News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on October 17, 2015, 09:50:46 AM
Quote from: TankBoth are stressful. Doing both at the same time is bound to take its toll.
Right.  Hang on in there and it'll begin to settle down.  Think of Scamp and possibly that American bloke, what's his name.

Both are very stressful and likely to wear anyone down, I think <3

As for me, I'm getting ready for my first solo international trip tomorrow and I'm a bit nervoussss. Heading to Texas for training. I've never been there before.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

Good luck!  But what are they training you to do? ;)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on October 17, 2015, 02:08:59 PM
Good luck!  But what are they training you to do? ;)

Inspect non-corrosive coatings, haha.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Claireliontamer

Scamp is with her Dad today, which didn't help as I miss her when she isn't here plus the cold and darkness seems to be drawing in.  However, I did get to speak to 'that American bloke' and have had a day of cooking comfort food.  Squash soup, fish pie and sticky toffee pudding........so now I feel full of stodge and much better :)

DJ - I hope the trip goes well.

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on October 17, 2015, 07:00:20 PM
Scamp is with her Dad today, which didn't help as I miss her when she isn't here plus the cold and darkness seems to be drawing in.  However, I did get to speak to 'that American bloke' and have had a day of cooking comfort food.  Squash soup, fish pie and sticky toffee pudding........so now I feel full of stodge and much better :)

And watching Strictly Come Dancing !!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Tank on October 17, 2015, 07:40:02 PM

I am.....Gleb took his shirt off, I was disappointed!

Firebird

Quote from: Claireliontamer on October 17, 2015, 07:56:37 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 17, 2015, 07:40:02 PM

I am.....Gleb took his shirt off, I was disappointed!

Good luck. We just moved and it was painful. Hopefully not again for a while.

What's the new job?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sandra Craft

That'll do it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Monday morning approches...I think I might die.

I have a few powerpoint slides and a poster I have to present and the anxiety is killing me. I wrote down a script of what I want to say and it looks nice on paper but when I try saying it I out loud end up blurting everything out in an almost incomprehensible string of poorly connected words, gobbling up smaller words and not putting emphasis where I'm supposed to.    :-[

I try to slow down and pronounce each word clearly but when I remind myself to do that I end up forgetting my entire script.  :-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 18, 2015, 02:20:39 AM

I have a few powerpoint slides and a poster I have to present and the anxiety is killing me. I wrote down a script of what I want to say and it looks nice on paper but when I try saying it I out loud end up blurting everything out in an almost incomprehensible string of poorly connected words, gobbling up smaller words and not putting emphasis where I'm supposed to.    :-[

I try to slow down and pronounce each word clearly but when I remind myself to do that I end up forgetting my entire script.  :-\
Practice, practice, practice!

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 18, 2015, 02:20:39 AM

My advice? Take a break from the project, or take a step back and look at the whole picture, connect everything, then go back and practice, practice, practice!
You'll be fine.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Try delivering it with a bucket of rancid yoghurt balanced on your head.

xSilverPhinx

Practice, yes. Undoubtedly the more prepared I am, the less anxious I'll feel. I even felt nervous when practicing in front of friends and family (LOL, I'm such a mess when it comes to these things :'().   

The big picture. Yes, good thinking. Always remember the big picture.

Quote from: OldGit on October 18, 2015, 10:10:50 AM
Try delivering it with a bucket of rancid yoghurt balanced on your head.

Hmm...I feel there must be a nugget of wisdom there, though I don't feel so inclined to try. :P Would imagining such a situation suffice?   ;D

I wish I could place a bucket of rancid yoghurt on each of the judge's heads when the time comes, that way they wouldn't look so scary.  Maybe not so happy, but they'd look more vulnerable than I am...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Rancid yogurt might work. A rather standard device for public speakers with stage fright is to imagine the people you are addressing are wearing no clothes. The mental image of some fat guy, with his belly fat  flopping around, is easy to dismiss as a judgmental sort. For a more severe mental image, imagine that the audience members all have diarrhea caused by a bad batch of sushi.

Keep your confidence and do believe that you are as competent as any of them and more competent than some of them.  In some cases a modicum of arrogance is useful.