News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Crow on May 02, 2012, 10:43:52 PM
I think I am going to build a bike, certainly going to go for a carbon drive system than the traditional chain, I wonder if I can use them with a fixie.
Presumably the prime advantage of the belt is lower weight with a side effect of no lubrication?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

I think I am going to build a bike, certainly going to go for a carbon drive system than the traditional chain, I wonder if I can use them with a fixie.

Ooh, nice plan! On what frame?

I read good things about these. Never seen them out on the trails yet but it's gotta be the future. My preferred trails are too hilly to go single-speed and the internal gear technology isn't quite there yet to support the belt system on a geared setup. Only a matter of time though.

...And besides, I've got a vested interest in keeping the 1x9 alive - I manufacture chainguides.

Keep us posted with piccies...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Quote from: Tank on May 02, 2012, 11:14:36 PM
Presumably the prime advantage of the belt is lower weight with a side effect of no lubrication?
Low weight, high strength, low maintenance, low wear, low stretch, low noise, low dirt-trapping... seems like a no-brainer to me. Previous incarnations suffered from 'bounce' - like peddling a bungee, but I guess applied science has created some decent composites to reduce elasticity.

Retro-fitting is only possible on some frames where the rear triangle splits (like mine ;D) so this is going to have to trickle into the market on purpose built bikes which will slow the revolution. I believe this will be standard in 20 years time once in-hub gearing has evolved.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

I have nothing to add to the technical machinery-type talk.
So I'm going to talk about nail polish.

I bought this colour yesterday and I really like it. In low light it looks kind of gray-ish, but in direct light you can see the purpley-ness. I like dark nails, but I find that black looks too stark sometimes.

;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 03, 2012, 01:15:30 AM

I bought this colour yesterday and I really like it. In low light it looks kind of gray-ish, but in direct light you can see the purpley-ness. I like dark nails, but I find that black looks too stark sometimes.

;D

That's a neat looking shade! I like how it's more a muted purple. :) Which colours of clothing would you wear with that?

I have a shade of bluey-silver nailpolish that does that too with the light, low light makes it more silver, direct light shows you the blue. Nail polish is fun. I currently have this shade on right now:

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

I was looking at that colour yesterday! I have a wedding coming up and I thought that blue would be a fun colour for it, but I'm not sure what I'm wearing yet.
The purple is pretty muted, and close to a neutral, so I would think you could wear it with almost anything. It'd probably look good with brown/grays/blacks. Personally, I've been wearing black leggings and a yoga top all day (haha, gotta love working from home).

I have a pink/red/green flower/pitcher plant tattoo on my foot and I took great pleasure in finding a perfect shade of pink to match for my tootsies a few months ago. Nail polish is fun.  ;D 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Crow

My main reasoning is to prevent oil stains, a decision purely based on vanity. Though I have had a ride on a custom track bike fitted with one and I thought it was brilliant.

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 02, 2012, 11:37:53 PM

Not sure as of yet, I am stuck between a trick frame or road frame. I like both but for totally different reasons, I like the freedom of the trick frame but I also like the edgy speed and aesthetics of a road frame. Hmmm decisions, decisions.
Retired member.

Amicale

Quote from: Crow on May 03, 2012, 01:39:01 AM

My main reasoning is to prevent oil stains, a decision purely based on vanity. Though I have had a ride on a custom track bike fitted with one and I thought it was brilliant.

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 02, 2012, 11:37:53 PM

Not sure as of yet, I am stuck between a trick frame or road frame. I like both but for totally different reasons, I like the freedom of the trick frame but I also like the edgy speed and aesthetics of a road frame. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

Hmm. Knowing absolutely zilch about building bikes from the frame up, I'm wondering if it would even be possible to create a combination of both a trick and road frame. You know, good for both.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

xSilverPhinx

I wonder where Davin is ???
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

"Munch's 'The Scream' sells for record $119.9M in New York."
No body told me, I never even had a chance to bid.
I'd make my own but people frowned at me last time I set up an easel and mirror on the local bridge...

Amicale

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 03, 2012, 03:47:58 AM
"Munch's 'The Scream' sells for record $119.9M in New York."
No body told me, I never even had a chance to bid.
I'd make my own but people frowned at me last time I set up an easel and mirror on the local bridge...

It's funny how many people attribute Munch's work to Van Gogh. Someone once did a very creative combining of Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' with 'The Scream', and it looked great. Just Google 'The Scream Starry Night' without quotes, and you'll see it.

Guardian85

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 03, 2012, 01:15:30 AM

;D

zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

DeterminedJuliet

Up late polishing a project for a deadline tomorrow. Everyone else in the house is asleep, including the kitties. Feeling a bit lonely (and procrastinatey).

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany