News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 30, 2018, 09:12:46 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 02:44:05 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 30, 2018, 02:28:00 PM
... I've really been missing my Mt. Dew.

Do you drink coffee? That might help with the withdrawal symptoms, if you have any (headaches, etc).

The caffeine isn't what's getting me but even if it was I think I'd choose death before coffee. Vile, nasty stuff. It does small lovely though.

:unsure: Ok, so coffee's off the list.

Diet Mt. Dew? 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I'm allergic to bullshit. Which is why I now stay far, far away from political discussions. The reaction takes the form of getting very worked up and angry about things I have no control over, followed by deep despair.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 31, 2018, 02:37:45 PM

Do you drink coffee? That might help with the withdrawal symptoms, if you have any (headaches, etc).

The caffeine isn't what's getting me but even if it was I think I'd choose death before coffee. Vile, nasty stuff. It does small lovely though.

Diet Mt. Dew?

:puke:

Diet anything is disgusting. And at any rate, it's more the taste than the caffeine I like. Mt. Dew is one of those things that I find very satisfying but, like bourbon, I know I have to stay away from. I have very strange tastes. When I stopped drinking liquor I tried really hard to find a nonalcoholic bourbon.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 31, 2018, 02:42:18 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 31, 2018, 02:37:45 PM

Diet Mt. Dew?

:puke:

Diet anything is disgusting. And at any rate, it's more the taste than the caffeine I like. Mt. Dew is one of those things that I find very satisfying but, like bourbon, I know I have to stay away from. I have very strange tastes. When I stopped drinking liquor I tried really hard to find a nonalcoholic bourbon.
It's an acquired taste, I think, drinking diet soft drinks. Though it does take some time to get used to. And yes, some of them are a little like drinking cough syrup. ::)

jumbojak

You know what's even worse than diet soda? These new "throwback" sodas made with white sugar. Once you grow accustomed to hfcs white sugar is quite unpalatable. I tried a throwback Mt. Dew when they first came out and immediately wanted to throw it back!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 31, 2018, 02:49:04 PM
You know what's even worse than diet soda? These new "throwback" sodas made with white sugar. Once you grow accustomed to hfcs white sugar is quite unpalatable. I tried a throwback Mt. Dew when they first came out and immediately wanted to throw it back!

'Throwback' sodas have not yet invaded Brazil, as far as I know. We do have a new version of coca cola made with the sugar substitute stevia which tastes bad...just so bad...there's just no way somebody out there likes that stuff.  :headshake: 

Dave

I rarely drink anything fuzzy, and am supposed to stay clear of cafeine, but I do like Diet Coke. I am genetically unable to taste the Aspartame sweetner in it so, for me, it has a refreshing bitter tang. Seems there us a sucralose version out now - I will steer clear of that, prefer the bitterness.

I do drink Indian tonic water, also bitter to the taste, but only when diluted with gin and with a slice of lemon or (better) lime..
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 31, 2018, 03:17:12 PM
I rarely dtink anything fuzzy, and am supposed to stay clear of cafeine, but I do like Diet Coke. I am genetically unable to taste the Aspartame sweetner in it so, for me, it has a refreshing bitter tang. Seems there us a sucralose version out now - I will steer clear of that, prefer the bitterness.

I do drink Indian tonic water, also bitter to the taste, but only when diluted with gin and with a slice of lemon or (better) lime..

I also like Diet Coke (used to prefer Diet Pepsi but after they changed the sweetener...bleh). Diet Pepsi Twist is my favourite. :smilenod:

Icarus

^ Is it common practice to label Brazilian consumer products with English words?  :notsure:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 31, 2018, 08:22:33 PM
  ^ Is it common practice to label Brazilian consumer products with English words?  :notsure:

Not common ('zero' is also zero in Portuguese, though 'twist' is not), but every now and then you have someone who names their business using English words, which can result in some brand names such as:

(literal word for word translation)

The English version looks weird to me...does it look weird to you? It looks like it's lacking something...China in box something?

Dave

Even just an "a" would help, but it'd have to be s damn big bix!

Is "China in a box" anything to do with Chinese inspired foods?

The Chinese themselves are great at literal transliterations to English that lose relevance but gain in hilarity!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Yes, I thought it would have to be either that, "China in a box" or "China in box something". It is a Chinese fast food chain. Probably "China in boxes" considering people probably don't order just one box. ::)

Another funny word that got adopted in Brazilian Portuguese (don't know about the Portuguese, it seems to me like they're more puristic in general than Brazilians when it comes to the language) is shopping. The word has basically become a noun as people have dropped the 'mall' or 'center' which should follow.

So if you ever come across a Brazilian asking for directions to the closest shopping don't let it confuse you. :P

Quote from: Dave on March 31, 2018, 09:01:28 PM

:rofl: Ow, my sides!

xSilverPhinx

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 01, 2018, 02:42:08 PM

The good old post-fact era, in which we all live and for which God Emperor The Big T gets blamed...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Harmonie

The fact that I was in the bathroom and there was a SPIDER on the toilet paper roll! Once you know that can actually happen, it never leaves your mind.  :chairhide:

It doesn't help that if I hadn't been paying attention and hadn't caught that it was there, I might not be here anymore. But that might have been for the best, to save me from the Hell that is the end of a Spring semester.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony