News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

^
But, Icarus, I would wager there are those macho types who would hunt the serpent for 50c!

I do remember, back in the 50s when bananas came as full stalks, packed in straw, in "rifle boxes" with hand holes in the sides. Helping my friend's greengrocer father unpacking those was a job for rubber gloves, elastic bands round jacket cuffs abd screw-top jars - that was our job, catch any beastie before it hid. And beasties there were! London Zoo had a van that came round to pick up these visitors when they were phoned up. Must have done a lot of mileage!

It was they who also took away the very poorly baby alligator found in a crate of Floridan oranges. But not poorly enough to miss biting the father's finger! Probably needed the protein. He was still in the reptile house about ten years later.

Who would have thought being a greengrocer and fruitier could be so adventurous a trade? All very sterile and safe these days...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on June 06, 2017, 06:32:42 PM
I believe that spiders are actually venomous.

Correct you are!  :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on June 06, 2017, 07:01:16 PM
But, "giant"? 1cm? 10mm? 0.01m?

Strangely I understand what you say, though I must admit to disliking 99.9% of the arachnid species some, like the little hunting spiders (maybe 5mm or less, black and white speckles, though some tropical ones are like little peacocks) I find fascinating as they skitter about very fast.

Its the big momma "house spiders"  that used to bother me. Maybe up to 25mm legspan, they are also hunters and "hear" through their legs. So, when you move your foot to get up and find the glass and postcard they "hear" the vibration, work out the direction spin and sometimes run towards you! One night I had five trapped under glass waiting to be evicted, bloody swarm of them!

Many years ago I lived in a bedsit above a shop. On the floor below was a woman I really fancied. 1am one morning, gentle tap on the door awoke me. It was my gorgeous neighbour in a dressing gown... " 'Allo, me luck's in," thought I!

But no such luck, she had been staring, terrified, at a huge momma house spider, in her room,for three hours before getting the courage to seek help.  I astounded myself, I just grabbed the beastie in my hand, gently, took it down stairs and deposited it in a hedge.

Marvelous what the need of a little chivalry to a female will do to drive male courage to new heights! Thus is the legend of St Gloucester and the Spider, another damsel saved from distress...

I like spiders and other arachnids, though at a certain distance. :grin:

Tell me, how would St Gloucester fare against a horde of creepy crawlies?  :sidesmile:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Recusant.
Is it me, or has he been quiet lately?  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 07, 2017, 12:15:04 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 06, 2017, 07:01:16 PM
But, "giant"? 1cm? 10mm? 0.01m?

Strangely I understand what you say, though I must admit to disliking 99.9% of the arachnid species . . .
[.. .]
Marvelous what the need of a little chivalry to a female will do to drive male courage to new heights! Thus is the legend of St Gloucester and the Spider, another damsel saved from distress...

I like spiders and other arachnids, though at a certain distance. :grin:

Tell me, how would St Gloucester fare against a horde of creepy crawlies?  :sidesmile:

Harvestmen are one of the ones that bothers St Gloucester not a lot, though he has not met then in that quantity. Not nesrly enough goblets in the castle for that problem!

Arturo

Kinda lonely, again. Makes me want to go back to an old love interest that never worked out. She made it clear she hates me. And she did get over it though but now she does drugs and doesn't keep up with me despite my attempts to. And drugs are a no go for me.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on June 07, 2017, 11:17:36 AM
Kinda lonely, again. Makes me want to go back to an old love interest that never worked out. She made it clear she hates me. And she did get over it though but now she does drugs and doesn't keep up with me despite my attempts to. And drugs are a no go for me.
:therethere:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

I was just thinking, Crow retired, 6/6/2016. Today is 6/7/2017.  :sad sigh:
~That's all.

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on June 07, 2017, 06:41:16 PM
~That's all.
It's a shame he went. But he was a big boy and made a choice. It's the nature of forums that people come and go. There is nothing stopping him coming back except his choice to remain gone. You could always ask him back, just as I did you. I'd ask but he never gave me his contact details directly and although I can see his email address in his account profile it's not public so I can't abuse my access and contact him.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

~That's all.
Hrm...
6/6/2016...

2016/6/6...

6/6/6...

I bet that means that Crow misses us too. Well, everyone but me. :lol:
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on June 07, 2017, 07:39:53 PM
~That's all.
It's a shame he went. But he was a big boy and made a choice. It's the nature of forums that people come and go. There is nothing stopping him coming back except his choice to remain gone. You could always ask him back, just as I did you. I'd ask but he never gave me his contact details directly and although I can see his email address in his account profile it's not public so I can't abuse my access and contact him.
QuoteIt's the nature of forums that people come and go.
Yes, I seem to be having a difficult time with this.  :(

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on June 07, 2017, 07:58:48 PM
~That's all.
Hrm...
6/6/2016...

2016/6/6...

6/6/6...

King of the bottomless pit! Son of perdition! Wicked one! Lawless one!
...etc., etc., etc.
Maybe that's why I want him to come back.  :sad sigh:

OldGit

UK General Election today.  Wish us luck!

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on June 08, 2017, 09:39:20 AM

Yeah, now, which bunch are going to do Britain the least damage? Still can't make up my mind.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: OldGit on June 08, 2017, 09:39:20 AM

Yes good luck, hope it turns out better for you folks in the UK than it did for us chumps here in the US...have to admit I find your elections a bit hard to follow, been reading up on it this morning over coffee.

This general information is somewhat helpful.
General election 2017: Manifesto guide on where the parties stand

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."