News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

I think it's great if you can use your experience to get a new job that you enjoy while you finish your program.  Good luck!!!

philosoraptor

I'm thinking of the tasty Greek-Lebanese restaurant we're going to to celebrate our one year court house anniversary.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Siz

I'm at the O2 arena in London watching 'Diversity' from a VIP box provided by my wifes work. Free drinks are flowing...

I'm having a jolly nice time  ;D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Recusant

*expresses appropriate level of envy*  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Guardian85

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 04, 2012, 09:09:43 PM
I'm at the O2 arena in London watching 'Diversity' from a VIP box provided by my wifes work. Free drinks are flowing...

Turning slightly green with envy...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Huzzah for free drinks!  I am going to my inlaws' tonight.  I imagine there will be wine or cocktails, but I have to help get ready for Passover, so I wouldn't call them free.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

history_geek

It's surprisingly fun thinking about different saying in languages and then thinking what's an equivalent in some other language.

For example, the Finnish equivalent for "gut feeling" would be "perstuntuma / persetuntuma". "Tuntuma" (from the word tuntea) translates as "feeling", while "perse" (pers- being a shortened slang verion) means ass or butt.

I wonder if I could get away with a poor pun about trusting final products rather then the process....I doubt it.

;D

Just to cheer your day. Or in my case, night. Almost 3am in here. Time to go and get some sleep...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Sweetdeath

Amusingly got the most wicked bellyache from drinking too much soy milk.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: history_geek on April 05, 2012, 12:53:05 AM
For example, the Finnish equivalent for "gut feeling" would be "perstuntuma / persetuntuma".

The expression "intestinal fortitude," I've heard it many times but never thought much about it.  The gist of it was pretty obvious but until today I'd never figured out it was just a snobby way of saying guts.

Amicale

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 05, 2012, 06:59:25 AM
Quote from: history_geek on April 05, 2012, 12:53:05 AM
For example, the Finnish equivalent for "gut feeling" would be "perstuntuma / persetuntuma".

The expression "intestinal fortitude," I've heard it many times but never thought much about it.  The gist of it was pretty obvious but until today I'd never figured out it was just a snobby way of saying guts.

I like the expression a friend of mine uses. When he wants to say a woman has 'guts' or 'intestinal fortitude', he says she has brass ovaries.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 04, 2012, 09:09:43 PM

Very cool!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Computer issues. I'm up late doing some work online like usual, then my net connection suddenly went down, said it couldn't connect to the DNS server. I rebooted, hoping that would fix it... no luck. So I rebooted my router. Nada. Then my modem. Nada. Very stupidly tried to do a system restore on my laptop, thinking maybe the last Windows update had screwed something up. Doing that was a big mistake, because now it boots to my usual login screen, and then after I type in my password, the screen just loads to black. Argh.

Booted in safe mode. Finally discovered I could connect to the internet after I tried rebooting everything AGAIN, and finally got back online...

But I don't know why it won't let me load up my usual desktop. Working in safe mode with networking now, trying to get the blasted thing fixed. I have a student in 5 hours, I need Skype by then.

*continues to rant to self*

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 07:19:53 AM
I like the expression a friend of mine uses. When he wants to say a woman has 'guts' or 'intestinal fortitude', he says she has brass ovaries.  :D

Well, I guess it could be used instead of brass balls.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Jimmy

Going for a nice walk and then catch some lunch at a local joint. They have this AMAZING Buffalo Chicken sandwich that truely is the BEST I've ever had. I'll even top it off with an ice cold lager :) Probably Sam Adams or Yuengling........
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~