, should you, pay the bill?  ;D

Silly/serious answer.  I wouldn't pay anything, but I would redouble my efforts to collect what was owed to me.  It takes money to survive an apocalypse, you know.

Gawen

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 16, 2011, 09:09:44 PM

Silly/serious answer.  I wouldn't pay anything, but I would redouble my efforts to collect what was owed to me.  It takes money to survive an apocalypse, you know.
*chucklin*...good one
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Norfolk And Chance

Although I'm fully aware that 99.9% of christians scoff at Camping and his followers silly beliefs, the irony has not escaped me that it is just one bunch of people with silly beliefs mocking/ignoring another bunch of people with silly beliefs.

Neither side has anything to say that is based in facts or evidence, and the christians rebuttal of Campings ridiculous claims are generally based on the bible apparantly saying that man will not know the time of the rapture. That, rather than ridiculing Camping on the basis of common sense and the fact that he has no evidence to support his claims.

And if any christians DO ridicule Camping based on reason, common sense and evidence, they leave their own silly belief system wide open to question, as you can't really apply reason and evidence to one thing but not another without looking like a muppet.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 16, 2011, 09:09:44 PM

Lol!

OldGit

There are so many predictions like this that one day one of them will come true by chance.  If we have a nuclear war or get zapped by an asteroid, it's likely that some nutter will have called the end of the world on that day.
But at least nobody will be around to say "Told you so!"

Gawen

I predict that God will, one day, turn the celestial light switch off and the sun will be no more. Kinda like when the acetylene torch goes 'POP' when you turn it off. Course, the pop will envelope the earth and then god will have cleansed the earth with fire as he says in the Bible.

Dontcha just love woo?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 17, 2011, 09:37:01 AM
Although I'm fully aware that 99.9% of christians scoff at Camping and his followers silly beliefs, the irony has not escaped me that it is just one bunch of people with silly beliefs mocking/ignoring another bunch of people with silly beliefs.

Neither side has anything to say that is based in facts or evidence, and the christians rebuttal of Campings ridiculous claims are generally based on the bible apparantly saying that man will not know the time of the rapture. That, rather than ridiculing Camping on the basis of common sense and the fact that he has no evidence to support his claims.

And if any christians DO ridicule Camping based on reason, common sense and evidence, they leave their own silly belief system wide open to question, as you can't really apply reason and evidence to one thing but not another without looking like a muppet.

Many good points in your post, but the main reason I ridicule Camping is because in the past 200 years, we've had a gazillion of these guys giving us a date, and it never happens.  Now, the next one is going to be December 21, 2012.  I suggest that everyone invest in Cabela's or some other outfitter company, because there is going to be a run on guns, tents, camping supplies, etc.  Then December 22, 2012 will come, and you will be rich.

Gawen

Quote from: Ecurb NoselrubI suggest that everyone invest in Cabela's or some other outfitter company, because there is going to be a run on guns, tents, camping supplies, etc.  Then December 22, 2012 will come, and you will be rich.
I don't know about rich, but better off than you were. Seems like a good idea.

OldGit

KingPhilip

Didn't the scientists behind the whole Mayan long calendar and the 2012 end of the world thing realize they were several years off?
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti