News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on April 21, 2012, 07:06:16 PM
Trying to catch up with The Trial(tm), eating head ache pills and being generally whiney and miserable. Other than that, business as usual.
Hope you feel better soon.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Eh... Don't feel like feeling better. Taking a misery day today  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Washed the car yesterday. Today it rains.
Typical?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 20, 2012, 06:42:07 PM
Good luck! Let us know how you get on...

Thanks for recommending the book, finished it and cant believe how differently I think about the things. Not had a single so called side effect since about the 12th chapter whereas I would normally be crawling the walls at this point.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Asmocar is being rained on too, but he hasn't washed it yet. Will go to car wash this evening.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

:o United just drew with Everton. Come on City!
Retired member.

En_Route

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 22, 2012, 12:10:30 PM
Washed the car yesterday. Today it rains.
Typical?

Maybe of people who don't read weather forecasts.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

En_Route

Quote from: Crow on April 22, 2012, 02:46:16 PM
:o United just drew with Everton. Come on City!
With Tevez back in the fold, I fancy their chances. United have not been convincing all season but willpower and benevolent refereeing seemed to have won the day for them.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Sweetdeath

Need to decide what to eat for breakfast/lunch.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Siz

Quote from: Crow on April 22, 2012, 12:43:03 PM

Thanks for recommending the book, finished it and cant believe how differently I think about the things. Not had a single so called side effect since about the 12th chapter whereas I would normally be crawling the walls at this point.

Brilliant stuff. That was a quick turnaround!

Keep it up and you too can learn to pity smokers instead of envying them!

Congrats!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Amicale

Quote from: Crow on April 20, 2012, 06:11:26 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 20, 2012, 05:27:19 PM
You tried Alan Carrs book? Worked for me and I've been clean (apart from the odd special occasion cigar or pipe (tobacco only!)) for about about 9 years.

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/

It's all about (his interpretation of) the psychology of cigarette addiction. It's all in the mind. I was a 20 a day smoker and wasn't even all that determined when I read the book and just went along with it all (smoking all the way as suggested), then came the page when you have to commit... and that was the last cigarette I EVER smoked.

Which book was it that you read as I may as well give it a try, if it works fantastic if not it's only a fiver.

It's the Allen Carr book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/014103940X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334943548&sr=8-1
Worked for my wife too, but she did the course at a local Allen Carr centre for £££s. The book was enough for me.

Hey, I was just wondering. Does this book focus on smoking the cigarettes themselves, or on the nicotine addiction? Some people have a nicotine dependency even if they don't get it via cigarettes, so I was curious if this book would be of any use to those folks.