News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lebrecht52

I cannot wait for the elections to be over.
Frightening to watch and see how much religion is in our political system.

More frightening to see the politics in our Supreme court.

If I hear one more time that this is a Christian Nation, I will scream.

el_presidente

I really enjoy Irish Dry Stout beers at the end of the day.  Also, I'm glad that so many people are turning to Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire if you prefer).  That series changed my life way back in 1998.
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.  God won't do it, so we must do it ourselves.

Tank

Quote from: lebrecht52 on April 07, 2012, 06:42:02 AM
I cannot wait for the elections to be over.
Frightening to watch and see how much religion is in our political system.

More frightening to see the politics in our Supreme court.

If I hear one more time that this is a Christian Nation, I will scream.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

You and me both, Tank.

LOL, Homer. xD

But no one has been elected if they weren't christian I think.... *sigh*
I remember some people didn't vote for Obama because they thought he was Muslim. *facepalm* >___<
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 07, 2012, 12:59:26 PM
You and me both, Tank.

LOL, Homer. xD

But no one has been elected if they weren't christian I think.... *sigh*
I remember some people didn't vote for Obama because they thought he was Muslim. *facepalm* >___<

Some people STILL think he's Muslim. Whenever they write his name, they emphasize his middle name, just to make a stupid "point". *facepalms too*

All I can say is...  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/americas/us-election/us-election-blog/live-long-prosper-and-get-re-elected-obama-displays-his-vulcan-salute/article2392191/

Despite any of his policies people dislike... That man is a Trekkie and he just scored points with me...  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Do you know the story behind the 'Live long and prosper' hand sign?

QuoteIn his autobiography I Am Not Spock, Nimoy wrote that he based it on the Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands, thumb to thumb in this same position, representing the Hebrew letter Shin (ש), which has three upward strokes similar to the position of the thumb and fingers in the salute. The letter Shin here stands for Shaddai, meaning "Almighty (God)". Nimoy wrote that when he was a child, his grandfather took him to an Orthodox synagogue. There he saw the blessing performed and was very impressed by it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on April 07, 2012, 01:30:48 PM
Do you know the story behind the 'Live long and prosper' hand sign?

QuoteIn his autobiography I Am Not Spock, Nimoy wrote that he based it on the Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands, thumb to thumb in this same position, representing the Hebrew letter Shin (ש), which has three upward strokes similar to the position of the thumb and fingers in the salute. The letter Shin here stands for Shaddai, meaning "Almighty (God)". Nimoy wrote that when he was a child, his grandfather took him to an Orthodox synagogue. There he saw the blessing performed and was very impressed by it.

Hmm, interesting! I did not know that. :) Thanks!

Still, I'd bet that most people associate the sign with Star Trek (a fairly humanist-leaning, very geeky show) moreso than the Jewish blessing. My guess is Obama's a Trekkie. I haven't heard anyone yet say he's secretly Jewish.  :D

Anyway, him throwing the sign made me laugh when I heard it. I've never seen Bush Jr make that sign. The most he flubbed up was 'I love you' in ASL, which came out butchered as

:D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Amicale

On my mind today: due to a mix-up in time differences, I got up INSANELY early for a student who in fact was due to show up hours from now.  :P

Coffeeeee.... *stumbles off to the kitchen*

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on April 07, 2012, 01:47:24 PM

Butchered?  This is literally the coolest thing I've ever seen Gee-Dub do.  Look at the look on his face!  Rockin' it. 

Guardian85

Quote from: Amicale on April 07, 2012, 02:01:34 PM
On my mind today: due to a mix-up in time differences, I got up INSANELY early for a student who in fact was due to show up hours from now.  :P

Coffeeeee.... *stumbles off to the kitchen*

Yes. Coffee. A whole glorious day off, with nothing to do. Just cooling it and drinking coffee.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

You do know that signature image is way bigger than the example in the rules?  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on April 07, 2012, 03:45:51 PM
You do know that signature image is way bigger than the example in the rules?  >:(
Do you usually frown at a victory over compliance?

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on April 07, 2012, 03:18:19 PM
Quote from: Amicale on April 07, 2012, 01:47:24 PM

Butchered?  This is literally the coolest thing I've ever seen Gee-Dub do.  Look at the look on his face!  Rockin' it. 

;D The hilarious part is that he's rocking it without even meaning to rock it!

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 07, 2012, 03:49:21 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 07, 2012, 03:45:51 PM
You do know that signature image is way bigger than the example in the rules?  >:(
Do you usually frown at a victory over compliance?
Is what I do.

(Actually, using a big and colorful image in one's signature makes the forum look messy, especially when the posts take less place than the sig)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.