News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

TBH I have more faith in DeeDee than God
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Icarus

Actually, I think that the ancient Egyptians believed that the cat had divine powers.  Books will know about this.

Essie Mae

Get well soon. Hope you are soon out. x
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Velma

Oh, Claire, get well soon. :hugs:

If your hospital stay is anything like my recent one, a doctor will flit through your room once a day, but you will see nurses and other non-physician staff at least once an hour, if not more.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Claire, like everyone here, I also hope you feel better real soon.  :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Velma on December 14, 2015, 03:16:46 AM
Oh, Claire, get well soon. :hugs:

If your hospital stay is anything like my recent one, a doctor will flit through your room once a day, but you will see nurses and other non-physician staff at least once an hour, if not more.

Nhs hospitals are set up a bit different to the ones in the states. When I was in resus I had a nurse constantly at my side and a doctor would pop in every ten minutes or so. Now I'm a bit better I'm on a normal ward where there are six beds in one big room. So we have a nurse and two clinical support workers with us at all times. The doctors then do ward rounds so you see them twice a day.  I actually like the ward system as there's a real camaraderie developing between us on here, the lady next to me is fascinating. Oh and then there's the tea lady.........we have tea delivered on a trolley on the half hour,  every half hour. Jj is worried I'm becoming institutionalised!

OldGit

They're slipping little blue pills into the tea, to keep you docile. ;)

Crow

I think me and alcohol are done. Just can't handle it any more. I rarely drink these days maybe a glass of wine with food or a few bottles of weak beer watching football on the odd occasion and that is pushing me a bit. Go out with friends for a bar oriented weekend and I'm out of action for days and really don't enjoy it. Ah well all good things must come to an end at some point.
Retired member.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Crow

This article on The Guardian: My Students Paid £9,000 and They Think They Own Me.

I missed the big money university days as I only paid about £2,500 per year or something similar, I'm not quite sure how much it was really as my parents paid it and it didn't concern me. Regardless I do remember many of the issues in the article starting to flare up, primarily about lack of teaching. I always replied you are not there to be taught you are there to be independent and show you are capable of learning without the aid of others, that the tutors are there to guide you but ultimately it is up to yourself, especially considering they have their own research projects to do. The response to that was always why am I paying X amount then.

Perhaps the issue isn't that students are paying the money but they do not understand what uni is providing them. Due to the fact that university has almost become a de facto progression in education for the masses that now means little, combined with the A level system still mollycoddles the students a disconnect between what is expected and what is reality has arose.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on December 18, 2015, 12:54:18 PM
This article on The Guardian: My Students Paid £9,000 and They Think They Own Me.

I missed the big money university days as I only paid about £2,500 per year or something similar, I'm not quite sure how much it was really as my parents paid it and it didn't concern me. Regardless I do remember many of the issues in the article starting to flare up, primarily about lack of teaching. I always replied you are not there to be taught you are there to be independent and show you are capable of learning without the aid of others, that the tutors are there to guide you but ultimately it is up to yourself, especially considering they have their own research projects to do. The response to that was always why am I paying X amount then.

Perhaps the issue isn't that students are paying the money but they do not understand what uni is providing them. Due to the fact that university has almost become a de facto progression in education for the masses that now means little, combined with the A level system still mollycoddles the students a disconnect between what is expected and what is reality has arose.

This issue is causing real problems where my wife works. The students are getting seriously focused on succeeding.  Not a bad thing you might think. However what happens to the students who are incapable of succeeding? They still end up with the debt but no degree and no way to get their money back. Thus they get very upset with poor marks. They are not inclined to accept the blame because they have never been responsible for their own learning before. All their educational experience prior to Uni was of being spoon fed answers to regurgitate in exams. They were not required to think.

Now what happens when a tutor can see that a student is a hopeless case, incapable of even getting a third class degree? And tutors know a hopeless case when they see one. To all intents and purposes the Uni is taking money under false pretences, and the tax payer is footing the bill.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2015, 01:03:45 PM
This issue is causing real problems where my wife works. The students are getting seriously focused on succeeding.  Not a bad thing you might think. However what happens to the students who are incapable of succeeding? They still end up with the debt but no degree and no way to get their money back. Thus they get very upset with poor marks. They are not inclined to accept the blame because they have never been responsible for their own learning before. All their educational experience prior to Uni was of being spoon fed answers to regurgitate in exams. They were not required to think.

Now what happens when a tutor can see that a student is a hopeless case, incapable of even getting a third class degree? And tutors know a hopeless case when they see one. To all intents and purposes the Uni is taking money under false pretences, and the tax payer is footing the bill.

Do they not cut people anymore? My year started out with 90 students by the time it got to third year there were 30. Many left because they couldn't handle the criticism (looking back at it now it was brutal) but more were kicked out because they couldn't hit academic targets, officially it was below a third but the tutors always asked them to stop wasting their time if they couldn't hit a 2.1.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on December 18, 2015, 01:41:41 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 18, 2015, 01:03:45 PM

Do they not cut people anymore? My year started out with 90 students by the time it got to third year there were 30. Many left because they couldn't handle the criticism (looking back at it now was brutal) but more were kicked out because they couldn't hit academic targets, offically it was below a third but the tutors always asked them to stop wasting there time if they couldn't hit a 2.1.
I presume that would depend on the University. I'll ask my wife.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

My friend has been on my mind.

:pensive:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

We think he is busy on real world things.