News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 18, 2020, 09:35:43 PM
Well I now own a sewing machine! It's fun. So now I have to find a pattern for face masks :)

:notsure:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 01:26:24 AM
Well I now own a sewing machine! It's fun. So now I have to find a pattern for face masks :)

That's not what I meant but I LOVE IT!!! :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2020, 06:54:49 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 01:26:24 AM

That's not what I meant but I LOVE IT!!! :rofl:

:lol:

I dunno, you said 'pattern' and I immediately thought, what better than having a lot of cute coronaviruses stamped all over your face mask? :grin: 

xSilverPhinx

I'm thinking, is it a good idea to keep a journal/diary during this pandemic? I could call it The Corona Diaries. :deadpan: People are estimating this health crisis will last till 2022, to a greater or lesser degree, so there will be plenty of random and not-so-random stuff going through my mind during till then. Perhaps it is a good idea to write some of it down.

Like some of my dreams. I'm having some really bat shit crazy dreams. :deadpan:

Or the soap operaesque scenarios my family is going through right now. Health experts say we need soap to fight the virus, but I doubt soap operas have any place in all this... ::)

Or maybe the ongoing zombie apocalypse in general.

I don't know. :notsure: I'm just rambling. :grin:

Asmodean

Day 1859. The bog roll is all gone. Whatever glint of hope there was before, there's none now. The Zs are a-coming.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

In my head, I'm calling it the "Cabrona" virus.  :P

billy rubin

the price of oil in america has gone negative.

west texas intermediate closed on may futures at US$-37.61 per barrel.

this means that futures holders are paying people to take th eoil off their hands because they don't have storage.

should straighten out at around 20-something in a day or so, but when oil is that low, my job security goes through the floor.

but we have no debts and i paid ff the farm about ten years ago wghen we came into some money, so we'll ride it out.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Magdalena

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 20, 2020, 10:53:03 PM
Ha! Good one.  :lol:
I use that word almost every day.
Cabron. (Masculine)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Magdalena on April 21, 2020, 01:07:38 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 20, 2020, 10:53:03 PM
Ha! Good one.  :lol:
I use that word almost every day.
Cabron. (Masculine)

Yeah, I only used the feminine so that it rhymed better.  ;D

At another website, there was a discussion about the chump's (my name for Trump) lies. I've given to calling his mouth a "lie hole". Every time the chump opens his lie hole, Jesus strangles a kitten. #savethekittens

xSilverPhinx

Google Translate says 'cabron' means 'dumbass'. Is this true? :notsure:

Icarus

I have an Adler compound feed (walking foot, walking needle) sewing machine.  I was in the heavy fabric manufacturing business many years ago and I still have one of the 50 machines that was in my small factory. 

The Adler is entirely capable of sewing masks and I have made a few of them.  That machine head weighs about 60 pounds and the drive motor is 0.8 (3/4 HP) Kilowatt and weighs another 50 pounds. . The machines main purpose was sewing heavy fabrics, canvasses, thick plastics, etc.   It has a giant sized bobbin. 

I also have a big box of folders that I had made some 40 years ago.  Folders are little sheet metal doo- dads that  Folds fabrics ahead of the needle so that you can make a hemmed seam or sew four plies to make straps and a variety of other things all in one pass to the needle. Your garments are made using folders of several kinds. 

Industrial machines of this sort can sew at 5000 needle strokes per minute when appropriate. In the industry it is common to have air jets, sometimes water jets, blowing on the needle to keep it cooler. The needle can get red hot otherwise and the heat melts synthetic threads or burns cotton thread. Gotta keep that needle cool.

A good home style machine is a joy and a pleasure for those that become hooked on sewing.  Big machines like my Adler creates less joy because they are almost always used in an industrial setting where the operation is a job, not a pleasure.   

P.S. Billy R you probably know that back in the day, Adler also built some very fine motorcycles mostly of the two stroke variety. as a matter of fact, the early Yamaha twin two strokes were almost direct copies of the German Adler engine design.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 09:39:05 PM
I'm thinking, is it a good idea to keep a journal/diary during this pandemic?

I say yes.   :bigspecs:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on April 21, 2020, 02:21:58 AM
I have an Adler compound feed (walking foot, walking needle) sewing machine.  I was in the heavy fabric manufacturing business many years ago and I still have one of the 50 machines that was in my small factory. 

The Adler is entirely capable of sewing masks and I have made a few of them.  That machine head weighs about 60 pounds and the drive motor is 0.8 (3/4 HP) Kilowatt and weighs another 50 pounds. . The machines main purpose was sewing heavy fabrics, canvasses, thick plastics, etc.   It has a giant sized bobbin. 

I also have a big box of folders that I had made some 40 years ago.  Folders are little sheet metal doo- dads that  Folds fabrics ahead of the needle so that you can make a hemmed seam or sew four plies to make straps and a variety of other things all in one pass to the needle. Your garments are made using folders of several kinds. 

Industrial machines of this sort can sew at 5000 needle strokes per minute when appropriate. In the industry it is common to have air jets, sometimes water jets, blowing on the needle to keep it cooler. The needle can get red hot otherwise and the heat melts synthetic threads or burns cotton thread. Gotta keep that needle cool.

A good home style machine is a joy and a pleasure for those that become hooked on sewing.  Big machines like my Adler creates less joy because they are almost always used in an industrial setting where the operation is a job, not a pleasure.   

P.S. Billy R you probably know that back in the day, Adler also built some very fine motorcycles mostly of the two stroke variety. as a matter of fact, the early Yamaha twin two strokes were almost direct copies of the German Adler engine design.

You're a true font of knowledge.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 21, 2020, 01:41:37 AM
Google Translate says 'cabron' means 'dumbass'. Is this true? :notsure:

Yes, well, dumbass is good.  :lol:

It has many meanings depending on how one uses it.

Cabrón
Comes from cabra which means male goat, or big male goat. It's also slang for a man whose wife or girlfriend has been unfaithful without him knowing about it, of course. So, calling another man cabron can be extremely insulting or offensive. It can also be translated as a bastard, motherfucker, asshole, and a son of a bitch.
It's one of those multipurpose words.  :grin:

Other ways to use the word:
Encabronado
An angry man.

Encabronar
To get very angry or annoyed.

Está cabron.
It's fucked up.
Or
It's difficult.

Estás cabron.
You're a sly or cunning man.

And a new word by Dark Lightning: Cabrona Virus.
:lol:

:sad sigh:
It's 1:54 AM.
I can't sleep.

Tomorrow, well, today is my man's birthday. We've been celebrating since the 18th. What else can we do?  :shrug:

I'm making camarones a la diabla tomorrow...today...
:visit morpheus:

Goodnight

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on April 21, 2020, 02:21:58 AM

is there anything that you haven't been at some time or another?

im wondering how many of you there really are

and i didn't know abou tthese

shades of sunbeam

set the function, not the mechanism.