Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 10, 2012, 06:07:33 AM
Quote from: Amicale on April 10, 2012, 05:27:42 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 10, 2012, 05:11:08 AM
My grandfather (mom's father) died last night. He was devastated over the loss of my mother, so...
He was in hospital for over a month.
What a crappy year..

I'm so sorry, hon. *big huge hugs*

I'm okay. I only met him once ever, when he visited my mom at the hospice. It's just sad cuz he looked tormented after my mom died. Can people die from a "broken  heart"?
While there aren't many scientists who would ascribe to such a diagnosis, stories to that effect hsve been heard so often that there might be something to it.

Hope you're not too bummed out. :(

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

OldGit

Quote from: SDCan people die from a "broken  heart"?

Oh, yes.  I've seen it a few times, especially old folk.

Asmodean

Asmosolution: Heart transplant.  8)

I hear you can buy one off a Chinese prisoner for cheap.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

I'm sorry to hear about you not feeling well Amicale.

And Sweetdeath, I am really sorry about your grandfather.  :(

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on April 10, 2012, 10:06:24 AM
Asmosolution: Heart transplant.  8)

I hear you can buy one off a Chinese prisoner for cheap.

Asmo, buddy, 99% of the time it's cool to be funny but this ain't one of em.  :P *pokes the grey lumpy one*

SD: yeah, sometimes when someone's really upset or brokenhearted, it's possible for them to die unexpectedly. I don't think we really know why that happens, except maybe because grief is sometimes really overwhelming. A family member of mine works in nursing, and she says in elderly people, if a loved one passes away, it's often the case that they'll pass away within a year or two, sometimes less.   :'( It's sad, and it sucks. I know how rough it must have been on your grandpa when your mom passed away... and in so many ways, just as rough or more rough on you. I know you didn't know your grandfather that well at all, but I guess it probably got you thinking of stuff. Just know we're here for you.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

Quote from: Amicale on April 10, 2012, 04:48:19 PM
Asmo, buddy, 99% of the time it's cool to be funny but this ain't one of em.  :P *pokes the grey lumpy one*
Being Asmo, however... That's a full-time job with overtime, not a 99% thing.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

SD - So sorry for your loss.  Losing someone you don't know very well (like an estranged grandparent) is confusing.  My dad's dad was estranged from us and when he died I kept wondering who it was I missed out on.  Anyway, I hope that you're not too upset.  We are here for you.

Amicale - I hope you feel better soon!  Ugh for colds.  Get lots of vitamin C and zinc, both are very good for your immune system.  That's great that you have a supportive extended family there to help you with A while you're under the weather.  It's hard to take care of yourself when you are busy taking care of someone else.

Amicale

LOL, A and I just got back from the drugstore... while we were there, another young child (a boy, maybe 2, 2 and a half) pitched an absolute fit in the aisle, flailing, screaming, crying because he wanted something. I had my arms full of stuff so before I could grab A's hand, she'd marched right over to him, put her hands on her little hips, and yelled "for Christ's sake knock it OFF!"  :D

I was laughing, the boy's dad was laughing, it was too awesome. The dad said "gee, I wonder if SHE'S been told that before..." (pointing to my kid) to which I responded "Ohhhh, a time or two..." LOL

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Piratenerforsej

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on April 10, 2012, 07:54:54 PM
LOL, A and I just got back from the drugstore... while we were there, another young child (a boy, maybe 2, 2 and a half) pitched an absolute fit in the aisle, flailing, screaming, crying because he wanted something. I had my arms full of stuff so before I could grab A's hand, she'd marched right over to him, put her hands on her little hips, and yelled "for Christ's sake knock it OFF!"  :D

I was laughing, the boy's dad was laughing, it was too awesome. The dad said "gee, I wonder if SHE'S been told that before..." (pointing to my kid) to which I responded "Ohhhh, a time or two..." LOL

LMAO!!!!  That's awesome!

Crow

"Joy jumps, power praises, and prayer arms" Is there anything that religion doesn't ruin.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on April 10, 2012, 07:54:54 PM

Ahahahaha! Can you send her over the next time our little guy throws a tantrum?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: Crow on April 10, 2012, 08:09:07 PM
"Joy jumps, power praises, and prayer arms" Is there anything that religion doesn't ruin.

Is this some sort of religious workout?   :o

Crow

Quote from: Ali on April 10, 2012, 08:33:40 PM

You got it in one. I think the phrase "only in America" should be changed to "only in the bible belt" from now on.
Retired member.

Ali

Quote from: Crow on April 10, 2012, 09:21:09 PM
Quote from: Ali on April 10, 2012, 08:33:40 PM

You got it in one. I think the phrase "only in America" should be changed to "only in the bible belt" from now on.

*Sigh*  Thanks Bible Belters.  I was just thinking how America just couldn't get dumb enough to suit me.