News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

JJ mentioned he'd been popping in which made me curious enough to pop in too. I hope everyone is well :)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 07, 2017, 01:10:15 PM
JJ mentioned he'd been popping in which made me curious enough to pop in too. I hope everyone is well :)

Hello Claire! :hey:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Hi, Claire.  :computerwave:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 07, 2017, 02:48:27 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 03, 2017, 07:15:27 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 03, 2017, 06:41:13 PM
Wow indeed, a very highly qualified brake technician! Or dies he actually design the stoppy bits! They are only gojng to employ those really capable in that sport.

After seeing some IR images of racing car brakes on a test rig I can see where his high temp expertise might be handy!

Not a bad idea to grab the money and get the worldly experience whilst you can, gaining technical experience at the same time - sounds like win-win-win to me.
Apparently the art of the breaking game is cooling. The carbon disks have a narrow effective temperature window. Andrew spends a lot of time on computer models of the break inlet and exit ducts shaping them to suit each track. It has to be a compromise between under cooling on the twisty bits an over cooling on long straights. The last thing you want is a car arriving at full speed down a 1/2 mile straight into a hair pin and finding the breaks are so cold they don't work!

Do they do anything to get them up to operating temperature before the race? I'm picturing power braking in a fashion similar to drag slick burnouts or a mechanic with a torch, like Smokey Yunick heating his oil can in the pits.
They'll heel & toe the break and accelerator (break while accelerating) to get them up to temperature on the start line. If the start is delayed this is one of the reasons they do another parade lap.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Yes thanks :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Hi Claire, glad to hear from you once again. I hope that all is well with you.

Magdalena

Hello, Claireliontamer, it's nice to hear from you, again.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Hello "Claire the "LionTamer", nice to hear from you...

So I spent a long weekend visiting with my daughter and son-in-law in northern Michigan over the past weekend. Weather was near perfect, though too chilly to swim.

We were already able to eat some of the lettuce and spinach they have growing in their greenhouse; we also spent some time thinning out a variety of other vegetables into trays in preparation for planting outside once the threat of freezing is past, maybe 3 weeks.
I did like 5 trays on my own, these included brussel sprouts, bush beans, snap peas, dino-kale, swiss chard, carrots, beets and peppers.

They also received their new piglets for the season just the day before I arrived...here's a picture of them in their pen along with some food we spread out for them. They are only about 4 week's old, and are a bit skittish...every time we would get close to the pen they would run under the trees, but they should fatten up quickly.

Picture of their bee hives, from which we get "yummy honey".

Anyway it's good to be back, but there's been an implosion within my regular work so this could be a very long week :(
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dragonia

Oh Father Bruno, I think I would love your daughters place! Lots of bees, big greenhouse, pigs.... who knows what all else, I would have a good time there!  :frolic:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dragonia on May 10, 2017, 02:15:02 PM
Oh Father Bruno, I think I would love your daughters place! Lots of bees, big greenhouse, pigs.... who knows what all else, I would have a good time there!  :frolic:

Thanks, Dragonia...it is a very lovely and secluded place, and I always enjoy my time there. Very peaceful and quite, but if you come be prepared to work.

Saturday morning we were having breakfast when my daughter brought out her notebook and started going over the details and plans for a good portion of the day, which was all work from what I could tell. I jokingly told her I would be down by the lake reading if she needed me, and she simply laughed and asked me if I needed gloves, and would I mind staring off weeding and transplanting in the main garden plot prior to us working in the greenhouse.

I asked how much I would get paid and she laughed again and said she had just fed me breakfast, so I "Owed Her". (Even though I'm the one who prepared the food that morning) ;D

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dragonia

Quote from: Father Bruno on May 10, 2017, 02:49:13 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on May 10, 2017, 02:15:02 PM

Thanks, Dragonia...it is a very lovely and secluded place, and I always enjoy my time there. Very peaceful and quite, but if you come be prepared to work.

Saturday morning we were having breakfast when my daughter brought out her notebook and started going over the details and plans for a good portion of the day, which was all work from what I could tell. I jokingly told her I would be down by the lake reading if she needed me, and she simply laughed and asked me if I needed gloves, and would I mind staring off weeding and transplanting in the main garden plot prior to us working in the greenhouse.

I asked how much I would get paid and she laughed again and said she had just fed me breakfast, so I "Owed Her". (Even though I'm the one who prepared the food that morning) ;D

She sounds great,  she could boss me around a little. Weeding a garden is absolute mental therapy for me... I can get so lost in time, tackling weeds. I can also get lost in the poison ivy, as evidenced by my poor messed up arms. But I do love any yard/garden work ;D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Icarus

Dragonia, I just read on the label of my Hydrocortisone package that it is good for poison ivy, oak, and other evil shit.  Well it did not actually use the word shit.  I bought some of the hydrocortison at the family Dollar Tree store. Cost me one dollar. I have used it as a remedy for itching in an unmentionable place of my ancient anatomy. It is worth a dollar to try it for your miserable  poison ivy..

Arturo

My Uncle went to jail today and now my cousin is staying with me.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on May 12, 2017, 04:34:12 AM
My Uncle went to jail today and now my cousin is staying with me.
:therethere:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant