News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

One good thing is that different people have different taste and preferences, which makes the world much more interesting. That is why one finds galleries that concentrate on particular schools and periods. Also, it is not surprising that Pierre's works look like the end product of some people's art. However, the end product (painting, sculpture, etc.) is just that: an end product that results from the act of artistic creation.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 02, 2017, 05:29:28 PM
One good thing is that different people have different taste and preferences, which makes the world much more interesting. That is why one finds galleries that concentrate on particular schools and periods. Also, it is not surprising that Pierre's works look like the end product of some people's art. However, the end product (painting, sculpture, etc.) is just that: an end product that results from the act of artistic creation.

Hmm, "act of artistic creation"... is that sometimes a euphemism for "psychiatric event?

:grin:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 02, 2017, 06:00:01 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 02, 2017, 05:29:28 PM

Hmm, "act of artistic creation"... is that sometimes a euphemism for "psychiatric event?

:grin:

Ha, yes. Look at van Gogh, and in music, Robert Schumann. Not the stablest of people.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Essie Mae

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 02, 2017, 01:09:04 PM
Been a bit of a tough week.

Last weekend we went back to my old hometown to visit my grandmother and to take in the Air Base aniversary air show.

The trouble began on Sunday as we were getting ready to go home. My grandmother started fussing over her bank card code and how she had trouble remembering it. After harping on about that for the better part of an hour she started getting unsteady on her feet and going incoherent. Me and my dad relized she was probably having a stroke and called an ambulance.
Turns out she didn't have a stroke, but a pretty severe brain hemmorage. Now a week late she can't speak coherently, is still paralyzed in her left side and apparently can't recognize people.
Don't know how this ends, but no realistic possibility is good.

That's horrible news Guardian. Very sorry to hear it.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 02, 2017, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 02, 2017, 04:54:43 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on July 01, 2017, 11:31:19 PM
Went to he BP Portrait Award exhibition at the National Portait Gallery this week and Mr M liked the ones that look so like photographs that it's hard to tell the difference. Much as I admire the artistry, I do find them a bit creepy. I like the slightly more impressionistic ones.  There was one that had a face shape but no features; just a few brush strokes which I thought was awful. Can any of you artists out there explain to me what the criteria might be for being chosen out of the thousands of entries to the final 53 that made it?

From my untutored observations if the "fine art" world there is little rhyme or reason for their choices. I once watched a prog with George Melly, the famous jazz singer (who sounded like a drain being force cleaned,) and some old bird who smoked cigars discussing art in a most pretentious and supercilious way. Utter BS to me!

Some I can underdtand but a lot just goes over my head. As you imply, Essie, whilst being impressed with the technical skill the "art" content often seems elusive.

Have you ever heard of avant-garde painter who goes by the name of Pierre Brassau?

One art critic said of his work:

QuotePierre Brassau paints with powerful strokes, but also with clear determination. His brush strokes twist with furious fastidiousness. Pierre is an artist who performs with the delicacy of a ballet dancer.

Pierre Brassau :snicker:

I too remembered the incident but not the name. Maybe the 🐒 was representing his reality using shape, colour and texture etc😀😀😀

Essie Mae

Quote from: Gloucester on July 02, 2017, 04:54:43 AM
Went to he BP Portrait Award exhibition at the National Portait Gallery this week and Mr M liked the ones that look so like photographs that it's hard to tell the difference. Much as I admire the artistry, I do find them a bit creepy. I like the slightly more impressionistic ones.  There was one that had a face shape but no features; just a few brush strokes which I thought was awful. Can any of you artists out there explain to me what the criteria might be for being chosen out of the thousands of entries to the final 53 that made it?

From my untutored observations if the "fine art" world there is little rhyme or reason for their choices. I once watched a prog with George Melly, the famous jazz singer (who sounded like a drain being force cleaned,) and some old bird who smoked cigars discussing art in a most pretentious and supercilious way. Utter BS to me!

Some I can underdtand but a lot just goes over my head. As you imply, Essie, whilst being impressed with the technical skill the "art" content often seems elusive.

Agreed. The BS is worse than the paintings.

Arturo

Last weekend we went back to my old hometown to visit my grandmother and to take in the Air Base aniversary air show.

The trouble began on Sunday as we were getting ready to go home. My grandmother started fussing over her bank card code and how she had trouble remembering it. After harping on about that for the better part of an hour she started getting unsteady on her feet and going incoherent. Me and my dad relized she was probably having a stroke and called an ambulance.
Turns out she didn't have a stroke, but a pretty severe brain hemmorage. Now a week late she can't speak coherently, is still paralyzed in her left side and apparently can't recognize people.

Feel sorry for your grandmother gurad. You'll be ok.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Very sorry to hear this G85. I hope it goes as well as it can.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Claireliontamer

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother :(

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 01, 2017, 10:51:13 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 30, 2017, 12:59:25 PM
I have to get the train down to London this evening for a work meeting tomorrow.  I usually look forward to going but it's going to be so rushed this year that I don't want to go.

Hope it was better than you were expecting. Going into London always cheers me up.

The whole weekend was a bit of a travel nightmare TBH.  Apologies to those on my FB you've already heard me moan!  My train down to London didn't actually get there until about 1:30am as there was an attempted suicide from one of the rail bridges which meant we were stuck in Nuneaton for about 4-hours.  I had to be up for my work meeting early the next morning so by the time I got checked in at my hotel I didn't have much sleep. 

Then on the way back, Virgin trains cancelled a lot of the northern services, blaming a lack of drivers.  It meant when a train finally did run there was about 4 trains worth of people trying to cram onto one train and again I didn't get home till nearly midnight. 

A very tiring weekend and I didn't get to see much of London at all.  The only upside was a very nice free lunch!

Claireliontamer

It's only really since I started trying to get into painting myself that I started appreciating a wider range of artistic styles.

Personally I'm not a fan of the photorealism type of work as I want art to be something more than just a good representation of what someone can see.  With a lot of time and practice anyone can learn to paint but I think fewer people have that creative ability to push boundaries or produce pieces of art that really make people stop and think.

Even though you thought the ones that were reduced to a few simple lines were awful, they have still left a lasting impression on you and they are possibly the ones you'd talk about the most to people.  I don't think art should simply be about what people like or don't like, if that makes any sense?

hermes2015

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 03, 2017, 10:49:49 AM
Personally I'm not a fan of the photorealism type of work as I want art to be something more than just a good representation of what someone can see.

Me too, that's why we have cameras. It did make sense in Renaissance painting, though, before cameras. I also must say I like the work of Chuck Close, especially his pixellated portraits.
― Charles Eames

Claireliontamer

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 03, 2017, 12:26:14 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 03, 2017, 10:49:49 AM
Personally I'm not a fan of the photorealism type of work as I want art to be something more than just a good representation of what someone can see.

Me too, that's why we have cameras. It did make sense in Renaissance painting, though, before cameras. I also must say I like the work of Chuck Close, especially his pixellated portraits.

I can appreciate the technical skill and level of observation but like you say it seems a little redundant now we have cameras.  I have never heard of Chuck Close so will have to look him up.

Magdalena

By the way...
My blood test results:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Firebird

Nice,  Mags! Glad to hear!
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"