News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Velma on July 01, 2012, 04:00:23 AM
The agenda today was to do some shopping. On the way there, my eyelids kept wanting to close, so I thought a stop at Starbucks for an iced coffee was in order. As I got out of the car, I heard squealing tires. I turned around just in time to see a large pickup truck hit a metal light post head on - the light post wound up in the middle of the engine compartment. The guy wasn't wearing his seatbelt - he hit the wind shield and then was flung halfway out the driver's side window. It took over half an hour for them to get him out of the truck.  It keeps replaying in my head.

That is just awful. Do you know if the guy was alive?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Velma

He was taken away in an ambulance.  I've looked on the local news sites and haven't seen anything about it.  I may never know.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

OldGit

Then again, he might have hit you.

cncracer

Quote from: OldGit on July 01, 2012, 08:32:42 AM

Git,
Just looked at your profile, and 65 is not that old. I am not that far behind you and still feel like a 40 year old LOL. I did notice your picture has the looks of a hard life, but than this could be just from life experiences. If so your face is trying to tell an action movie story with all those lines.   

En_Route

Quote from: cncracer on July 01, 2012, 12:16:10 PM
Quote from: OldGit on July 01, 2012, 08:32:42 AM

Git,
Just looked at your profile, and 65 is not that old. I am not that far behind you and still feel like a 40 year old LOL. I did notice your picture has the looks of a hard life, but than this could be just from life experiences. If so your face is trying to tell an action movie story with all those lines.   

I believe that picture was taken twenty years ago.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 30, 2012, 10:12:45 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 30, 2012, 09:54:28 PM
OMA, do you do this DJ?  That's fantastic, you should loan it to Tank.

Ohh no, it's not mine. Just something I found on the interwebs.  ;D I did post it there for Tank, though. :)

Thank you. I love it  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on July 01, 2012, 12:35:10 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 30, 2012, 10:12:45 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 30, 2012, 09:54:28 PM
OMA, do you do this DJ?  That's fantastic, you should loan it to Tank.

Ohh no, it's not mine. Just something I found on the interwebs.  ;D I did post it there for Tank, though. :)

Thank Tank you. I love it  ;D

Fixed it for you.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

It's Canada Day. Not feeling very patriotic. It's also Memorial Day back home, to remember the loses of the Newfoundland Regiment during Beaumont-Hamel in WWI.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 01, 2012, 02:26:32 PM
It's Canada Day. Not feeling very patriotic. It's also Memorial Day back home, to remember the loses of the Newfoundland Regiment during Beaumont-Hamel in WWI.

Not feeling very patriotic either, but going downtown for fireworks later anyhow. I'd honestly be just as happy staying in with a movie. This cold/flu thing just won't quit.  >:(

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on July 01, 2012, 04:44:02 PM

Not feeling very patriotic either, but going downtown for fireworks later anyhow. I'd honestly be just as happy staying in with a movie. This cold/flu thing just won't quit.  >:(

Boo cold/flu!
Holy crap, have you been hearing all of the fighter jets flying around all morning?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 01, 2012, 05:09:25 PM

Boo cold/flu!
Holy crap, have you been hearing all of the fighter jets flying around all morning?

Change of plans, no fireworks, kiddo's sick to her stomach.

And holy crap, YES, they've been loud and insane! I've also heard sirens all day. I can assume both have to do with the holiday, hopefully for two different reasons.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on July 01, 2012, 07:12:06 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 01, 2012, 05:09:25 PM

Boo cold/flu!

Change of plans, no fireworks, kiddo's sick to her stomach.

And holy crap, YES, they've been loud and insane! I've also heard sirens all day. I can assume both have to do with the holiday, hopefully for two different reasons.  :P

We just got back from Parliament Hill. I got a picture of "you know who". Well, his car, anyway.

Such a man of the people. What with his closed tinted windows and police force yelling at pedestrians and all. ::)

Guardian85

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 01, 2012, 08:14:24 PM
Such a man of the people. What with his closed tinted windows and police force yelling at pedestrians and all. ::)

Maybe it's about those people who think shooting at political figures is a very good idea.  ::)

Usually an american thing, but still...  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 02, 2012, 12:17:46 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 01, 2012, 08:14:24 PM

Maybe it's about those people who think shooting at political figures is a very good idea.  ::)

Usually an american thing, but still...  ;D

Well, the Governor General was good enough to wave when he drove by :P. And Harper spoke out in the open in public a few minutes later, so I don't really see what the difference would have been since the street was closed and swept just as the stage that he spoke on was. It is a bit unusual for a politician in Canada to do this (annnnnd part of me just likes justifying my dislike of him, I'll admit it.)