News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Christianity moral or immoral? Sermon on the Mount

Started by Gawen, October 07, 2011, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Quote from: Gawen on October 07, 2011, 09:58:57 PM
I feel so alone....
I'm waiting for the film version.  ;) Seriously, do you have a pdf/epub version of the complete essay? I'm more comfortable reading from an ebook reader than sitting at the computer.

Gawen

Quote from: Attila on October 22, 2011, 01:00:57 PM
I feel so alone....
I'm waiting for the film version.  ;)
Hmmmm...profiting from my own misery. Never thought of that.

QuoteSeriously, do you have a pdf/epub version of the complete essay? I'm more comfortable reading from an ebook reader than sitting at the computer.
You could always copy and print it.

I guess I'm going to have to get that blog going...
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Attila

Quote from: Gawen on October 22, 2011, 01:21:17 PM
I feel so alone....
I'm waiting for the film version.  ;)
Profiting??? Obviously you don't know who you're dealing with. Hint: I wear a round earring in my left ear and have owned 2 parrots in my life.

QuoteSeriously, do you have a pdf/epub version of the complete essay? I'm more comfortable reading from an ebook reader than sitting at the computer.
QuoteYou could always copy and print it.

I would certainly hope you do... and soon.

Ildiko

Seriously, do you have a pdf/epub version of the complete essay? I'm more comfortable reading from an ebook reader than sitting at the computer.

Attila now has the epub version, optimised for his brand of e-reader. Took me about 20 minutes. So you can test him on it tomorrow.  ;)

Attila

Quote from: Ildiko on October 22, 2011, 01:54:37 PM
Seriously, do you have a pdf/epub version of the complete essay? I'm more comfortable reading from an ebook reader than sitting at the computer.

Attila now has the epub version, optimised for his brand of e-reader. Took me about 20 minutes. So you can test him on it tomorrow.  ;)
But has Gawen released his essay under  copyleft? If not, then it's probably released with DRM which is the sort of thing a theist would do. If Gawen did it, it was surely a slip of the computer key. I will have no truck (lorry?) with DRM.

Recusant

It was a real pleasure to read this, Gawen. I don't know that I've ever encountered such a thorough dissection of the Sermon on the Mount. I hope that one or another of our Christian members provides some feedback from their perspective. Meanwhile, I'd say you've done an excellent job exposing the issues inherent in one of the most revered statements in the Christian canon. Thank you for your effort, sir.

I'll have to re-read it at some time in the near future and see if I can come up with a more critical response.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Gawen

Quote from: Attila on October 22, 2011, 01:33:16 PM
I feel so alone....
I'm waiting for the film version.  ;)
Profiting??? Obviously you don't know who you're dealing with. Hint: I wear a round earring in my left ear and have owned 2 parrots in my life.
Not you......ME!!!....*laffin*
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Gawen

Quote from: Recusant on October 23, 2011, 03:19:17 AM
It was a real pleasure to read this, Gawen. I don't know that I've ever encountered such a thorough dissection of the Sermon on the Mount. I hope that one or another of our Christian members provides some feedback from their perspective. Meanwhile, I'd say you've done an excellent job exposing the issues inherent in one of the most revered statements in the Christian canon. Thank you for your effort, sir.

QuoteI'll have to re-read it at some time in the near future and see if I can come up with a more critical response.
Now you make me want to go back and reread it again (6th, 7th, 8th time?) now.

Thanks, Recusant. I know there's more can be said, but not being a psychologist or sociologist, I can't dredge up any more.
One thing I won't do is take criticism from a Christian on 'context'. I won't even acknowledge a statement of the sort "You're taking it out of context". We all know Jesus's ministry (overall context) was apocalyptic; the end of the world is near, and to prepare believers by showing them the way to gain salvation.

BTW...no copyright...copyleft....copyup...copydown...copysideway or copyinverted. This is a public discussion board. What I say here is for everyone to use as they see fit.

Attila

QuoteBTW...no copyright...copyleft....copyup...copydown...copysideway or copyinverted. This is a public discussion board. What I say here is for everyone to use as they see fit.
Music to my hears (no pun intended regarding other activities). Spoken like a true godless one. Brings a tear to my eye.

Gawen

I have just proof read this again. I've made changes (in blue) to fix typos, and make sentences flow better. I haven't deleted anything, but have added a bit in almost every post.