Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Crow on April 27, 2012, 11:31:42 AM
Quote from: Tank on April 27, 2012, 09:07:37 AM
Might get a day without rain today

Its only rained one day all week in Manchester and its always raining here.
Bully for you  >:(  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 27, 2012, 09:07:37 AM
Might get a day without rain today

Yeah, you gave your rain to us.  >:(
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Type "zerg rush" into google or if your feeling really fancy type in "do a barrel roll".
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on April 27, 2012, 01:34:12 PM
Type "zerg rush" into google or if your feeling really fancy type in "do a barrel roll".

LOL
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on April 27, 2012, 01:41:10 PM
Quote from: Crow on April 27, 2012, 01:34:12 PM

LOL

Love the barrel roll, that was a good one.

Also try "tilt" or "askew" to see your page tip.

Search for "binary" to see the number of results change. ;)

http://www.google.com/pacman/ press insert coin to enjoy a free game!

Edit: and this last winter, they had a cool one where you typed 'let it snow' and your screen would fill with snowflakes.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Blah.  I have been so busy lately.  I have missed you guys this week!

So everybody wish me good luck.  I am applying for a job at another company that I think is going to be a major opportunity, and that I'm fairly sure is in the bag (the guy doing the hiring called me specifically to ask me to apply, so I've gotta be on the short list, right?)  It's exciting, but also scary.  I've worked at the same company for 9 years, since before I even graduated from college, so it's kind of scary to go from the devil I know to the devil I don't know.  *Trying to breath deep and center herself*

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on April 27, 2012, 04:20:38 PM

So everybody wish me good luck.  I am applying for a job at another company that I think is going to be a major opportunity, and that I'm fairly sure is in the bag (the guy doing the hiring called me specifically to ask me to apply, so I've gotta be on the short list, right?)  It's exciting, but also scary.  I've worked at the same company for 9 years, since before I even graduated from college, so it's kind of scary to go from the devil I know to the devil I don't know.  *Trying to breath deep and center herself*

Come on! Someone as lovable as you, who wouldn't hire you?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 27, 2012, 05:00:39 PM

Come on! Someone as lovable as you, who wouldn't hire you?

:D  Thanks G.    :D  I actually do think I will probably get it, which is the scary part.  LOL!

Asmodean

I don't drink, so probably the wrong person to answer... Still, I think it should be no harder than following the other laws of the road that people tend to ignore. Especially them damned kids with Audis and BMWs who blast past The Asmo on the straights and hold Him up in the corners because of their incompetence as drivers.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on April 27, 2012, 05:40:31 PM
I've never had my license so maybe this is easy for me to say: How hard is it to NOT drink and drive?! One of my friends just lost his youngest brother in a car accident (the brother's best friend was driving) and they both died. They were 21.  :( I just hate knowing that those families are now going through the worst experience of their lives.

We just had all the rescue departments out to our school yesterday, demonstrating what they do when they respond to an accident. There were two real cars, which the roof had to be removed from one to get the kid out. We had students play the passengers. One was able to get out of the car okay, one had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance, one had to be airlifted (they actually flew in a helicopter on the school grounds), and one was deceased. They even had the coroner out to show what they do to the bodies. Even though it was pretend, it was really scary to see the boy get zipped in a body bag.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 27, 2012, 06:00:26 PM
Even though it was pretend, it was really scary to see the boy get zipped in a body bag.
Nothing comes quite close to being there, at the scene of a real accident, covered in someone else's (and their car's) bodily fluids, trying to secure the area, triage and help the best you can while waiting for cars with funky blue lights.

I wouldn't call even that a good deterrent though. People I know who drive like the idiots they are tend to think "Ah, but you see, that is not gonna happen to ME - I'm FAR too good at this driving thing."

It's sort of like those people who say "Seat belts..? But I'm not gonna crash!" while completely disregarding the possibility of lorryist Ken crashing into them.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

En_Route

Prepare for it as if you might not get it. Maybe undertake a mock interview with your husband. While I have no doubt you are the supreme candidate, complacency at any level  is dangerous. I have been on lots of interviewing panels and it has happened that the apparent shoo-in candidate has crashed and burned. I won't be praying for you.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on April 27, 2012, 12:30:19 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 26, 2012, 07:09:43 PM
Quote from: OldGit on April 26, 2012, 06:40:03 PM
Sorry to hear that, Juliet.  But you see, husbands can be useful.

I agree, and I've always thought that my husband is quite wonderful
Thanks for the well-wishes, all :)

Are you feeling any better?

I think I'm feeling worse today, but thanks for the well-wishes.

Good luck with your interview, Ali!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Guardian85

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on April 27, 2012, 06:13:23 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 27, 2012, 06:07:00 PM
It's sort of like those people who say "Seat belts..? But I'm not gonna crash!" while completely disregarding the possibility of lorryist Ken crashing into them.

That's another thing. My friend's brother didn't have his seat belt on...he was thrown from the vehicle. His friend, who had his seat belt on, was pinned in and didn't survive either since the car flipped multiple times.
I generally don't like to speak ill of the dead, and I sympathize with the family of the deceased, but the more I hear of this case the more stupid the driver seems.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

We missed you to.

I hope the new job turns out to be all you wish.