News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

You ever have one of those Friday's where you come into the office expecting it to be a somewhat easy day? You're dressed casually, everyone is in good sprits, there's a homemade apple pie in the refrigerator, and you've got your favorite coffee.

A relaxed weekend is looming on the horizon.

The sun is shining outdoors, and the boss is letting everyone out early at 3:30.

You think you'll be able to get caught up with some work, maybe even get ahead for Monday, and then one bloody critical and urgent issue after another hit's your desk and you start realizing, shit I may have to not only work late tonight, but most likely need to follow through and track some of these issues over the weekend.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Crow

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 29, 2016, 03:07:29 PM
You ever have one of those Friday's where you come into the office expecting it to be a somewhat easy day? You're dressed casually, everyone is in good sprits, there's a homemade apple pie in the refrigerator, and you've got your favorite coffee.

The sun is shining outdoors, and the boss is letting everyone out early at 3:30.

You think you'll be able to get caught up with some work, maybe even get ahead for Monday, and then one bloody critical and urgent issue after another hit's your desk and you start realizing, shit I may have to not only work late tonight, but most likely need to follow through and track some of these issues over the weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/lek3TBz.png

Get your wife to accidentally* phone through to your boss saying "there is an emergency and that you need to come home immediately", then get her to say "sorry I'm looking for Bruno, could you put him through". Then you tell your boss that you can't explain and need to go immediately. You run off and go do whatever you want for a few hours then phone your boss saying that everything is sorted and that your kitchen had been flooded or something inane that you won't get flagged up on at a later date. Enjoy your weekend then pick everything up on Monday.

*on purpose
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on January 29, 2016, 02:39:28 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2016, 12:39:03 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 29, 2016, 07:04:22 AM

My favorite:
I love you.
I love you, but...I want a divorce.

I don't agree with this. It is possible to marry somebody you love who does not love you in return. There may come a point in that relationship where the love of one partner simply cannot overcome the negative behavior, whatever that may be, of the other partner. Suppose one partner cheats on the other? The partner who is cheated on could well still love the other but could simply not cope with the betrayal.
These are the type of relationships that usually end up using that sentence. I love you, but I cheated on you. I love you, but I'm leaving you. If you want a divorce and you want to leave, then you don't love them. Why would the other one say, I love you too, but not your cheating ass, and crappy behavior. There is no love there. People shouldn't say, I love you, but you're an asshole, always have been and always will be. It just doesn't make sense. Be honest, I don't love you, and I want to leave. I don't love you either, and I want you to leave.

Bruno, saying I love you too, but I don't like you all the time--is different. :grin:
You appear to have read my post from the point of view of the cheating partner. I was looking at it from the way.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on January 29, 2016, 02:54:37 PM
These are the type of relationships that usually end up using that sentence. I love you, but I cheated on you. I love you, but I'm leaving you. If you want a divorce and you want to leave, then you don't love them. Why would the other one say, I love you too, but not your cheating ass, and crappy behavior. There is no love there. People shouldn't say, I love you, but you're an asshole, always have been and always will be. It just doesn't make sense. Be honest, I don't love you, and I want to leave. I don't love you either, and I want you to leave.

Bruno, saying I love you too, but I don't like you all the time--is different. :grin:

Cheating doesn't negate love (though it most likely negate the other persons love) and I guess you could still love a person but not want to be in their life, say for example the relationship is abusive or unhealthy.

Quote from: Crow on January 29, 2016, 02:54:37 PM
I guess you could still love a person but not want to be in their life,
"But I don't want to be in your life" cancels the "I love you." Abusive or unhealthy relationships are complicated, aren't they? I guess in these type of relationships, love is something you say, not something you do.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Crow on January 29, 2016, 03:18:38 PM

http://i.imgur.com/lek3TBz.png

Get your wife to accidentally* phone through to your boss saying "there is an emergency and that you need to come home immediately", then get her to say "sorry I'm looking for Bruno, could you put him through". Then you tell your boss that you can't explain and need to go immediately. You run off and go do whatever you want for a few hours then phone your boss saying that everything is sorted and that your kitchen had been flooded or something inane that you won't get flagged up on at a later date. Enjoy your weekend then pick everything up on Monday.

*on purpose

Thanks, and it's funny because with my wife's heavy accent she wouldn't have to explain much over the phone...they probably wouldn't understand half of what she said anyway ;D

This type of subterfuge isn't necessary where I work. If I wanted I could just tell them I need to leave and take care of some things and I'll finish my work up at home, or simply take the afternoon off with no questions asked.

I'm have my role, and responsibilities and I take care of them, with no one really monitoring me or looking over my shoulder. Fortunately as well if there was a real emergency at home they would cover for me in an instant.

I'll grind through it, anyway the morning was hectic, but things have quite down a bit. I had thought we had a serious quality issue at one of the plants, but it turned out they had the wrong supplier (A smart, but young and somewhat new engineer from our customer made a mistake)

Still don't really feel like adult-ing today.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2016, 06:03:38 PM
You appear to have read my post from the point of view of the cheating partner. I was looking at it from the way.
That's what I meant when I said that's my favorite. I hear it on TV all the time when some confesses to the other that they cheated. They always start with..."You know I love you, but..." The other one always says, "If you love me, you wouldn't cheat."

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2016, 12:39:03 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 29, 2016, 07:04:22 AM

My favorite:
I love you.
I love you, but...I want a divorce.

I Love you too, butt...

Magdalena

^^^
Oh, so you want to talk about butts?
(NSFW)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sandra Craft

This is why I so, SO, love being retired.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: Magdalena on January 29, 2016, 08:46:36 PM
^^^
(NSFW)

WHY would someone want an ass like a Nissan Leaf?!  :o

Crow

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 29, 2016, 08:13:30 PM

Vega "is a premium brand of convenient, plant-based, real-food alternatives." Real food, that is a phrase that irks me, what isn't real food? I buy these Eat Real Crisps (lentil chips are the best) and they are really  nice but the name bugs me big time. A chemical is real and most food use extracts of some sort. Chemicals make food much better.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Crow on January 30, 2016, 12:28:47 AM
Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 29, 2016, 08:13:30 PM

Vega "is a premium brand of convenient, plant-based, real-food alternatives." Real food, that is a phrase that irks me, what isn't real food? I buy these Eat Real Crisps (lentil chips are the best) and they are really  nice but the name bugs me big time. A chemical is real and most food use extracts of some sort. Chemicals make food much better.

I honestly didn't notice that on the sticker, I only picked it because I liked the Butt-Heart design (Or is it "Heart-Butt"?)

Real Food is one of those marketing slogans that's really popular here at the moment, like I recall and add not too long ago I was hearing frequently on the radio for McDonalds in which they touted how they used a "Freshly Cracked Egg" in each of their breakfast sandwiches.

Freshly cracked as opposed to what?

Quote from: Asmodean Prime on January 30, 2016, 12:20:21 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on January 29, 2016, 08:46:36 PM
^^^
(NSFW)

WHY would someone want an ass like a Nissan Leaf?!  :o

So I think we all can safely assume from this statement that His Greyness doesn't prefer Big-Butts!

Magdalena

Magdalena

I apologize for that outburst.

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz