News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on May 01, 2012, 09:54:56 PM
Yes, you see, the Koreans tend to feel cheap and dreadful, but that is because they kind of are. They do not pretend to be something they are not, something I certainly felt both a 2007 Mustang and a 200-something Caddy Escalade did big time. One was pretending to be sporty, the other was pretending to be luxurious and both were aspiring to look expensive on the outside. At least with a Kia, you know you are getting... A Kia. No more, no less.

That said, Germans are good, but a BMW makes you look like a dick, a merc makes you look like a banker AND a dick, an Audi makes you look like a dick with no manner of eye for shape and Porsche design their cars with tracing paper.... AND make you look like a dick. That sort of leaves VW in my book, and a Golf makes you look like an 18 year old, a Caravelle makes it look like your life is over and you are waiting to die, especially in prosthesis white, Touareg is pointless and expensive... That leaves Passat and Phaeton (Notice how I'm not even starting on the Fox/Lupo nonsense)

Alfa Romeos are nice, but who has the maintenance coin to keep one..?  :(

I agree with you on the Korean cars...but Hyundai is looking a lot better these days and I think they still offer the best warranty around, if I'm not mistaken.

As for the rest...I guess I'm a "dick".  I'm no where near wealthy as I've never bought a BMW or Mercedes or Lexus new off the lot.  I buy my vehicles CPOs.  I pay a lot less for a great car.  I've happily owned a few of each.

I will stand with BMW forever.  Recently my daughter met a telephone pole head-on in her 325i.  She walked away with a scratch on her arm from the seatbelt.  (the accident was not her fault btw).  The police were amazed she was walking away and mentioned their experience with such an accident in other cars would've resulted in them pulling up to a dead body, if not multiple. We replaced that car with a really nice and just as "safe" MBZ C230 Kom. (amazing how much her 2001 325i was worth according to the Ins.)  It was her choice.  I wanted to get her into another newer 3 series, but she liked the MBZ.  The safety rating was about the same.  My wife has an MBZ also and so do I.  Mine has just over 230,000 miles (bought with 40k miles on it) and still drives and looks great!  I anticipate reaching 500k miles and maybe more.

I'll look for the pics from my daughters accident...maybe I'll post. 

Of couse this is my experience and therefore dictates my opinion.  :)

En_Route

Quote from: Recusant on May 01, 2012, 10:24:07 PM
Quote from: En_Route on May 01, 2012, 10:14:38 PM
Looking forward to the forthcoming Annual Shoelace Collectors Convention.

Are they going to have a seminar on carbon fiber aglets?

Probably too controversial. Passions run high on this topic, with the pro- metal traditionalists threatening to form a breakaway association.

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

It's an Accord.  Blue.  But with heated leather seats and a sun roof.  Awwwwwww yeah, dolla dolla bills y'all.

Just kidding.  First of all because it's a Honda Accord, and second of all I didn't even pay for it.  My father-in-law gave it to me when he bought his Prius (I totally picture stabbing pains driving through Scissorlegs' head when I mention the word "Prius"  ;D ;D ;D)

Asmodean

PRIUS?! It... It... But...

... ...

>:( !

AD: oh, the dick factor of the BMW applies to the cars from the mid-ninties and the brand new ones. If you have a 2000-ish to 2005-ish model, you are barely in the yellow zone on the dick-o-meter  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on May 01, 2012, 10:49:06 PM
AD: oh, the dick factor of the BMW applies to the cars from the mid-ninties and the brand new ones. If you have a 2000-ish to 2005-ish model, you are barely in the yellow zone on the dick-o-meter  :P

Had an '85 325 that I wish I had never sold!  Had an '88 528e (awesome car), a '97 740i (fast as hell for big car), a 2001 X5 (simply the best Bimmer I've owned), and the 2001 325i (excellent car and saved a life).  I'm not in the market for a newer car, but certainly BMW's latest would be considered...especially the X5's...well the one's on the CPO lot that is.

Asmodean

Well, none of those make you seem too much of a dick - apart from the late 3-series, perhaps, and image or no, it has to be said that is a very good car, even if slightly smallish.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

On a completely different topic from cars, I almost had to kick a goose today.  I've decided that geese are awful creatures, and if I decide to eat meat again, it will be goose.

Guardian85

Getting back to cars, I drive a 1998 Hyundai Coupe and am damn happy with it.

I'd like to own something expensive and german, but not on my current salary....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

*squints at G85*

Don't make me kick you.  I still have a lot of aggression left over from the goose.  I want to talk about geese now, not cars.

(I'm sorry, I really am in a weird mood at the moment.  Carry on with your car talk or whatever.)

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on May 01, 2012, 11:07:38 PM
(I'm sorry, I really am in a weird mood at the moment.  Carry on with your car talk or whatever.)

When are you not?  :P

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on May 01, 2012, 11:08:52 PM
Quote from: Ali on May 01, 2012, 11:07:38 PM

When are you not?  :P

Fair enough.  :D

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Guardian85 on May 01, 2012, 11:05:02 PM
Getting back to cars, I drive a 1998 Hyundai Coupe and am damn happy with it.

I'd like to own something expensive and german, but not on my current salary....

CPO...there's no better way to buy a car.  Someone else pays the lux tax and you enjoy the car in its prime and still in like-new condition at about 1/3 of the original cost.  We recently used carmax and was really surprised at the ease.  No haggling, but a boat load of cars to choose from...all with CPO-like prep.  Anyway...not meaning to toot their horn other than it was very satisfying.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on May 01, 2012, 11:01:29 PM
On a completely different topic from cars, I almost had to kick a goose today.  I've decided that geese are awful creatures, and if I decide to eat meat again, it will be goose.

I am very interested in this goose. What did it do to make you want to kick it?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

I'm in the mood to rearrange the layout of the room.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Recusant

Quote from: En_Route on May 01, 2012, 10:37:20 PM
Quote from: Recusant on May 01, 2012, 10:24:07 PM
Quote from: En_Route on May 01, 2012, 10:14:38 PM
Looking forward to the forthcoming Annual Shoelace Collectors Convention.

Are they going to have a seminar on carbon fiber aglets?

Probably too controversial. Passions run high on this topic, with the pro- metal traditionalists threatening to form a breakaway association.

I'd have thought that the cotton-poly revolution would have put paid to their pretentions long ago, but I suppose some concessions must be made for the sake of unity. I hope you have a grand time!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken