News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Yes. Though I feel like this should be a fad. When one reaches 6000 posts, everyone changes their avatar to something related.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 26, 2012, 02:56:32 AM
Yes. Though I feel like this should be a fad. When one reaches 6000 posts, everyone changes their avatar to something related.

Agreed. Also, shiny plaque? What kind of shiny plaque?! Shiny is good!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Agreed, budhorse. And, oooh shiny~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 26, 2012, 03:21:08 AM

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 26, 2012, 03:27:35 AM

It was for my FFA end of the year banquet. I got it for being on the Parliamentary Procedure team.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

I do indeed have unexpected guests at my place. The variety with thin, long little tails and scritchy toenails. They're running around, just over my head, overtop the ceiling tiles. I've been hearing them for a couple hours... the skitter and pitter patter. I'd assume I was just hearing things, and ignore it, but I saw one right through my fluorescent light, and clearly saw its itty bitty toes.  :o

Greaaaaaat. Just great. Now I will have to try explaining to my kiddo why a) she can't have them as pets and b) why Mama wants to kill them. Sigh.

I'm not going to have any fans around here for this, I tell you.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

QuoteThese traps have been developed only to catch mice, not to kill them. It leaves up to the catcher the future of the mouse. The materials and the mechanics used are not aggressive, which makes it a friendly mousetrap. Clear glass, metal springs, paper clips, metal nut.

I wonder if Gawen knows about these things, good source of protein.

Recusant

Interesting, but no self respecting mouse is going to stay in the first two of those.

There's a product called "Trip trap mouse trap" that is sold in the UK which does a fine job of catching mice without harming them. You have to check them regularly of course, otherwise you kind of defeat your purpose. I prefer them to the other live-catch mouse traps because they're made out of clear plastic which allows you to easily tell whether you've caught anything. I've found them available online at Amazon UK and here. Rats are more problematic, of course, but they do make live catch traps for them as well.

Having caught young (not baby) rats by hand with a towel before (I'm not talking about pets), I can't recommend it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 26, 2012, 03:44:04 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 26, 2012, 03:21:08 AM

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 26, 2012, 03:27:35 AM

It was for my FFA end of the year banquet. I got it for being on the Parliamentary Procedure team.
Congratulations!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Recusant on April 26, 2012, 06:49:22 AM
Interesting, but no self respecting mouse is going to stay in the first two of those.

You could be right.
I once found a two litre juice bottle standing next to a low shelf with many dead mice in it.
If you recreated something like this, gave them a reason to go in there it could be effective.

Guardian85

Quote from: Amicale on April 26, 2012, 03:57:03 AM
I do indeed have unexpected guests at my place. The variety with thin, long little tails and scritchy toenails. They're running around, just over my head, overtop the ceiling tiles. I've been hearing them for a couple hours... the skitter and pitter patter. I'd assume I was just hearing things, and ignore it, but I saw one right through my fluorescent light, and clearly saw its itty bitty toes.  :o

Greaaaaaat. Just great. Now I will have to try explaining to my kiddo why a) she can't have them as pets and b) why Mama wants to kill them. Sigh.

I'm not going to have any fans around here for this, I tell you.

When in doubt...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

Eh, I have a cat. She's been meowing at the ceiling for part of the night, it's funny.  :D Even funnier because she'll stare at the ceiling, mew, and then lick her lips!

I'll have to set traps in areas I think the mice might come down, ie, my room, laundry room, etc. Thing is, they're in the ceiling - one ran right across my light, so they might not WANT to come down. Grrrr. Eh, maybe they'll move out on their own... *suspends critical thought and crosses fingers*  :P

In other news, setting my own work hours is awesome, having someone I need to start working with at 6 am... not so much.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Guardian85

I just came back from a meeting that pretty much turned out to be a job interview. With a little luck I might make supervisor.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 26, 2012, 12:07:17 PM
I just came back from a meeting that pretty much turned out to be a job interview. With a little luck I might make supervisor.
That's good. As long as you want to be a supervisor  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

I woke up this morning feeling quite icky. :(