News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Just back from the hospital again. It appears it is not ulcers, but his gallbladder. The doctors say it needs to come out, but my husband needs to be off his blood thinner for at least five days before surgery. If he hadn't thrown up this morning, he could have been home this afternoon. Now, they want to observe him for another 24 hours.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on September 26, 2016, 09:10:43 PM
Just back from the hospital again. It appears it is not ulcers, but his gallbladder. The doctors say it needs to come out, but my husband needs to be off his blood thinner for at least five days before surgery. If he hadn't thrown up this morning, he could have been home this afternoon. Now, they want to observe him for another 24 hours.
Pretty routine op. I know a few people who are quite happy without their gall bladders.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on September 26, 2016, 09:37:52 PM
Pretty routine op. I know a few people who are quite happy without their gall bladders.

A friend of mine had hers out recently and, while recovery wasn't pleasant, once she had recovered she felt so much better that she wished she'd had the surgery years ago.  Granted ulcers would probably be easier to deal with tho and any time in the hospital is not a good time.  My sympathies to your husband.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pasta Chick

Gall bladders and spleens are pretty much universally evil. :(

I recently learned that one of my coworkers once accidentally told Jordon Knight he had the right stuff, which is probably the greatest faux paus I've ever heard in my life.

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 26, 2016, 10:32:52 PM

A friend of mine had hers out recently and, while recovery wasn't pleasant, once she had recovered she felt so much better that she wished she'd had the surgery years ago.  Granted ulcers would probably be easier to deal with tho and any time in the hospital is not a good time.  My sympathies to your husband.
Thank you.

I had my gallbladder removed years ago. I was in the hospital for a couple of days. Recovery wasn't fun (you really don't realize how many of your abdominal muscles you use to sit up, stand up, or just move around in general). However, I did feel better once I had healed a bit.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on September 27, 2016, 03:49:20 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 26, 2016, 10:32:52 PM

Thank you.

I had my gallbladder removed years ago. I was in the hospital for a couple of days. Recovery wasn't fun (you really don't realize how many of your abdominal muscles you use to sit up, stand up, or just move around in general). However, I did feel better once I had healed a bit.
They do it keyhole now. No real problems I believe.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Is what they say about the female mantis' mating ritual a myth, or reality?  :eh: I ask because I found a happy mantis just hanging on to the wall the other day, but the next day I saw it it didn't have its head.  :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

The female mantis thing is mostly a myth.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis1.asp
QuoteThe behavior [the females eating their mates] appeared to be influenced by captivity: Female mantises were either jarred into unusually aggressive behavior by the unusual laboratory conditions, or they were simply not fed enough by their keepers.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on September 27, 2016, 07:57:09 PM
The female mantis thing is mostly a myth.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis1.asp
QuoteThe behavior [the females eating their mates] appeared to be influenced by captivity: Female mantises were either jarred into unusually aggressive behavior by the unusual laboratory conditions, or they were simply not fed enough by their keepers.

But it also says:
QuoteYes, the female praying mantis does sometimes eat her mate. In fact, male mantises will often offer themselves up as food to the female during the mating process, and from a biological standpoint this action makes sense: There's no point to mating with a female who might die from a lack of food before she can lay her eggs and pass the father's genes onto the next generation. This doesn't happen all the time, however, and its frequency of occurrence and the reasons for it are still a subject a debate within the entomological world.

I love the joke: 

That's exactly what the matis I saw looked like. :lol: 
...and that's exactly what I thought when I saw it. :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Velma

My husband we released from the hospital today. The doctor at the hospital he was in wants to do the surgery next week. The VA will probably want he to see one of its doctors. No telling at the moment how long that will take.

Firebird

I'm officially taking a break from HAF. I thought it would be best to announce it rather than just vanish and make you all wonder, though I've been here less and less anyway. I'm sure many of you expected that anyway (ahem...Mags :) ) Firechicklet is not here yet, but there's lots to prepare for, and now that my wife will be at full term tomorrow, she'll be here anytime within the next month or so. Despite complaining about how tired she is and how big she looks, Mrs. Firebird's doing great and we're looking forward to meeting the little bugger very soon.
I might lurk a bit here and there, and I'll be back sometime soon. Take care and save me a few drinks.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

Take care, Firebird.  Come back soon.

Magdalena

Quote from: Firebird on September 28, 2016, 03:40:44 AM
I'm officially taking a break from HAF. I thought it would be best to announce it rather than just vanish and make you all wonder, though I've been here less and less anyway. I'm sure many of you expected that anyway (ahem...Mags :) ) Firechicklet is not here yet, but there's lots to prepare for, and now that my wife will be at full term tomorrow, she'll be here anytime within the next month or so. Despite complaining about how tired she is and how big she looks, Mrs. Firebird's doing great and we're looking forward to meeting the little bugger very soon.
I might lurk a bit here and there, and I'll be back sometime soon. Take care and save me a few drinks.
Awwwwww....Firebird. This is such a bitter/sweet thing.  :weepy:
You're leaving for a while, but you're gonna be a father for the first time...Wow! How exciting!  :hug:

Enjoy your time away from us, we'll be here when you come back. I think we'll be OK.  :notsure:
Looking forward to seeing pictures of Firechicklet:)

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Quote from: Firebird on September 28, 2016, 03:40:44 AM
I'm officially taking a break from HAF. . . .

Cheers, Firebird. I can't think of a better reason why somebody would step away for a while! All the best.  :thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken