News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

What's with the caps in sreen name?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on April 08, 2012, 06:45:26 PM
What's with the caps in sreen name?  ???
I would have thought she's not a regular forum user  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Asmo, you've been snickety lately.  You didn't like DJ's picture, you don't like Semo's screen name.  I don't like that shade of grey you're wearing.  What do you think of that, huh, huh? *Pokes Asmo where his ribs would be if he wasn't a ball of clay*

Hi Semo, and welcome.  I am originally from Southern MO as well (Joplin) although I haven't lived there since I was 6.

So, coming out to your friends.  Well, first of all, they probably aren't going to stop praying when you eat with them just because you're an atheist.  Which is okay, I think, although in truth I find it mortifying to be sitting at a table with people who are praying in public.  I'm sure the look on my face is always "I'm sorry for what they are doing right now.  I know it's embarrassing.  I'm sorry."  But point being, I think that people should be allowed to pray when they're with me, as long as they don't try to get me to do it too.

So anyway, coming out.  I don't usually bother unless someone asks me a question about my religion.  So like if one of your friends said something like "Why don't you go to church?" you could say "Because I'm not a believer."  My philosophy is that I won't ever lie about it, and if someone asks I will tell because I'm not ashamed of it, but I also don't really go out of my way to make sure people know.  I just think it's mostly a non-issue unless someone is being aggressive about their religion with me.

However, if you want to get more aggressive about coming out, I'm sure that others (Maybe His Grumpiness) will have more ideas.  

Tank

We're getting the Xmas/Easter influx today. To all the n00bs please join in  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

We have had 12 new people sign up in the last day and only 2 have posted!!!! The frustration is killing me!!!  :D

Buddy

Poor Tank! We just need to be as welcoming as possible.

Hey people, start posting already! We don't bite. Sometimes.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 08, 2012, 07:43:22 PM
Poor Tank! We just need to be as welcoming as possible.

I found this a little ironic given your current condition :(

Guardian85

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 08, 2012, 07:43:22 PM

Speek for yourself!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 08, 2012, 07:44:26 PM
I found this a little ironic given your current condition :(

Oh yea.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

ThinkAnarchy

Either Microsoft or my schools servers are making the taking of online classes more challenging than they need to be. Since they switched to making us use outlook as our email client, my incoming messages will get held up days at a time. Thanks Microsoft and/or school. I'm also now not sure if my assignment was properly emailed to my professor... Some people have had broken email accounts for months with the schools tech department being of no help.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on April 08, 2012, 07:31:32 PM
We have had 12 new people sign up in the last day and only 2 have posted!!!! The frustration is killing me!!!  :D

I sometimes wonder how many lurkers we have here.  So as of today there are at least 10!  I can understand lurking, frankly -- some people jump right in and others like to get used to the water first, and then there are those for whom visiting a forum is like reading a novel: they enjoy it without without feeling the need to write something themselves.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 08, 2012, 08:04:23 PM
Either Microsoft or my schools servers are making the taking of online classes more challenging than they need to be. Since they switched to making us use outlook as our email client, my incoming messages will get held up days at a time. Thanks Microsoft and/or school. I'm also now not sure if my assignment was properly emailed to my professor... Some people have had broken email accounts for months with the schools tech department being of no help.

Yuck. I hate it when a school forces you to use "their" e-mails. I missed the fact that I had a grant waiting for me at my school for about two weeks because they sent my notice to my obscure school e-mail that I never use. G-mail. That's where it's at.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 08, 2012, 08:11:56 PM

I sometimes wonder how many lurkers we have here.  So as of today there are at least 10!  I can understand lurking, frankly -- some people jump right in and others like to get used to the water first, and then there are those for whom visiting a forum is like reading a novel: they enjoy it without without feeling the need to write something themselves.

I notice a lot of lurkers printing things often. I always thought they were pastors or youth leaders printing up examples of how terrible we atheists are.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

DeterminedJuliet

It's funny, because there's a forum that I used to creep around on for years. I thought all of the posters there were hilarious, so I used to read everything,  but I never posted. They were super cliquey and a bit of a "boy's club", so I never felt comfortable enough to try and establish myself or "prove" that I was as funny as everyone else. So I just read everything.

It was sort of weird because I felt like I really came to know all of them, but they had no idea that I was "following along" for years.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Buddy

I lurked for a good week before I signed up here.