News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on July 20, 2016, 04:58:10 AM
Just saw an "authority" on the Science Channel tell all us hoi polloi about this interesting phenomenon called frisson (click the little speaker button next to the word to hear it). OK, that's fine--it doesn't hurt for people to expand their vocabularies. Except this clown repeatedly pronounced it "frizzion." He clearly had never heard of the word let alone having heard it before, and apparently nobody involved in creating the little infoblurb had either. You'd think you'd go to the trouble of finding out how to pronounce this word that you've just learned, and are preparing to tell the public about.  :headshake:

I can only recall it pronounced the way it is spelt, If I read it I'd imagine it that way.
I prefer it that way, I think it sounds more like what it means that way.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 20, 2016, 10:11:31 AM
Quote from: Recusant on July 20, 2016, 04:58:10 AM
Just saw an "authority" on the Science Channel tell all us hoi polloi about this interesting phenomenon called frisson (click the little speaker button next to the word to hear it). OK, that's fine--it doesn't hurt for people to expand their vocabularies. Except this clown repeatedly pronounced it "frizzion." He clearly had never heard of the word let alone having heard it before, and apparently nobody involved in creating the little infoblurb had either. You'd think you'd go to the trouble of finding out how to pronounce this word that you've just learned, and are preparing to tell the public about.  :headshake:

I can only recall it pronounced the way it is spelt, If I read it I'd imagine it that way.
I prefer it that way, I think it sounds more like what it means that way.

Another one of those French words that came into English without suffering a pronunciation change to an Anglo-Saxon form. Though, strictly, that would be "fris-son".

I have heard it pronounced "freeze-on" and the more English "friss-on".

Bit like (as said) "onvelope" v "envelope", is one right and 'tother wrong?

"Frizzion" is just plain wrong though.

Pronunciation is fascinating, have you heard people pronounce "wh" at the start of words like "wheel" as "hw"?

Are they wrong? Not if you consider these, mostly, Anglo-Saxon words were spelt the second way originally:

Whale from hwael
Wheel from hweol
Where from hwaer
etc.

Though it is considered an affectation of poshness by most people.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

I have an itchy ankle, bloody leeches.
A leech latches on and I itch for week.
Assaulted  me, tried to get away, I salted him.
Don't like ticks, I've been atticked many times.
Mosquitoes, it's mid winter, why not migrate?
Mosies and ticks, itch and wonder about disease.
Oh ants, I squash them, I am of course anti ant.

Asmodean

The Asmo recommends vast clouds of insecticide. Surround yourself with those and just like that, you are nearly itch-free.  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Recusants frisson led to a link that can be fun when you have run out of things to do. http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-games/vocabulary-quiz

Dave

Got 9/10, last one got me, never seen the word before and could not derive etymology.

Summat up with the scoring though, I was pretty close to the top for the 70s age group, 2720 out of 2733, but the graph had me at 3000+.

Used to like the vocabulary game in the Readers' Digest - same format.

Velma

Despite the fact the autoimmune disease that is trying to kill my joints has gone into a full flare, my orthopedist says my recovery from knee replacement surgery is going very well. Both he and my physical therapist are pleased with my progress.

Now I'm just waiting to see the rheumatologist so we can get the autoimmune disease under control again so I won't be hurting so much all the time. I see her on the 29th. I tried to get my appointment moved up, but the only opening they had was on the 28th. It was not worth all the hassle of rearranging things to get in a day earlier. This is my new rheumatologist, so it will be the first time I've seen her. My previous rheumatologist retired.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Here's hoping your new dictor will find you some relief, Velma.

From a friend's suffering I know that my bursitis and, even, gout are less of a problem than full blown arthritis, but it does give me an insight into your pain

:therethere:.

Velma

Quote from: Gloucester on July 21, 2016, 09:11:15 AM
Here's hoping your new dictor will find you some relief, Velma.

From a friend's suffering I know that my bursitis and, even, gout are less of a problem than full blown arthritis, but it does give me an insight into your pain

:therethere:.
Thank you. I hope you feel better soon also.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on July 21, 2016, 08:35:31 AM
Despite the fact the autoimmune disease that is trying to kill my joints has gone into a full flare, my orthopedist says my recovery from knee replacement surgery is going very well. Both he and my physical therapist are pleased with my progress.

Now I'm just waiting to see the rheumatologist so we can get the autoimmune disease under control again so I won't be hurting so much all the time. I see her on the 29th. I tried to get my appointment moved up, but the only opening they had was on the 28th. It was not worth all the hassle of rearranging things to get in a day earlier. This is my new rheumatologist, so it will be the first time I've seen her. My previous rheumatologist retired.

Wow, it's just one step forward, two steps back some times isn't it?  Good luck with the new doctor.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 21, 2016, 09:46:56 AM

Wow, it's just one step forward, two steps back some times isn't it?  Good luck with the new doctor.
There are times it feels that way.

Thank you. I hate breaking in a new doctor. Even better, this one has only been in practice since last year. Although, it is entirely possible she still has that new doctor shine.  :D I am glad that I do have the option of asking to see a different doctor in the group if she doesn't work out.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Velma on July 21, 2016, 07:38:15 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 21, 2016, 09:46:56 AM

There are times it feels that way.

Thank you. I hate breaking in a new doctor. Even better, this one has only been in practice since last year. Although, it is entirely possible she still has that new doctor shine.  :D I am glad that I do have the option of asking to see a different doctor in the group if she doesn't work out.
A bit of a roller coaster for you Velma. Hope you're on the up again soon.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Bad Penny II

You two have been busy.
You shot a carer from a mental health centre.
Why? Was he being threatening?
No he was just lying there.
Ah, a trip hazard, they are quite dangerous, a threat to the community.

You went to his mothers to notify her of the incident, and shot her too.  Why.
Ummmm, she was slow to answer the door.
And we found an old Bob Marley cassette.

Legit or copied.
Seems legit, Buffalo Soldier is a bit squanky though.
Shame, I'm sure you can hang pirates at sea, something similar would surely apply. 
But there's obviously a drug connection so we'll be able to smooth this one over.

The funeral service, you both opened fire, impressive hit rate.  Any comments?
Errrr, no.
Hmm, I see one of them, the guy in the wheel chair had a prior for trip hazard.
Obviously a bad bunch, well done.
We've decided to transfer you to the training academy, report there on Monday, you can go.
No! No! No! Put your guns away, it's not locked, just turn the forken handle for fork sake.
Sorry, sorry sir.
No don't apologise, Jagger was wrong about the painting of doors, much too provocative.
Go!

Buddy

I'm too sober for this family function.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 22, 2016, 03:15:03 AM
You two have been busy.
You shot a carer from a mental health centre.
Why? Was he being threatening?
No he was just lying there.
Ah, a trip hazard, they are quite dangerous, a threat to the community.

It doesn't get any better. The officer was apparently trying to shoot the autistic person sitting on the ground with a white toy truck in his hand who was next to the carer. "Bullet that struck caregiver was meant to protect him, police union prez says" | Miami Herald
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken