News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 01, 2020, 04:49:58 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 30, 2020, 02:04:49 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on April 30, 2020, 04:47:37 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1254874082346258435?s=20
That's creative. :tellmemore:
Why didn't I think of this!?
The wine thing? Yes, certainly, but... Why? When in a video conference or some such, who will check what's in your cup? I mean, they might suspect after cup number five or six that there may be something - not sure what, but some... Thing going on there, but beyond that...

Also, don't people usually take out the tiny bag full of grounds out of the cup before drinking tea? I know I do, but I'm a absolute heathen when it comes to tea etiquette, so yeah... We need a English person, what to explain what is and isn't proper to us.

We always take the bag out of the cup and put it into a saucer, or a specially provided little bowl, before drinking the tea. What I notice in American movies, though, is that people often just leave it in the cup with the tag dangling outside over the rim. I also notice that they like to leave the teaspoon in the cup or mug as well, which makes me think they're going to poke it into their eyes.
:lol:
...Or their nose.

Well, I'm not an English person, but I do know that a proper cup of tea is made with loose tea leaves, not a teabag. One must also use a tea strainer and a tea strainer holder.

:reading:

Also, bone china is better, for some strange reason, it enhances the flavor. And it doesn't matter if one pours the milk in the cup before pouring the hot tea. It used to matter when the teacups were so delicate the hot tea would crack it, but that's not the case anymore.

Teabags? I would remove it from the cup...unless I want it very strong, then I would let the bag steep in the cup longer, but leave it in there for too long and it becomes bitter.

Where is Claire:sad sigh:
She could explain it better.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Maturity mode add-on: Disabled

Tea?  :bleh:

Maturity mode add-on: Enabled

Carry on.  :teadrink:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 02, 2020, 03:13:46 AM

:secrets1: I don't like tea either.

I only know about it because I served it at one of the Ritz Carlton Hotels for many, many years.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 02, 2020, 07:21:12 PM

I only know about it because I served it at one of the Ritz Carlton Hotels for many, many years.

:grin: Well, that answers the paradox of how you know so much about tea while not particularly liking it. :P

In my case, I just didn't develop a taste for it. I like maté but hardly ever drink it.

Recusant

I love that GIF. I have a smaller version, but the big one works better.  :lol:

As for tea, I enjoy it very much, and drink it multiple times a day when I'm in the land of tea-drinkers. However, I prefer it without milk, which most of them find nearly unthinkable.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 02, 2020, 08:38:53 PM

:grin: Well, that answers the paradox of how you know so much about tea while not particularly liking it. :P

In my case, I just didn't develop a taste for it. I like maté but hardly ever drink it.
Ah! Maté. Yes.
I've never had it. I hear it's popular in South America. But I heard it's an herb, not a traditional tea "leaf".

I'm down for brewing herbs...or smoking them.

:devil2:

:grin:

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on May 02, 2020, 08:53:30 PM

I love that GIF. I have a smaller version, but the big one works better.  :lol:

As for tea, I enjoy it very much and drink it multiple times a day when I'm in the land of tea-drinkers. However, I prefer it without milk, which most of them find nearly unthinkable.  ;)
English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Scottish Breakfast with no milk!? That's like drinking coffee--black!
You are brave.  :lol:

There is a tea that is not that bad without sugar or cream or lemon, it's an Oolong tea, or a brown tea, the Darjeeling tea. (Some think it's a black tea, I dissagree, there is a huge difference. There's a reason it's called, "The Champagne of teas."
~Doesn't look like a black tea to me.  :smileshake:

billy rubin

whats brave aboutblack coffee?

i make mine coonass style, somewhere close to espresso, or so my numbrr one daughter tells me. shedoeznt like me brewing her costa rican stuff because i go through it sofast

when a quarter bounces on the surface youve got it about right

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 02, 2020, 10:35:49 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 02, 2020, 08:38:53 PM

Ah! Maté. Yes.
I've never had it. I hear it's popular in South America. But I heard it's an herb, not a traditional tea "leaf".

I'm down for brewing herbs...or smoking them.

:devil2:

:grin:

Heh, yes. Down here in southern Brazil they call it 'erva', which also means 'weed' (yes, that kind of weed too ;) )

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on May 03, 2020, 12:08:16 AM
whats brave abroutblack coffee?

i make mine coonass style, somewhere close to espresso, or so my numbrr one daughter tells me. shedoeznt like me brewing her costa rican stuff because i go through it sofast

I don't know what this means,  coonass style, I've never heard this word before, can I order a coonass style coffee at Starbucks? Where will they think I'm from if I ask for one?

hermes2015

I love coffee, with good old Darjeeling and Earl Grey tea a close second, all without milk or sugar. The exception is cappuccino, which I order even in the evening, to the horror and strong disapproval of Italian acquaintances. I don't care, because I enjoy cappuccino at all hours, not just with my breakfast.

Oh, and a cup of camomile tea (no honey!) goes down well from time to time.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: Magdalena on May 03, 2020, 12:31:45 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 03, 2020, 12:08:16 AM
whats brave abroutblack coffee?

I don't know what this means,  coonass style, I've never heard this word before, can I order a coonass style coffee at Starbucks? Where will they think I'm from if I ask for one?

lol

i used to work mudboats and geophysical ships when i was a kid, down in central and southmerica. the coonasses are the acadians.  the french slpeaking americans that live mostly in the mississippi delta. only pkace in the states i know where you have to speak french to get directions.

their coffee is legenday, amongother things. black and about as strong as you can get crosiing french and american southern culture. plus the cooking. all the ships cooks were coonazsez named bill. and one of them made the best chickenfried steak ive ever had.  grits not zo much.

Tank

I have worked in the US for 6 months and I can understand why Americans often dislike tea. Lipton's 'tea' is awful. If that isn't bad enough you can't easily get boiling water either!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 03, 2020, 05:02:01 AM
I love coffee, with good old Darjeeling and Earl Grey tea a close second, all without milk or sugar. The exception is cappuccino, which I order even in the evening, to the horror and strong disapproval of Italian acquaintances. I don't care, because I enjoy cappuccino at all hours, not just with my breakfast.

Oh, and a cup of camomile tea (no honey!) goes down well from time to time.

I love cappuccino!  :yum: Not really a big fan of coffee though, despite many people telling me it's the first habit I would acquire in grad school. :lol:   

billy rubin

the first habit one acquires in grad school is the ability to tolerate arragance among people who. have no social skills