News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Billy, I have had a fortunate long period of time to amass a whole cornucopia of experiences.  Thus I have tasted the fruits of many varieties.  As I am pushing ninety, all that nostalgia is getting to me.

The Adler scrambler, not the one you pictured,........now regarded as motocross bike, was a superb bit of development in the  fifties and sixties.  The Adler ring ding was powerful.  Its one oddity was that the clutch was mounted on the crankshaft and not on the secondary shaft as is now the norm.  There was some good reasoning for doing it that unconventional way.  The Krauts have always been thinkers in the field of dynamic physics.

As for sewing machines, there is, or was, the elegant Bernina. A Swiss made machine that never quite gained acceptance in the US. Partly because it was expensive, but it was made as precisely as the Swiss are reputed to do.

For whatever it might be worth to new sewing machine enthusiasts, I am also a fairly competent sewing machine mechanic who will be pleased to advise you of the solutions to the minor problems that  you might encounter.  Newbies do have some questions about how and why the machine works well or fails to do so....................More cornucopia stuff at your service if desired. 

I reckon I need to be posting this kind of stuff in the Workshop thread that our Dave originated. What the hell..... I will post some other things in that thread in a few days. I have been jeopardizing my fingers with a table saw while making a compass rose. More jeopardy still, while building a radio controlled model boat.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on April 22, 2020, 04:14:59 AM
Billy, I have had a fortunate long period of time to amass a whole cornucopia of experiences.  Thus I have tasted the fruits of many varieties.  As I am pushing ninety, all that nostalgia is getting to me.

The Adler scrambler, not the one you pictured,........now regarded as motocross bike, was a superb bit of development in the  fifties and sixties.  The Adler ring ding was powerful.  Its one oddity was that the clutch was mounted on the crankshaft and not on the secondary shaft as is now the norm.  There was some good reasoning for doing it that unconventional way.  The Krauts have always been thinkers in the field of dynamic physics.

As for sewing machines, there is, or was, the elegant Bernina. A Swiss made machine that never quite gained acceptance in the US. Partly because it was expensive, but it was made as precisely as the Swiss are reputed to do.

For whatever it might be worth to new sewing machine enthusiasts, I am also a fairly competent sewing machine mechanic who will be pleased to advise you of the solutions to the minor problems that  you might encounter.  Newbies do have some questions about how and why the machine works well or fails to do so....................More cornucopia stuff at your service if desired. 

I reckon I need to be posting this kind of stuff in the Workshop thread that our Dave originated. What the hell..... I will post some other things in that thread in a few days. I have been jeopardizing my fingers with a table saw while making a compass rose. More jeopardy still, while building a radio controlled model boat.

Dood. I bought a SawStop Jobsite saw after many years of placing my fingers closer to the blade than I would prefer. I don't know what said saw would cost you there (~$1400 where I am) but the first time that brake triggers, it's worth every penny! Embarrassingly enough, I triggered it by just barely contacting the miter fence to the blade.  :-[

Icarus

Sounds like a good investment DL.   My saw "don't pay no mind".......................... It will rip flesh as readily as it rips wood.

The lyrics of an old folk song, from the civil war era, described two brothers. One wore blue the other wore gray.  The lyric punch line was "the cannon ball don't pay no mind".

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on April 22, 2020, 10:15:04 PM
Sounds like a good investment DL.   My saw "don't pay no mind".......................... It will rip flesh as readily as it rips wood.

The lyrics of an old folk song, from the civil war era, described two brothers. One wore blue the other wore gray.  The lyric punch line was "the cannon ball don't pay no mind".

:lol: And that's the "rip" (rub) with power tools. It cost me $200 for a new blade and brake when this thing triggered. I almost wish that it had been a nick on my finger...no, I really really don't.

Magdalena

One for Asmo:computerwave:
I remember you He wanted a better picture of it a long time ago.

Quote...
The Sombrero Galaxy, named after its resemblance to the Mexican hat, is 28 million light-years away from Earth. At the center of this galaxy, a black hole is believed to exist that's 1 billion times larger than our sun.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/photos/10-images-from-nasas-spitzer-telescope/spectacular-sombrero

Edit: Corrected my huge mistake.  :d'oh!:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

With vixens I'm smitten
the glorious smell of barbequed kitten.
Halle Berry all tied up with strings
these are a few of my favorite things.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

^ god throws frisbies into space?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on April 26, 2020, 05:31:15 AM
One for Asmo:computerwave:
I remember you He wanted a better picture of it a long time ago.

Quote...
The Sombrero Galaxy, named after its resemblance to the Mexican hat, is 28 million light-years away from Earth. At the center of this galaxy, a black hole is believed to exist that's 1 billion times larger than our sun.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/space/photos/10-images-from-nasas-spitzer-telescope/spectacular-sombrero

Edit: Corrected my huge mistake.  :d'oh!:

Quote from: Tank on April 26, 2020, 08:38:08 AM
In visible light.

Wow. :tellmemore:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

My niece wants to be, in her words, "a powerful Youtuber." Later, I'm going to help her install a screen and audio capture software so she can record herself playing online games, and a video-editing software so she can upload polished content to her yet to be created YT channel.

I think it's great she has an attainable idea of what she wants to do at her age. When I was 10, I was sure I was going to be an astronaut or a veterinarian. Not that a 10 yo has to know what they want to do. She's been saying she wants to be a Youtuber since she was like, 6.  ;D

I guess at that age it doesn't really matter if they are successful or not. It could go a long way in teaching her some valuable life skills such as committing to something and being productive (auntie should take her own advice). :grin:   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Asmodean

Quote from: Magdalena on April 30, 2020, 04:47:37 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1254874082346258435?s=20
That's creative. :tellmemore:
Why didn't I think of this!?
The wine thing? Yes, certainly, but... Why? When in a video conference or some such, who will check what's in your cup? I mean, they might suspect after cup number five or six that there may be something - not sure what, but some... Thing going on there, but beyond that...

Also, don't people usually take out the tiny bag full of grounds out of the cup before drinking tea? I know I do, but I'm a absolute heathen when it comes to tea etiquette, so yeah... We need a English person, what to explain what is and isn't proper to us.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on April 30, 2020, 02:04:49 PM
The wine thing? Yes, certainly, but... Why? When in a video conference or some such, who will check what's in your cup? I mean, they might suspect after cup number five or six that there may be something - not sure what, but some... Thing going on there, but beyond that...

Also, don't people usually take out the tiny bag full of grounds out of the cup before drinking tea? I know I do, but I'm a absolute heathen when it comes to tea etiquette, so yeah... We need a English person, what to explain what is and isn't proper to us.

"Nitpicky?"
"Hell, yes."
:grin:

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on April 30, 2020, 02:04:49 PM

We always take the bag out of the cup and put it into a saucer, or a specially provided little bowl, before drinking the tea. What I notice in American movies, though, is that people often just leave it in the cup with the tag dangling outside over the rim. I also notice that they like to leave the teaspoon in the cup or mug as well, which makes me think they're going to poke it into their eyes.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames