News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 15, 2012, 03:34:38 PM
I tried to join a writing forum, but the entire place seemed like one giant pissing contest. Constructive analysis and feedback = helpful. Overwrought egos and constant dick-measuring =/= helpful. Granted, there's a fine line, but still. Bah.  

Yes, I've had similar experiences with writing forums, or in-person writing groups. I certainly don't want everyone to be nice about my writing ("Oooh, lovely!/Very cool!" is nice, but not useful or too helpful). On the other hand, the over-inflated egos and superiority complexes are aggravating. It's kinda like, "OK, good for you, so what if you're probably a better writer than I am? Now that I've acknowledged that, how about some analysis and feedback?"

I run into this issue from time to time when I show writing to friends or family. They don't want to critique it, suggest changes, or offer perspectives. They generally pull the "oh, you're a good writer" or "oh, nice" card when I know there are improvements I can make. Oh well. If I ever get this thing published, that's what I'll pay my editor good money for, I suppose.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Don't worry Buddy, no tipsiness here! Even though the woman beside me HUMMED the entire 2 hour flight.  >:(

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on May 15, 2012, 06:20:32 PM
Don't worry Buddy, no tipsiness here! Even though the woman beside me HUMMED the entire 2 hour flight.  >:(

Yikes! *hands Ali earbuds attached to music that's at least marginally better than someone else humming*

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Asmodean

Doom.  >:(

...And gloom.  >:(

Also, Mass Effect 3, which is nice.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Wow. Apparently being nice does have its advantages. Like free pizza!.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 15, 2012, 06:53:04 PM
Wow. Apparently being nice does have its advantages.
NO!  >:(

Like free pizza!.  ;D
>:(.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Munchkin Goddess

Quote from: Asmodean on May 15, 2012, 06:38:51 PM
Also, Mass Effect 3, which is nice.
Ending kind of pissed me off though....

Asmodean

Can it be worse than the Fallout slideshows though?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous!

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 15, 2012, 06:53:04 PM
Wow. Apparently being nice does have its advantages. Like free pizza!.  ;D

I want some~ :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Ali, beautiful pictures! I especially love the waterfall!!

xSilverPhinx

i've had my homework in front of me for the past hour and I've been spending that time watching Judge Judy vids on YouTube. Anyone have some extra willpower and remedy against procastination they'd like to lend?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

OldGit

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 16, 2012, 04:17:11 AMAnyone have some extra willpower and remedy against procastination they'd like to lend?

Ye I do but I don't feel like telling you at the moment, I'll tell you later,,,, maybe.