News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 18, 2012, 11:03:59 PM
I feel inhumane with holding something life sustaining like water, even knowing it may mean that I have to change the sheets at 4 am.

You can live at least 3 days without water. It will be good practice for him if he's ever lost in a desert.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

Good point. He's probably going to need it. Look at how hot my car says it is today (hint: bottom and to the left where it says 106 F!!!!!

This is some End of Days type weather we're having here.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 18, 2012, 10:42:06 PM
So, in conclusion, this is all Google's fault. I've contacted my lawyer.
You know, usually, assigning of blame should start by the mirror. I was not and still am not directing my comments at you or any one in particular, but any one who decides to have a kid and then whines about sleepless nights and unproductive days and all the other crap associated with caring for immature humans deserves every bit of misery they've signed up for in my book. Every. Fucking. Bit.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on June 18, 2012, 11:54:15 PM
You know, usually, assigning of blame should start by the mirror. I was not and still am not directing my comments at you or any one in particular, but any one who decides to have a kid and then whines about sleepless nights and unproductive days and all the other crap associated with caring for immature humans deserves every bit of misery they've signed up for in my book. Every. Fucking. Bit.

Whining about your kids is the obligation of every parent in the same way that whining about your job is the obligation of every employee.  ;) (Also, Jesus Christ Asmo, lighten up a little.)

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Buddy

Holy crap, I take time off the forum for a few hours to sleep off the heat and this is what I come back to? I guess I am the only person keeping this forum civil.  >:(  

:D

Quote from: Ali on June 18, 2012, 11:32:22 PM
Good point. He's probably going to need it. Look at how hot my car says it is today (hint: bottom and to the left where it says 106 F!!!!!

This is some End of Days type weather we're having here.

I know how you feel. This is the crazy weather at my place:

*Note, it's in Celsius.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

You guys are complaining about 33, 34 and 36 degree weather? :D

That's a cool day in India during the summer...not many people can say that they've experienced a 48 degree day (in Celsius) with still winds during a summer with a few days in a row over 40 degrees.

Edited to add: I don't mean to sound cynical, but sometimes I have to put up with the locals and the following...see the dialogue:

"Dude, it's hot today."
"Barbarity, it's damn hot today."
"Yeah, really. I saw in the paper that it's 31 degrees celsius."
"Barbarity!"
"Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaarbarity."
"Only we know what it's like to live in such weather."
"But we is strong"
"Barbarity, we is strong."
"We can stand such weather and we should let the rest of the world know about it."
"Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
"Ba."

The last thing I want to to be like them but I just have to let them know when they're talking utter rubbish. Some people find it endlessly amusing but it just gets annoying atter a while, especially when people insist that I'm one of them. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on June 18, 2012, 11:54:15 PM

You could say that about everything.
Got a flat tire? Shoulda thought about that before you bought a car
Girlfriend broke your heart? Shoulda thought about that before you fell in love
Dog broke his leg and cost you $1200 in vet bills? Shoulda thought about that before you got a dog

Anyhoo, I was obviously joking about Google. And, believe it or not, I did give it a tinsy-weensy bit of thought before bringing another person into the world. Just a little. I don't think I come here and regularly bitch and moan about what an inconvenience being a parent is. I also don't come here and glorify parents and talk about how we're all awesome, selfless martyrs. Because that'd be obnoxious. I wasn't really expecting sympathy from you, Asmo, I wasn't expecting you to comment at all, really. I just knew that there are other parents here who maybe DID care to comment (and, as it turns out, I was right).
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

In other news, my daughter fell asleep tonight on the couch, with her head and shoulders on the seat of it, and the rest of her halfway up the back rest.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on June 19, 2012, 04:43:27 AM
In other news, my daughter fell asleep tonight on the couch, with her head and shoulders on the seat of it, and the rest of her halfway up the back rest.  :D

Sounds like she took "Sleeping like a teenager 101."
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 19, 2012, 02:40:26 AM
Got a flat tire? Shoulda thought about that before you bought a car
I'm not talking about kids' breaking their parts. I'm talking about kids doing what kids do. There is a big difference between an unusual event, like your tire blowing out (And if it was cheap, Chinese and bold, then yes, go to the mirror for proper assigning of blame) and a normal event, like a young child keeping the parents up/stressed/unproductive.

QuoteGirlfriend broke your heart? Shoulda thought about that before you fell in love
Some say you can not choose to fall in love... Me, I sort of call that bullshit as you can choose not to act on it and it will go away. Your statement stands, but again you manage to provide example from another planet.

QuoteDog broke his leg and cost you $1200 in vet bills? Shoulda thought about that before you got a dog
See my response to car.

QuoteJust a little. I don't think I come here and regularly bitch and moan about what an inconvenience being a parent is. I also don't come here and glorify parents and talk about how we're all awesome, selfless martyrs. Because that'd be obnoxious. I wasn't really expecting sympathy from you, Asmo, I wasn't expecting you to comment at all, really. I just knew that there are other parents here who maybe DID care to comment (and, as it turns out, I was right).
Well, I've been in the nastiest mood so far this year for days now, so I couldn't resist.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I bawled my eyes out this morning. My grandson (L) has been staying here two or three nights a week for the last 6 months and going to a local play school so my daughter can work in Leeds. But it has proved untenable for lots of reasons. So today is probably Ls last day at the local play school. I dropped him off and when I got in my car I just about managed to hold it together until I got home. I'm gonna so miss not seeing the little chunk growing up.  :'(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

You don't have kids only as a result of considering the pros and cons.  You have them because you give in to a very powerful instinct.  Obviously.  Were that not so, the development of contraception would already have made the human race extinct.

Anyhow, with all the bad stuff, the little beggars are rather nice.   ;)  That's why Tank and I are very happy to take it on a second time with the grandkids.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on June 19, 2012, 09:48:33 AM
You don't have kids only as a result of considering the pros and cons.  You have them because you give in to a very powerful instinct.  Obviously.  Were that not so, the development of contraception would already have made the human race extinct.

Anyhow, with all the bad stuff, the little beggars are rather nice.   ;)  That's why Tank and I are very happy to take it on a second time with the grandkids.
That is so true. But I didn't realise that he'd wormed his way under my skin quite so much. Both my wife and daughter were more than a little shocked at my reaction.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.