News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Welcome, RFML!

I am feeling really happy for the first time in a long, long time. We went out for a gorgeous, long walk and A played in the park (she's addicted to the swings), then stopped for an icecream cone on the way back home. It'll wreck her appetite for dinner but it's so sunny and mild out that we didn't even need jackets going outside, and it's just a bright, nice day -- so we had icecream for 'dessert first'. She had it allll over her face and down her shirt, and she looked delighted when I showed her what she looked like in a mirror. :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

There's nothing like a little kid and an ice cream cone to perk up the spirits.  Sounds like a great afternoon.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

if you take the fun out of fundamentalism, it sounds like adherence to a mental disorder... In rap-speak (da = the)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

My grandson has a cold. How come something so small can A) produce sooo much snot, and B) be so upset when you try and remove it!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

So, apparently there was a fire on an old chemical factory that is right down the road from me on Saturday. According to the news, the smoke could be seen and smelled from three cities over and people around had to be evacuated. I even heard that the roof exploded. Did I see of hear it? Nope, I'm forever oblivious.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

philosoraptor

WBC would be more amusing if they didn't insist on picketing military funerals and intruding on people's grief with their hate speech.  That's the curse of America-these fucksticks are still protected by the 1st Amendment.  Where do we draw the line?  When does a family's right to grieve without such an intrusion become more important than these low life's right to free speech?  It sickens me, and it's personal because they attempted to picket the funeral of one of my friend's who was killed in Iraq by an IED.  The Occupy movement protestors get pepper sprayed, and these people are allowed to pretty much roam and protest freely with minimal intervention on the part of the law.  I don't get it.  It boggles the mind.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Guardian85

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on March 12, 2012, 06:29:21 PM
Yes, let me clarify. I don't think them picketing soldiers' funerals is amusing.

While I don't condone violence, I am sort of looking forward to the day WBC pickets a marine's funeral while all his buddies are there!  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 12, 2012, 10:33:16 PM
Yes, let me clarify. I don't think them picketing soldiers' funerals is amusing.

While I don't condone violence, I am sort of looking forward to the day WBC pickets a marine's funeral while all his buddies are there!  ;D

I don't generally condone it either, but if there's one group in need of a good, solid kick in the rear end, it's them. And I'd volunteer to give it, too.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

philosoraptor

Yes, let me clarify. I don't think them picketing soldiers' funerals is amusing. What I find amusing is the fact that they're grasping at straws to find things to picket at and re-using signs that have minimal relation to what they're actually protesting.

No, I gotcha.  I don't think most people would find funeral protests funny.  You just brought up WBC, and it reminded me how much it infuriates me that they breathe the same air that decent human beings do.
-Muse

Amicale

On my mind: I have new students to tutor, and I am very happy about that!!  ;D

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on March 13, 2012, 06:58:01 AM
On my mind: I have new students to tutor, and I am very happy about that!!  ;D
Fresh meet of fresh meat!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Cutting out caffeine cold turkey is a bitch. I slept for 14/24 hours yesterday! Feeling much better today.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

philosoraptor

I hate Daylight Savings Time.  I went to bed at 2am and woke up at 6am.  Why, Flying Spaghetti Monster?  Why?  :(
-Muse

Sandra Craft

Quote from: philosoraptor on March 13, 2012, 12:18:28 PM
I hate Daylight Savings Time.  I went to bed at 2am and woke up at 6am.  Why, Flying Spaghetti Monster?  Why?  :(

I'd like to know that too, esp. since not every state does it and I can't think of a single reason in the world why the rest shouldn't drop the practice.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 13, 2012, 11:59:58 AM
Cutting out caffeine cold turkey is a bitch. I slept for 14/24 hours yesterday! Feeling much better today.

I can sympathize. I've had to cut it out before too... the crash is just rotten. So are the headaches and the craving feelings!