News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

If children are the future, people should stop brain washing them with religion

Though it is said that this generation grows with technology and will be less religious due to laptops, smartphones, ipads, and various info at their fingertips.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

It's 11:50 am and I've made myself ill with chocolate already.
Good job, me.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

el_presidente

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 08, 2012, 04:49:04 PM
If children are the future, people should stop brain washing them with religion

Though it is said that this generation grows with technology and will be less religious due to laptops, smartphones, ipads, and various info at their fingertips.

Nothing beats asking questions and hearing others ask the same.  I think one of the largest draws to religion is the idea of "I'm not alone" both in the sense of there being a supreme being, and the sense that there are others who persist in believing something thus it must be true and I can be a part of that.  It's human nature, and it works for skepticism just as well.
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.  God won't do it, so we must do it ourselves.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on April 08, 2012, 09:18:09 AM
She probably just got fed up with it or your physical size has reached a threat level it didn't have when you were younger/smaller.

Ah, Tank, Tank, Tank...  :D

Didn't anyone ever tell you to run for your LIFE after making comments about a woman's physical size reaching a threat level?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Budhorse, glad it's slowly feeling better! Take it easy. Hope it heals up pronto.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Sorry you got bit, Buddy.   :(  Tank, that's interesting about the whole "body space thing" and dogs not liking it the way we do.  I never really thought about it before, but I have noticed that my dog doesn't really seem into it when I give her a hug.  Something about her body language - it's not threatening at all, just kind of like "eh, get off of me." So I don't hug her any more.  

On a completely separate topic, I think I'm going to organize a get together to knit vaginas for congress.  Yes, you read that right.

http://www.governmentfreevjj.com/

I'm still all riled about Arizona.

DeterminedJuliet

If I could knit, I'd be all about it!

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Ahaha!
I would learn how to knit just to do  this.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on April 08, 2012, 05:11:44 PM
Sorry you got bit, Buddy.   :(  Tank, that's interesting about the whole "body space thing" and dogs not liking it the way we do.  I never really thought about it before, but I have noticed that my dog doesn't really seem into it when I give her a hug.  Something about her body language - it's not threatening at all, just kind of like "eh, get off of me." So I don't hug her any more.  

A very simple way of telling if a dog likes what you are doing, rather than merely tolerating it, is if they shake themselves (like they would shake off water) after you stop doing it. If they shake themselves they probably were just tolerating what you were doing. I learned that from a very experienced (don't laugh) dog psychologist. He had decades of experience rehabilitating dangerous dogs. He worked at the Dogs Trust who have looked after probably millions of ill treated and abandoned dogs.

Another disapproval indicator is licking their nose while giving you the 'stink eye' look.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

There are tutorials on the site.  I'm totally going to send one to my Representative, Mike Coffman.  I just did a little research and found out that Dude cosponsored the "No Tax Payer Funding for Abortions Act" which would prohibit all women from obtaining abortion coverage through a health care plan if just one woman under the plan received a dollar of federal funds to help her pay for the plan. I believe Rep Coffman needs a VJJ of his very own to make decisions about.   ;)

Ali

Quote from: Tank on April 08, 2012, 05:24:33 PM

A very simple way of telling if a dog likes what you are doing, rather than merely tolerating it, is if they shake themselves (like they would shake off water) after you stop doing it. If they shake themselves they probably were just tolerating what you were doing. I learned that from a very experienced (don't laugh) dog psychologist. He had decades of experience rehabilitating dangerous dogs. He worked at the Dogs Trust who have looked after probably millions of ill treated and abandoned dogs.

Another disapproval indicator is licking their nose while giving you the 'stink eye' look.

Very interesting!  Thanks for the tips!

Guardian85

On a completely separate topic, I think I'm going to organize a get together to knit vaginas for congress.  Yes, you read that right.
I had to read that twice just to be sure.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 08, 2012, 05:55:21 PM
I had to read that twice just to be sure.
Yes, one could definitely get in a mess if one read it wrong.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

SEMO FREE THINKER

I heard about the HAF while listening to McLaughlin Report on TV.  WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!  I am brand new to the forum but have been an atheist for most of my life (since about age 12 and now age 56) even though I have not been allowed out of the closet for the most part here in the bible belt.  How can I come out to my friends, who by the way pray every time we go to lunch together.  I just go ahead and start eating.  It is annoying me and I'm tired of just going along with their delusions.  Is that petty?  I am just tired of not believing in the believing center of USA (southeast missouri) where there are 2 churches in my little town but no grocery stores or gas stations.  I just have no "free thinking" friends to talk to around here.

Tank

Quote from: SEMO FREE THINKER on April 08, 2012, 06:04:15 PM
I heard about the HAF while listening to McLaughlin Report on TV.  WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!  I am brand new to the forum but have been an atheist for most of my life (since about age 12 and now age 56) even though I have not been allowed out of the closet for the most part here in the bible belt.  How can I come out to my friends, who by the way pray every time we go to lunch together.  I just go ahead and start eating.  It is annoying me and I'm tired of just going along with their delusions.  Is that petty?  I am just tired of not believing in the believing center of USA (southeast missouri) where there are 2 churches in my little town but no grocery stores or gas stations.  I just have no "free thinking" friends to talk to around here.

Hi SFT (see you're an acronym already  ;D )

Look at the list below and you'll see a link to a thread 'How to tell your family you are an atheist.' you may find useful. It's more aimed at teenagers but I sure you can pick out the important bits.

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

Sweetdeath

Hello, Semo.
You sadly might have to move out of the country to ever really escape religion.
Welcome to HAF.