News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on April 14, 2020, 01:21:51 AM
Planning my work day at 2 AM. There is this establishing new network project I've been trying and failing to do for months now. Low service availability area and what have you. But, as Samuel Beckett put it;

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

...And so I shall.

2 AM? :watching: I don't know how you do it. Last time I pulled an all-nighter was about 5 years ago, when I used to be a night owl.  And it wasn't for the lack of trying either. I tried to stay awake all night last week (because it's quieter so I could get some work done) and didn't make it past 02:30 AM. ::) 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

When my mind is overly busy problem-solving, I can't sleep. In such cases, I tend to give up and just... Work. There really is no deeper secret to it, but I expect I'll be pretty useless towards the end of my regular work day because of it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on April 14, 2020, 12:28:43 AM
Next time I am in Australia I will carefully avoid Drop bears.  I had always assumed that they were cuddly little critters who eat tree leaves.

:lol: It's all about the stealth.

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2020, 11:57:13 PM
I walked a few blocks today wearing my homemade face mask to go to the bank and supermarket, just after noon when the sun high and the heat was at its most intense. It was the first time I went outside with my mask. I knew more or less what to expect -- I frequently use face masks in the air-conditioned lab -- but outside it's a whole different experience.

Damn hot breathing trapped hot air under the scorching sun.

By the time I got to the supermarket my hair was matted against my sweaty forehead (I had given up trying to remove the stray locks with my shoulder) and all I could hear was myself breathing inside that god awful mask. I wondered if it sounded like that to the people around me. There was a pebble in my shoe which really added to the grumpy mood. 

I must have looked like a feverish zombie myself, sweaty and half-limping my way through the aisles, picking up groceries and tossing them into my cart while sounding like freaking Darth Vader.

Needless to say some people looked a little frightened and made way for me when I got too close. :blue tear:

see i can't tell which are your weird dreams and which are just your weird life.

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

:lol: billy rubin, sometimes neither can I! :P

Asmodean

The Asmo's dreams are the opposite of weird. Luxembourg in flames, or the mountain on which it sits turning into a volcano, with much the same outcome, or the Sun going red giant... with much the same outcome...

What's weird about it? Tell Him that! :nu-uh:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2020, 11:57:13 PM
I walked a few blocks today wearing my homemade face mask to go to the bank and supermarket, just after noon when the sun high and the heat was at its most intense. It was the first time I went outside with my mask. I knew more or less what to expect -- I frequently use face masks in the air-conditioned lab -- but outside it's a whole different experience.

Damn hot breathing trapped hot air under the scorching sun.

By the time I got to the supermarket my hair was matted against my sweaty forehead (I had given up trying to remove the stray locks with my shoulder) and all I could hear was myself breathing inside that god awful mask. I wondered if it sounded like that to the people around me. There was a pebble in my shoe which really added to the grumpy mood. 

I must have looked like a feverish zombie myself, sweaty and half-limping my way through the aisles, picking up groceries and tossing them into my cart while sounding like freaking Darth Vader.

Needless to say some people looked a little frightened and made way for me when I got too close. :blue tear:

Wearing a mask makes me feel sick - like I'm breathing my own exhaust.  I can't stand it.

Also, looking scary has it's advantages - people won't mess with you.

xSilverPhinx

Nothing weird about those, Your Greyness. :worried:

xSilverPhinx

Bruce, yeah I know what you mean. There was definitely an excess of carbon dioxide feeling going on there. Not pleasant at all.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2020, 01:53:13 PM
Bruce, yeah I know what you mean. There was definitely an excess of carbon dioxide feeling going on there. Not pleasant at all.

I splurged on one of those masks with an air filter -- at least, I ordered it, it's supposed to arrive next week.  I'm hoping it'll be worth the price because, yeah, my homemade mask makes me a little woozy after a while.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

I've been binge-watching the old, b&w Perry Mason series, and only just found that William Hopper (who plays Paul Drake) was Hedda Hopper's son.  For some reason this is blowing my mind.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 15, 2020, 02:56:26 AM
I've been binge-watching the old, b&w Perry Mason series, and only just found that William Hopper (who plays Paul Drake) was Hedda Hopper's son.  For some reason this is blowing my mind.

:grin: It's weird when we learn of these associations, isn't it? Just the other day I learnt the younger brother of the "father of American psychology" William James (who had a lot to say about memory, even if outdated now) was none other than the novelist Henry James. What a prominent family...It blew my mind as well.  8)

Biggus Dickus

Word problem of the day: Trying to figure out if there is any real definitional difference between "equal" and "coequal."

Does this sound correct? Equal—> same value; Coequal—>same level of importance

:P

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Asmodean

Equal is a matter of magnitude or quantity. Coequal is a matter of mutual equality (social) or mutual sameness. I suppose the latter is often, if not always, a special case (or subset) of the former. EDIT: messed up the former/latter order. Fixed. A shot of tar and a shot of bourbon may be equal quantities of fluid, but drinking one is not coequal to drinking the other.

Don't take my word blindly though - this understanding hangs on the butt-hairs of my intuition, and so the fact that I would have used these words thusly... Well... There are better sources when it comes to the very fine points of English.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Asmodean on April 16, 2020, 09:55:46 PM
Equal is a matter of magnitude or quantity. Coequal is a matter of mutual equality (social) or mutual sameness. I suppose the latter is often, if not always, a special case (or subset) of the former. EDIT: messed up the former/latter order. Fixed. A shot of tar and a shot of bourbon may be equal quantities of fluid, but drinking one is not coequal to drinking the other.

Don't take my word blindly though - this understanding hangs on the butt-hairs of my intuition, and so the fact that I would have used these words thusly... Well... There are better sources when it comes to the very fine points of English.

Your explanation is good, thanks...So coequal implies having equal status within different systems, while equal implies having equal status within one system, right?

For example: The legislative branch is not equal to the executive branch because they have different duties, responsibilities, and structures. However. They are coequal because one is not more important than the other, and they also have checks and balances.

This makes sense to me now. Earlier I had to really think about it, and the Webster definitions just made it worse.

Now my head hurts.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."